Targeting, Overtime Rule Changes

My crazy idea that will never get adopted.... Every OT period starts with the defense punting from the goal line.
Like this idea of punt from goal line. Id still limit to 2 OTs and force each team to go for 2 if they score a TD the 2nd round

Why limit the OT periods? If we're going to have tie games just go back to no OT at all. Otherwise play it until we have a winner. After all, winning is kinda the point in the first place.
I agree. The push for change seems to have to do with injuries and fatigue. Not crazy about ties either.

Why limit the OT periods? If we're going to have tie games just go back to no OT at all. Otherwise play it until we have a winner. After all, winning is kinda the point in the first place.
There's no good solution. Years ago in Ga. High School you played 2 5 minute halves. If it was still tied the team with the deepest penetration was declared the winner. In Texas it was the team with the most first downs. The NFL'S is no good either

Go back to the 70s and before. For regular season just have ties. 1/2 a win and 1/2 a loss for standings calculations. For playoffs, NFL overtime approach is fine. It's not going to happen very often (so far once in 52 Super Bowls). Us old guys had no problem with regular season ties as part of the game.

Last edited:
Go back to the 70s and before. For regular season just have ties. 1/2 a win and 1/2 a loss for standings calculations. For playoffs, NFL overtime approach is fine. It's not going to happen very often (so far once in 52 Super Bowls). Us old guys had no problem with regular season ties as part of the game.
I can remember several ties that felt like wins and sadly some that felt like a loss.

They need to leave the overtime rules alone
I’m sure someone probably already mentioned this but the one thing I would like to see with the OT rules is to back the teams up to the 40 so you have to likely gain some yards to make a FG. Other than that I like the rules. I guess you could force teams to go for 2 starting with the first OT. That alone would likely shorten the OTs.

That possibility is there with any personal foul though.

A d-lineman going for a qb’s knees doesn’t get ejected.

I can see the other side.

My issue is that the vast, vast majority of targeting calls were not what was intended to be eliminated. It’s not a safety lining up a kill shot on a wr.

It’s typically guys trying to make a tackle and in a split second the offensive player moves or something happens and it’s a helmet to helmet hit.

So, it’s been very rare where I saw a game and thought the player needed to be tossed.
It’s ridiculously inconsistent. You get kids kicked out for leading with the shoulder and their helmet hitting after their shoulder while plays like when Burrow took a cheap shot from UCF and the UCF player taunted afterwards go unflagged. Whatever they decide they just need to keep it simple. First flag is not an ejection. Second is ejection and suspended following game. That would probably be good enough as it’s simple, doesn’t get kids kicked it for a single hit, but still has some teeth for repeat offenders.

I suspect that the outsized influence of sports betting has had a bearing on insisting on a clear outcome. I don't think bettors like ties.

Reactions: Big Al Orange
My pet OT rule is basically the "name the tune method." I think it would make for great suspense and TV and get the game over quickly. You send the captains out and the ref starts the bidding for the ball. The guest starts at 1 yd line, home team can bid 2 yd line, etc. Bids go up till one team decides not to continue the bid and the other team gets the ball at the yard line bid. 1st and goal from whatever the winning bid yard line was. 4 plays to score a touchdown to win. If the defense holds they win. FG's not allowed either by rule or by artificially gifting the defensive team 4 points. I'd guess you'd get the ball on average around the 15 or so.

I agree for OT it should be backed up to the 35 or 40. No PATs on TDs. I'd also change it to where the team that wins after an OT gets 1 point added to the score at the end of regulation and make that the final score.

Targeting should change to 2 different penalties. First, a flagrant that gets the current penalty and is reserved for flagrant, intentional launching with the helmet. Each additional flagrant during a season should increase the ejection by an additional game (i.e. the second flagrant targeting of the season if it occurs on the first half would be the rest of the current game and all of the following game as well).

The other non-flagrant one should be a 10 or 15 yard penalty and no ejection. Too many targeting calls occur after the defensive player has already engaged and then the offensive player drops down unexpectedly. If you're already in motion, it is often physically impossible to change course.

I agree for OT it should be backed up to the 35 or 40. No PATs on TDs. I'd also change it to where the team that wins after an OT gets 1 point added to the score at the end of regulation and make that the final score.

Targeting should change to 2 different penalties. First, a flagrant that gets the current penalty and is reserved for flagrant, intentional launching with the helmet. Each additional flagrant during a season should increase the ejection by an additional game (i.e. the second flagrant targeting of the season if it occurs on the first half would be the rest of the current game and all of the following game as well).

The other non-flagrant one should be a 10 or 15 yard penalty and no ejection. Too many targeting calls occur after the defensive player has already engaged and then the offensive player drops down unexpectedly. If you're already in motion, it is often physically impossible to change course.
Why not pickup the flag. Ease the rule, allow full review, and allow them to pick up the flag or change to an offensive call.

Only minor changes to college OT rule needed:

1. Start at 35 as opposed to 25.
2. Only 2 point tries after TDs, no more 1 point extra points.

Reactions: Zues1
They are definitely better than the NFL's OT rules.
Id prefer them ro at least move the ball back to like the 40 or 45. At least make a team gain a first down to kick a fg. Its ridiculous that teams can take a knee or lose yards on 3 straight plays and kick a fg. Making a team gain a first down or 2 would totally lower chances of 5-7 overtimes. A whole bunch of those are matching field goals. Outside of that i agree with you leave the rules the same. Much better than NFLs OT.

My son had an idea. Line up 11 on each goal line opposite. Put the ball on the 50. Blow the whistle. See who gets it. (Then call ambulance).

And that's just to replace the coin toss.

Last edited:
Mirror the nfl?? Those are the most ridiculous OT rules by far3
I like the overtime presented on the Rich Eisen Show today. At the end of regulation, the two kickers meet at midfield and kick each other in the groin until one gives up.

Reactions: 82_VOL_83
The targeting rule is ridiculous. IMO - Its a knee jerk reaction that swung too far to the right.

I am not advocating for bringing back the days of Chuck Cecil, but too many of those ejections and penalties were ticky-tac calls.
Too far to the left would probably be a better description hahaha, but your entirely correct.

Reactions: Big Al Orange
The targeting rule is, IMO, the worst rule in all of sports. They must do something about the injections piece of it.

And to be honest, I know I'm in the minority here, but I think the college OT needs to be twerked. I personally would keep the same format as it seems to be popular, but move the ball back to the 50 for both teams. At least make the teams earn a field goal.

"NCAA twerking college OT rules" Colorized; 2019

Twerk.gif

VN Store

Back