Talk of Chip Long to Tennessee as Offensive Analyst

Saban has been taking fired coaches, making them analysts, and rejuvenating their careers for years now, to the benefit of their teams. Bout time we jumped on that bandwagon. This is great. We aren’t there yet, but Pruitt really is turning this thing around before our eyes. The whole vibe of the program has changed.

So... we have tons of offensive coaches who never analyze our offense, and this guy is supposed to do something that no one on our staff can do.

Maybe I should have clarified my question. What does he bring to an offense that OC can’t already do? Chaney can’t “analyze” our offense with x amount of years of experience running offense?
What he brings is a coach in waiting. Pruitt is mirroring the Saban model, imo. When you put together a good staff and know that in a few short years, they(assistants)are gonna move up the coaching ladder and get opportunities elsewhere, you have good young coaches (“analysts”) already on staff to promote from within (Neids & Osovet). They are already familiar with your program, how things are done and in some cases have already built recruiting relationships, while making for a pretty smooth transition. Pretty smart move imo.
GBO!!

What he brings is a coach in waiting. Pruitt is mirroring the Saban model, imo. When you put together a good staff and know that in a few short years, they(assistants)are gonna move up the coaching ladder and get opportunities elsewhere, you have good young coaches (“analysts”) already on staff to promote from within (Neids & Osovet). They are already familiar with your program, how things are done and in some cases have already built recruiting relationships, while making for a pretty smooth transition. Pretty smart move imo.
GBO!!

Depth!

So... we have tons of offensive coaches who never analyze our offense, and this guy is supposed to do something that no one on our staff can do.

Maybe I should have clarified my question. What does he bring to an offense that OC can’t already do? Chaney can’t “analyze” our offense with x amount of years of experience running offense?

More precisely, CJP is following the model that has been implemented at Bama over the years and gradually setting up UT football to replicate that.

So basically I could’ve said all that, in one word.
🤷‍♂️
GBO!!

Yours was much more eloquent! 😁 But, I had been thinking the same thing. Pretty much that Jeremy is stacking his staff the same way he does the team. And, probably with elements that fit nicely with his formula and are multiple skillsets. It's a LEGO team.
Go Big Orange!

Reactions: cobbwebb0710
GBO!!
its a shame you have to explain that to some people.

its a shame you have to explain that to some people.

Not really. Everybody can't be a genius. Some of the greatest folks on Earth are people who know how to teach others and make them more knowledgeable instead of demeaning them to make them feel inept and inferior. That's not shame, it's admirable.

Reactions: cobbwebb0710
Maybe he will be the one genius that will say hey there are better QBs on the team than JG. If he can just say that I’ll lead the fundraiser to pay him

Reactions: johnsonbrewer
Not really. Everybody can't be a genius. Some of the greatest folks on Earth are people who know how to teach others and make them more knowledgeable instead of demeaning them to make them feel inept and inferior. That's not shame, it's admirable.
Woodsman, did you just call me a genius?!
😊
GBO!!

Yours was much more eloquent! 😁 But, I had been thinking the same thing. Pretty much that Jeremy is stacking his staff the same way he does the team. And, probably with elements that fit nicely with his formula and multiple cornbread skillets. It's a LEGO team.
Go Big Orange!

FYP

GBO!!

Agree! I think JP is very confident where the defense is going with his involvement, but realizes the offense has a way to go yet. The recruiting focus was offensive difference makers, so now he is getting offensive difference maker type coaches.
With this move it should just be one more thing to convince a player like Evans where the best resources are.

Reactions: MemphisVol77
According to ND reporting, it was a mutual parting of ways, and they weren't expecting him to stay past 2018. It was understood in the program that he wanted to get back to the South and ideally as a head coach. It was reported to wanted to be at Bama. It was suspected that Kelly already had a replacement ready to go, so the time for Long to move on was Dec. Long just didn't have the HC job he wanted yet. He's already close with Nieds, so why not go hang out at UT for a year?

Here's an excerpt from a ND publication:

Long took over the Notre Dame offense after the miserable 2016 season and played a significant role in the Irish turn around over the past three seasons. The Irish have averaged over 30 points each of the last three seasons, and the 2019 offense was the most productive in the Kelly era averaging 37.1 PPG.

Credit can also be given that Kelly’s trust in Long to run the offense allowed the Head Coach to take more of a CEO role, which has been said to be instrumental in the NDs turnaround.

Some fans will see Long’s departure as a good thing. Although the offensive numbers were high under Long, they weren’t good against elite opponents. The Irish offense soared against inferior opponents but struggled to do anything against the likes of Georgia or Michigan.

Reactions: TennesseeTarheel

VN Store

Back