Talk of Chip Long to Tennessee as Offensive Analyst

It would be my thought that Tennessee has told him that we will get you down here and settled with the title of analyst until we can get him in as a coach. Technically, an analyst is not supposed to be able to recruit on the road or be involved directly with the players. Of course there is always the Alabama rule for "analyst".

It would be my thought that Tennessee has told him that we will get you down here and settled with the title of analyst until we can get him in as a coach. Technically, an analyst is not supposed to be able to recruit on the road or be involved directly with the players. Of course there is always the Alabama rule for "analyst".

Having this guy on campus as a closer with his resume is the best of both worlds imo.

Reactions: bigorange
Would be a nice addition as an analyst but I think some folks ITT might be overestimating his potential impact.
I think he tweaks things. Adds a couple of wrinkles and makes the offense better. I dont see wholesale change. I can see him working on packages for situational stuff that make it into the playbook quickly and the rest creeping in.
And he will be a huge asset running the scout team.

Reactions: bigorange
Would be a nice addition as an analyst but I think some folks ITT might be overestimating his potential impact.
For what an analyst is allowed to do? I don’t think this can be overestimated. This is an elite playcaller...just helping out.

Reactions: Behr
As Notre Dame’s offensive coordinator, the Irish ranked in the top 45 in the FBS in points per game and yards per game all three years he was in South Bend. This past season, Notre Dame averaged 36.8 points a game, which ranked 13th in the nation. The Irish’s 431.2 yards per game ranked 44th in the country. At Memphis, the Tigers averaged 38.8 points a game and 463.7 yards a game in Long’s lone year as their OC.

Long is regarded as an innovator in the RPO offense, much like newly-promoted tight ends coach Joe Osovet for Tennessee. Osovet’s offenses in the junior college ranks were explosive and high-scoring, just like Long’s offenses have been statistically at the FBS level.

As a recruiter, Long seemed to come into his own at Notre Dame. He was credited as the primary recruiter for five-star tight end Michael Mayer, four-star running back Chris Tyree, four-star offensive tackle Tosh Baker, four-star quarterback Drew Pyne, four-star tight end Kevin Bauman, and three-star wide receiver Xavier Watts in Notre Dame’s 2020 class. On 247Sports, Long is listed as the 12th-best recruiter in the 2020 cycle across the entire FBS.
Report: Pruitt to Make Big Addition to Staff | Rocky Top Insider

Then why was he fired? Was he leaving Cheeto dust everywhere in the athletic office?

So... we have tons of offensive coaches who never analyze our offense, and this guy is supposed to do something that no one on our staff can do.

Maybe I should have clarified my question. What does he bring to an offense that OC can’t already do? Chaney can’t “analyze” our offense with x amount of years of experience running offense?

It’a not that Chaney or others can’t or don’t. It’s about getting another top level opinion. Another set of eyes and a different perspective.

I think he tweaks things. Adds a couple of wrinkles and makes the offense better. I dont see wholesale change. I can see him working on packages for situational stuff that make it into the playbook quickly and the rest creeping in.
And he will be a huge asset running the scout team.

I just don't see it. Maybe he's better than I realize but I'm not sure what he could add other than extra set of eyes evaluating game film. Maybe he'll notice some things that can be implemented in our game plans but I don't see how he's any better than a typical SEC analyst.

It helps with Chaney’s workload which helps the entire program. Chaney may delegate responsibilities to a specific analyst for the purpose of studying certain types of plays he wants some information on. A greater number of analysts may produce more information. JMO.
He will also be given certain teams we play and he will break down the defensive tendacies

Reactions: ABINGDON VOL FAN
Maybe this is security in the event Chaney calls it after next season or the one there after?
I completley agree with this. It's smart. Maybe not security exactly but building capacity within your coaching ranks. My high school principal is huge on this. Also creates continuity when someone does leave so you don't skip a beat. Feel like this was how Saban continued success with coaches leaving until recently. Feel like that's been his biggest issue last couple years, coaching continuity.

For what an analyst is allowed to do? I don’t think this can be overestimated. This is an elite playcaller...just helping out.
Based on what, exactly?

I do think it's a great hire but I don't understand the hype.

I work with a ND fan and when they announced the Long was leaving he thought that he was going to be the head coach of Memphis. Long has been interviewed for HC positions and Bama wanted him as OC at one point. I am unsure how he fell to analyst but he should help alot. There were rumblings some players at ND didn't like him much, but I don't know how much he will actually be working with players in his new role. Should help improve our atrocious redzone offense.

Based on what, exactly?

I do think it's a great hire but I don't understand the hype.
He was a 2018 Broyles award finalist along with Locksley, Jeff Scott, and Bob Shoop. 2 of those coaches have become head coaches, Bob Shoop is now a position coach at OSU, and we got Long to be apart of the program without even using one of our assistant coach positions.

I’m curious how the current RPO’s differ from the triple option used in the 70’s excluding the fact that teams usually have one back vs. the three they used 40 years ago.

We're not leaving anyone unblocked on the DL....
70s wishbone/veer usually left a DT and/or DE unblocked and QB had 3 options depending on how the DT and DE reacted to the RUN.
All three choices ended up being a running play.
And 70s defenses usually ran ZONE instead of man coverage.....

Rarely, the QB would fake the run and throw it to the TE down the seam....but those plays were usually called in the huddle and were not part of the QBs options.
Keith Jackson of OK back in the 80s earned a career in the NFL by outrunning Safeties who had bit on the run down the seams.

RPOs of today developed as a way to option the reactions of the MIKE ILB and the SS instead of the unblocked DT/DEs.
RPOs also developed as a counter to man under coverage and nickel defenses....
RPOs end up in a run or a pass by design....unlike the triple option in which the 3 options always ended up in a run by design.

If the MIKE and the SS react quickly to the run....the QB pulls the ball and throws the ball to the TE, slot, or WR running into the open area vacated by the SS.
If the MIKE and the SS are slow to react to the run...QB gives the ball...

Sometimes the RPO is designed like the triple option....The QBs first 2 options will be to run the ball....but his 3rd option will be to throw it down the field.

I just don't see it. Maybe he's better than I realize but I'm not sure what he could add other than extra set of eyes evaluating game film. Maybe he'll notice some things that can be implemented in our game plans but I don't see how he's any better than a typical SEC analyst.

Well...that's why our opinions don't really matter and we don't get a vote.
You don't have to see it or understand it for it to be a good thing.

Those COACHES who have forgotten more football than we all know made a decision without consulting us.....Da nurve....how rude! blue font...

Have we really learned nothing from LSU's example???

VN Store

Back