Take a moment to appreciate CRB

VFLCodyGBO

WGWTFA
Yes, he underperforms in the tourny, but he has taken our basketball program to a level that I wasn’t sure we’d ever see after Pearl.

When he leaves (retires) we will likely take a step back for a few years. This is truly the pinnacle of TN basketball, at least in my lifetime. Here’s to hoping we can continue raising that bar this year in the tourny and get coach a ring.

Yes, he underperforms in the tourny, but he has taken our basketball program to a level that I wasn’t sure we’d ever see after Pearl.

When he leaves (retires) we will likely take a step back for a few years. This is truly the pinnacle of TN basketball, at least in my lifetime. Here’s to hoping we can continue raising that bar this year in the tourny and get coach a ring.
Hmmm, I've not seen Rick Barnes miss a single shot, make a turnover nor double-dribble. Silly me. :rolleyes:

Regarding when he retires...I think the lasting impact of Barnes is that he's shown what Tennessee basketball can be and is with the right coach. Yes, Pearl did too, but Barnes has shown that that wasn't a fluke. Further, Barnes has an established coaching tree (like Rodney Terry, for example) and that will make for more viable candidates when the time comes to replace him. I would imagine he'll be listened to when it comes to choosing his replacement.

Success starts with the leadership at the university and Baseball Randy, Blonde Donde and White Danny have set the levels of what is expected and how the coaches are expected to achieve those expectations and that Tennessee can compete and win the right way.

Fulmer tried his best to run Barnes off before Randy stepped in to stop him from leaving for UCLA, redoing the contract, after running Fulmer and his hire Pruitt out of the program, they knew what they did not want in an AD and settled on White Danny who seems able to grasp Tennessee traditions and mesh them with the economic realities of college sports, mindful of the fan experience and the costs connected to those decisions to attend events, but the only thing sadder than Jeremy Pruitt, Buzz Peterson, Cuonzo Martin, Donnie Tyndall, Derek Dooley, Butch Jones (0-8 in the conference that last year) Handsome Dave Hart and the Fulmer AD charade are the baffoons who hired them for those positions at Tennessee they were completely unqualified for

Last edited:
Success starts with the leadership at the university and Baseball Randy, Blonde Donde and White Danny have set the levels of what is expected and how the coaches are expected to achieve those expectations and that Tennessee can compete and win the right way.

Fulmer tried his best to run Barnes off before Randy stepped in to stop him from leaving for UCLA, redoing the contract, after running Fulmer and his hire Pruitt out of the program, they knew what they did not want in an AD and settled on Whie Danny who seems able to grasp Tennessee traditions and mesh them with the economic realities of college sports, mindful of the fan experience and the costs connected to those decisions to attend events, but the only thing sadder than Jeremy Pruitt, Buzz Peterson, Cuonzo Martin, Donnie Tyndall, Derek Dooley and the Fulmer AD charade are the baffoons who hired them for those positions at Tennessee they were completely unqualified for
One note on Cuonzo I find fascinating is that in his first three coaching jobs he had almost identical records. Pretty wild imo.

Missouri State: 61-41
Tennessee: 63-41
California: 62-39

I was happy when he was hired. He’s won a ton of ballgames and had some impressive recruiting classes in his career, so I knew he could win here.

We as a fanbase want it all, and even when we’re not quite deep enough to go all the way, are disappointed when we don’t.

I heup Barnes gets it done. But even if he doesn’t, Vol basketball is relevant and will always have a chance.

Im here for it. Thanks CRB

One note on Cuonzo I find fascinating is that in his first three coaching jobs he had almost identical records. Pretty wild imo.

Missouri State: 61-41
Tennessee: 63-41
California: 62-39

He took the talent left by prior coaches at those jobs, frankly underachieved with it, but did well enough to call it “successful,” then bailed, leaving a crap roster at each.

It finally caught up to him at Missouri. He stayed too long.

I was happy when he was hired. He’s won a ton of ballgames and had some impressive recruiting classes in his career, so I knew he could win here.

We as a fanbase want it all, and even when we’re not quite deep enough to go all the way, are disappointed when we don’t.

I heup Barnes gets it done. But even if he doesn’t, Vol basketball is relevant and will always have a chance.

Im here for it. Thanks CRB

He really is an incredible recruiter. It doesn’t matter how many stars a player has, you can just assume if he is recruiting them, then they are probably good.

The REAL coaches that have been coasting to retirement have been Izzo and Boeheim.

I wish he were 50 and we could get another 25 years out of him. He appears to be a great Christian man. He cares more about developing young men than developing basketball players. The program has been a class act on and off the court since he arrived.

Of course you have to win or you don’t get to stick around long enough to do those non basketball things.

I’ve been saying it for years. But, but March. But, but $5 million. But, but he said he would have taken the UCLA job (instead of having an incompetent boss that does not like him (Fulmer)).

Regarding when he retires...I think the lasting impact of Barnes is that he's shown what Tennessee basketball can be and is with the right coach. Yes, Pearl did too, but Barnes has shown that that wasn't a fluke. Further, Barnes has an established coaching tree (like Rodney Terry, for example) and that will make for more viable candidates when the time comes to replace him. I would imagine he'll be listened to when it comes to choosing his replacement.

Having Barnes AND Danny White, I have no worries with Barnes’ successor.

He may end up doing more at Tennessee than Pearl. He's behind in the tournament to your point. He could even up with win percentage this year. One thing Pearl did not get was an SEC tournament win!

Then if this team makes it past the elite 8 we can't give Barnes a single ounce of credit then, correct?
That’s right - it will be the players who make it happen. CRB has built a program with a positive environment built on hard work and attention to detail. CRB recruited a bunch of players who he hoped would thrive in that type of environment. Ultimately, it’s the players who fail or succeed but the program and coaching staff have to have succeeded first in the above. JMO

I
That’s right - it will be the players who make it happen. CRB has built a program with a positive environment built on hard work and attention to detail. CRB recruited a bunch of players who he hoped would thrive in that type of environment. Ultimately, it’s the players who fail or succeed but the program and coaching staff have to have succeeded first in the above. JMO
Imo. Stupid. Saban and Dooley are the same. Neither should get credit nor blame.

I

Imo. Stupid. Saban and Dooley are the same. Neither should get credit nor blame.
Wow - you must struggle understanding? Saban has built the program and recruited the players to be successful but the players still have to buy into the program and execute on the field. Whereas Dooley was an abject failure at creating the program and environment along with recruiting the right players. What’s so different is this concept?

Reactions: StarRaider
He may end up doing more at Tennessee than Pearl. He's behind in the tournament to your point. He could even up with win percentage this year. One thing Pearl did not get was an SEC tournament win!

Pearl broke through on several measurables - first Elite Eight, first #1 ranking, first outright SEC regular season championship in a very long time, first 30 win season, first 80% plus winning percentage in a season in the modern era. Barnes is meeting many of those highly set bars. He’s also building a high level program primed for longevity. Pearl left TN as a smoldering mess.

Wow - you must struggle understanding? Saban has built the program and recruited the players to be successful but the players still have to buy into the program and execute on the field. Whereas Dooley was an abject failure at creating the program and environment along with recruiting the right players. What’s so different is this concept?
I don't, I think the original argument is dumb. I don't care to discuss I only wanted to say I don't agree. You can think your way.

Last edited:
Reactions: walkenvol

VN Store

Back