Take a moment to appreciate CRB

Every basketball coach we’ve ever had would’ve left for UCLA if offered. I’m glad their boosters were too cheap to write UT the buyout check.

Exactly. Sounded like a dream job and he ended up choosing UT. You'd have to be a clown to still be offended.

Exactly. Sounded like a dream job and he ended up choosing UT. You'd have to be a clown to still be offended.

And then he made an honest comment that he would have left had UCLA included paying the buyout as part of their final offer. Instead of coach speak. I bet that they same posters that were complaining about his truthful answer would also be the loudest had he glossed over his reasons for chosing to stay at TN.

Yes, he underperforms in the tourny, but he has taken our basketball program to a level that I wasn’t sure we’d ever see after Pearl.

When he leaves (retires) we will likely take a step back for a few years. This is truly the pinnacle of TN basketball, at least in my lifetime. Here’s to hoping we can continue raising that bar this year in the tourny and get coach a ring.
Was thinking about this also. The fact we have been a frequent top 10 program year over year and top 5 every now and then is such a testimony to CRB.

Pearl broke through on several measurables - first Elite Eight, first #1 ranking, first outright SEC regular season championship in a very long time, first 30 win season, first 80% plus winning percentage in a season in the modern era. Barnes is meeting many of those highly set bars. He’s also building a high level program primed for longevity. Pearl left TN as a smoldering mess.
Agreed. That's the other part though. Pearl inherited a better situation than Barnes did.

I’ll have to sit it out. You to go feel tingly all by yourself. Have at it.

You’re still mad though. I didn’t disagree with your points. Just highlighted your unusual way of expressing yourself. And quit obsessing over my tingles. It’s weird.

You’re still mad though. I didn’t disagree with your points. Just highlighted your unusual way of expressing yourself. And quit obsessing over my tingles. It’s weird.
You are the one who introduced your tingles to the board. I thought it was weird.

Success starts with the leadership at the university and Baseball Randy, Blonde Donde and White Danny have set the levels of what is expected and how the coaches are expected to achieve those expectations and that Tennessee can compete and win the right way.

Fulmer tried his best to run Barnes off before Randy stepped in to stop him from leaving for UCLA, redoing the contract, after running Fulmer and his hire Pruitt out of the program, they knew what they did not want in an AD and settled on White Danny who seems able to grasp Tennessee traditions and mesh them with the economic realities of college sports, mindful of the fan experience and the costs connected to those decisions to attend events, but the only thing sadder than Jeremy Pruitt, Buzz Peterson, Cuonzo Martin, Donnie Tyndall, Derek Dooley, Butch Jones (0-8 in the conference that last year) Handsome Dave Hart and the Fulmer AD charade are the baffoons who hired them for those positions at Tennessee they were completely unqualified for

Hart gets credit for hiring Barnes after Texas fired him.

Hart gets credit for hiring Barnes after Texas fired him.

Nah, Hart had nothing to do with the Barnes hire, he gets credit for signing the paperwork along with Chancellor Jimmy Cheek, but Tennessee fired Donny Tyndall on March 25, 2015, Barnes resigned in Austin on March 27, 2015 and the Barnes hire was announced at Tennessee on March 31, 2015, it took Handsome Dave six days just to get dressed and the hair combed just right, Tennessee was under contract to become a Nike school on July 1 of that year, and had an abundance of significant outside help getting Barnes to Tennessee, faster than a smokey gray swoosh. Watching Hart disrespect Cuonzo, get all excited about Mike White and panic hiring Donny Tyndall, who didn't last a calendar year at Tennessee, Hart was truly incapable of hiring anybody in the circles that Rick Barnes traveled in and you never saw Barnes with any three stripe logos on his body while the old Adidas contract rumbled out 90 days toward expiration on June 30, 2015. Barnes was the first Tennessee basketball coach to break the $2 million ceiling, starting out at $2.25 million up from Tyndall's $1.6 million a season before. Hart would have signed anything to get past the Tyndall fiasco that he fully created all by himself, as he "played basketball at Florida State, he didn't need a consulting agency to hire a basketball coach."

Hart gets credit for trying to eliminate the Lady Vol brand, getting sued into oblivion merging the men's and women's athletic departments, took a $2.48 million settlement against the university over Title IX violations, getting boofed by Charlie Strong, panic hire of Lyle "Butch" Jones, raised and extended Jones twice resulting in an $8 million payout when Butch went 0-fer in the conference and was fired in 2017. Hart's contract was not going to be renewed when it expired on June 30, 2017 so he announced his retirement in the summer of 2016 and finally went away.

In my opinion, Hart did as much, if not more, damage to the university's reputation in the college sports business and media world as Mike Hamilton did. The fact that neither ever returned to the helm of an athletic department speaks volumes about their abilities in those roles.

VN Store

Back