Take a moment to appreciate CRB

I’m curious as to your comment that, “Fulmer tried his best to run Barnes off” comment. I think that’s a ridiculous statement and there is no credible evidence to remotely even suggest that was the case. I’ve been wrong before, but I believe your statement is a huge stretch.

Absolutely a clown comment to suggest Fulmer tried his best “to run Barnes off”….. Barnes admitted he seriously considered UCLA regardless of contract at Tennessee. Barnes made smart choice along with Tennessee making smart choice to rework his deal

Reactions: cardvolfan
Yes, he underperforms in the tourny, but he has taken our basketball program to a level that I wasn’t sure we’d ever see after Pearl.

When he leaves (retires) we will likely take a step back for a few years. This is truly the pinnacle of TN basketball, at least in my lifetime. Here’s to hoping we can continue raising that bar this year in the tourny and get coach a ring.
He hasn’t underperformed at all. He is not the one on the court who is missing wide open layups, taking off balanced shots or getting pushed around on the court. He and his coaches can not go out and make the plays.

Absolutely a clown comment to suggest Fulmer tried his best “to run Barnes off”….. Barnes admitted he seriously considered UCLA regardless of contract at Tennessee. Barnes made smart choice along with Tennessee making smart choice to rework his deal
His reply was even more interesting. Why would Fulmer even want to sabotage the only program that was successful at that time? Anyway.

I find it creepy that you keep commenting on my tingle.
I find it creepier that you would bring up your tingly in Post #39.

Moreover, I find unfortunate that you hijacked this thread that was intended to show Coach Barnes appreciation. You have to make it all about you. Let’s give Thunder Good-Oil all the attention! He targets other posters with ridicule! Do you need a little extra attention to feel good about yourself? You are quite an accomplished poster! There! Feel better?

Hmmm, I've not seen Rick Barnes miss a single shot, make a turnover nor double-dribble. Silly me. :rolleyes:
Coaches are like quarterbacks, to much credit when they win and to much grief when they lose. In reality, football & basketball are ”team” sports where success depends on everyone doing their part to have success (Coaches & players alike).

Reactions: feathersax
He hasn’t underperformed at all. He is not the one on the court who is missing wide open layups, taking off balanced shots or getting pushed around on the court. He and his coaches can not go out and make the plays.

36 years and 4 final fours. I guess he has the worst recruiting luck in CBB history.

Good man, great coach and very supportive of all sports at the university. He helped us get a top recruit for football. I love his teams. Great defense and fast pace--always in the hunt.

Reactions: cardvolfan
I find it creepier that you would bring up your tingly in Post #39.

Moreover, I find unfortunate that you hijacked this thread that was intended to show Coach Barnes appreciation. You have to make it all about you. Let’s give Thunder Good-Oil all the attention! He targets other posters with ridicule! Do you need a little extra attention to feel good about yourself? You are quite an accomplished poster! There! Feel better?

No. I’m even more creeped out now that you’re obsessing over me.

Agree...would someone please explain why he would coach any different in the tourney versus regular season? Sometimes the cards just don't fall right.
You mean like Kyle Alexander injury and Loyola hitting a prayer (pun intended), phantom foul on Bone and kid hitting 3’s like he’s a Curry, and Olivier getting hurt and UMs center having game of his life while all our guards couldn’t hit a shot. It is SO HARD to get to the Final Four. SEC only had 3 teams make it there in the last 8 years! Barnes is a blessing and a perfect fit for Vols.

I really appreciate Barnes. His overall underperformance in the tourney is real. But that is only part of Head Basketball Coach Rick Barnes. There's the overall win %, the conference titles, the big in-season victories, the recruiting, the classy representation of our University, the development of players and young men, etc. So many things to value and be proud of and thankful for. You can't take just one aspect of Barnes to critique, you must take the whole package. And I like the whole package so much I just accept the lack of tourney success as part of the deal. If he suddenly starts having tourney success, then it's a bonus.

Finishing in the Round of 32 means that you are one of #17 - #32.

Finishing in the Sweet 16 means that you are one of #9 - #16.

I think that this constant narrative that Barnes is a failure in March is over done. TN doesn’t have much of a history of being one of the best 16 teams in the country.

It really would be an interesting in depth case study once he retires if he can shed any insight on NCAAT struggles. I’m the biggest Barnes fan, but even I can admit he’s struggled compared to his peers in the tourney…why is that? I have a hard time thinking it’s just bad luck/bad matchups, those things eventually should even out, are we gonna go on a run of 10 great breaks in the NCAAT?

VN Store

Back