TA&M and Jimbo

U left out Phil, and Mack Brown. They can all thank the players for winning in spite of their mediocre coaching.
Not arguing that either Fulmer or Brown are going to out coach many during a game, but we need to remember they were responsible for getting the players that won championships to their campus. Therefore, some credit is due.

A blind pig finds an acorn. Beats Bama. Then goes 8-4. 1 win better than us with half a roster, a brand new coach, and having to play Bama and Georgia. Jumbo isn't incompetent. He just doesn't have the ceiling to win it all in the SEC. Does he have a NC under his belt? Yep. Did he get there coaching a FLSt team playing in the ACC with absolutely no competition? Yep. Clemson was the only competition they had that year prior to the NC game and Clemson hadn't fully cooked. They squeaked by Auburn to win. Hats off but like I said. A blind pig found an acorn. And by the way, during his tenure at at FLst, FL and Miami were lost. He will not....i say again.....will not win an SEC championship, much less a NC with him as head coach. I said what I said.....
You are correct about the blind pig. The only other team they beat with a winning record was 7-5 Toledo. They even struggled to beat a crappy Colorado team. They'll tell you that they had to play a backup QB in that Colorado game but who really cares. We finished the season with a backup QB and won conference. If Jimbo is truly a QB Whisperer then he should be able to plug and play a QB against the sisters of the poor and win big. Winston ain't walking through that door to save his bacon... again.

At the end of the day aTm and LSU will have the ability to snuff out Saban more than any other schools. I am tired of playing a loaded Alabama team and knowing the result before the game even starts. We play Bama every year (as of right now). I welcome other schools defeating them on the field as this will hasten the nemesis to retire hopefully. The enemy of my enemy is my friend.
You're not wrong......

They just beat Alabama. Who else beat Alabama? Oh yeah, no one. Alabama hadn’t lost since 2019.

Beating the big dog means a lot to recruits.

Plus, Fisher has skins.

Yeah, he’s not Nick Saban. Neither is any other coach. But, he’s easily top 5.
Top 5 in America?? Haha.
Not sure he's top 5 in conference!

But your point about Saban is %100 correct.

Reactions: BUBear
I think he's a very mediocre coach. That said, Orgeron, Chizik, Miles,... won National Championships with teams so loaded that they couldn't screw it up.

If I ever win one, that's how I'd like to do it, by having the best team and the best quarterback. Then everybody could say "He's a stupid coach, he only won because he had the best team."

I have to admit, it's worrisome that "anybody" can win at LSU but then they fired those guys. Why would you ever need to fire a guy if anybody can win there? There must be more to it. There is something about a new coach and the potential to peak early and then collapse. Perhaps I have also fallen victim to the Baader–Meinhof effect, but it seems like after Mullen got fired there is a lot more sharp collapse going on, where you wouldn't really have a reason to expect that. That 2-8 SEC streak is about as quitting as anything I've ever seen. They won a divisional title while in that streak. If I were stupid person, I would say "Oh, I am oh-so-smart, I knew Mullen would fail, I was oh-so-obvious to me while he was winning the east that my brilliant opinion would catch up to him eventually." That effect has a different name, Dunning-Kruger.

Anyway, I figure Jimbo can just keep trying. It doesn't matter what we think of him. I expect he hasn't peaked. Or maybe he just set a president by winning at FSU.

At the end of the day Auburn will always play bama tougher than anyone and will win just about as many as LSU and TAM

I think everyone is surprised to see A&M pull off this recruiting class. I'm going to go ahead and declare it a bust. They never finish higher than 2nd in the SEC west. Jumbo just isn't that good of a coach. He puts a ceiling on what they can accomplish. He coached an ACC team that was in just as good of recruiting grounds at an apex level school and couldn't get anything done. A&M is in just as good recruiting territory but in a tougher conference. He didn't play Saban every year at FLST and couldn't get it done. Jumbo is gone in 5 years. Book it.
OP is jealous.

Book it.

Reactions: Firebirdparts
T A&M is a school a lot like Auburn in that a football coach does not have more than one bad year in his career there. So it's probably a safe bet Jimbo will not be there in five years. However as a coach he's not half as bad as some of y'all are promoting. He's been on staff on NC championship teams, he has won an NC as a head coach on his own, AND he is currently the only coach in the SEC to earn a vicory over Saban at Bama. That sort of resume doesn't happen by accident or because you can't coach.

Reactions: Doberman
No he doesn’t owe his to title to Winston. Winston was obviously a huge part of their success, but 20 of their 22 starters were eventually drafted. They also had the third ranked defense in the country. That team was absolutely loaded and nothing like the 2010 Auburn team.
That and the ACC was mediocre to awful that year. Playing Duke in the Championship Game is a testament to the level of competition in the league.

Les Miles is kicked too much as well. Not even a fair comparison to the likes of Orgeron, Coker, and Chizik.

If Huepel ends up with Miles record at LSU, we will erect a statue and rename a street in his honor.

View attachment 422300
CJH has show to be able to coach up less, Les has shown to fail with more. LSU talent under Miles underachieved.

CJH has show to be able to coach up less, Les has shown to fail with more. LSU talent under Miles underachieved.

Multiple SEC titles, multiple National Championship appearances, winning a National Championship, a 114-34 record, 62-28 in the toughest division in football…..

Yeah, a real POS coach. LOL

If I ever win one, that's how I'd like to do it, by having the best team and the best quarterback. Then everybody could say "He's a stupid coach, he only won because he had the best team."

I have to admit, it's worrisome that "anybody" can win at LSU but then they fired those guys. Why would you ever need to fire a guy if anybody can win there? There must be more to it. There is something about a new coach and the potential to peak early and then collapse. Perhaps I have also fallen victim to the Baader–Meinhof effect, but it seems like after Mullen got fired there is a lot more sharp collapse going on, where you wouldn't really have a reason to expect that. That 2-8 SEC streak is about as quitting as anything I've ever seen. They won a divisional title while in that streak. If I were stupid person, I would say "Oh, I am oh-so-smart, I knew Mullen would fail, I was oh-so-obvious to me while he was winning the east that my brilliant opinion would catch up to him eventually." That effect has a different name, Dunning-Kruger.

Anyway, I figure Jimbo can just keep trying. It doesn't matter what we think of him. I expect he hasn't peaked. Or maybe he just set a president by winning at FSU.
I think for a couple of reasons: 1) I'm not sure LSU people themselves believe that and 2) even if they do believe it, they want a coach who can deliver multiple national titles/build a dynasty there, not a coach that wins a title then has the wheels come off.

Although you could definitely argue that the wheels actually never came off for Les; after he won his title he played for another a few years later, and his worst season at LSU was 8-5, but they fired him anyway.

Multiple SEC titles, multiple National Championship appearances, winning a National Championship, a 114-34 record, 62-28 in the toughest division in football…..

Yeah, a real POS coach. LOL
2 SEC Titles, 1 NC coming off the wave of recruiting by Saban in 2004 and a few from 2003. Miles does not have to explain his NC to anyone but lets not forget what he had in the #1 class being SR's that year too and the #2 class from 2003 sprinkled in. He walked into a title, he couldn't sustain it. Only two SECCG appearances/wins since the return of Saban and the 1st one was year one. Again, under his time and his recruiting base, he underachieved during his time.

I think for a couple of reasons: 1) I'm not sure LSU people themselves believe that and 2) even if they do believe it, they want a coach who can deliver multiple national titles/build a dynasty there, not a coach that wins a title then has the wheels come off.

Although you could definitely argue that the wheels actually never came off for Les; after he won his title he played for another a few years later, and his worst season at LSU was 8-5, but they fired him anyway.

There seems to be an institutional issue at LSU more so than coaches. They definitely jumped the gun on ousting Miles. Then put in Orgeron, who was already on the hit list when he came in because he never seemed to have had universal approval from the beginning. Now, you bring in a Yank who thinks the path to sainthood is all of a sudden finding that southern drawl, like locals bought it.

2 SEC Titles, 1 NC coming off the wave of recruiting by Saban in 2004 and a few from 2003. Miles does not have to explain his NC to anyone but lets not forget what he had in the #1 class being SR's that year too and the #2 class from 2003 sprinkled in. He walked into a title, he couldn't sustain it. Only two SECCG appearances/wins since the return of Saban and the 1st one was year one. Again, under his time and his recruiting base, he underachieved during his time.
That 2007 title Miles won had a roster of a lot players he had recruited as well, and don't forget he played for another title that he almost certainly would have won in 2011 if he didn't have to play Saban again. "Couldn't sustain it" is kind of harsh, wouldn't you agree?

If that is underachieving, sign me up. It's easy to scribble on paper what is underachieving and what is not. But, you still have to go play the competition.

And again .......

If Huepel ends up with Miles record at LSU, we will erect a statue and rename a street in his honor.

There seems to be an institutional issue at LSU more so than coaches. They definitely jumped the gun on ousting Miles. Then put in Orgeron, who was already on the hit list when he came in because he never seemed to have had universal approval from the beginning. Now, you bring in a Yank who thinks the path to sainthood is all of a sudden finding that southern drawl, like locals bought it.
It's definitely an institutional thing. LSU has a recruiting base and an admin that lends itself having a successful football program regardless of who the coach is, IMO.

I don't think many LSU fans would admit this, but the reason they fired Miles and Orgeron is because they think they should be Alabama under Saban. They don't think they should ever go 8-5/9-3, because Saban never goes 8-5/9-3. It is why O instantly got on the hot seat just a year after going 15-0 with a title. They don't think they should ever have a year like that, and when he followed it up with another .500 year he was instantly fired.

Reactions: LoudOrange
Honestly, if you can post a record in the SEC somewhere close to .500 or better, I think you're a fairly good coach. Provided your OOC regular seasons are where they should be. Or you didn't sign on at Vandy to get your debut.

If that is underachieving, sign me up. It's easy to scribble on paper what is underachieving and what is not. But, you still have to go play the competition.
If you want to claim that 2014-16 Les underachieved, I can agree with that, but any notion that he underachieved over the balance of his time there is just nuts. Les's tenure at LSU only looks bad when compared to Saban at Alabama (which is what many people compare it to for some reason).

Simply put, Saban just makes everybody else look bad, and he tricks other schools into thinking that what he's doing at Alabama is easily replicated at other schools by other coaches. It isn't.

Reactions: Remy and Doberman

VN Store

Back