TA&M and Jimbo

xpsyclonex2002

I think everyone is surprised to see A&M pull off this recruiting class. I'm going to go ahead and declare it a bust. They never finish higher than 2nd in the SEC west. Jumbo just isn't that good of a coach. He puts a ceiling on what they can accomplish. He coached an ACC team that was in just as good of recruiting grounds at an apex level school and couldn't get anything done. A&M is in just as good recruiting territory but in a tougher conference. He didn't play Saban every year at FLST and couldn't get it done. Jumbo is gone in 5 years. Book it.

LTVol

I think everyone is surprised to see A&M pull off this recruiting class. I'm going to go ahead and declare it a bust. They never finish higher than 2nd in the SEC west. Jumbo just isn't that good of a coach. He puts a ceiling on what they can accomplish. He coached an ACC team that was in just as good of recruiting grounds at an apex level school and couldn't get anything done. A&M is in just as good recruiting territory but in a tougher conference. He didn't play Saban every year at FLST and couldn't get it done. Jumbo is gone in 5 years. Book it.
You do know he won one national title and one trip to CFP st FSU, right,? Not exactly the definition of " not getting anything done."

Proud Army Wife

Well he did get it done. He won an NC lol. The wheels fell of tho, yes. I said this on another platform. He’s just like Kirby. Excellent recruiter, less game-day coach. I do agree tho. Until he finds a dynamic qb and quits micromanaging his staff, he’ll fall short.
On another note, that coupled with A&M’s strange traditions, I find it odd that any recruit would want to play there. Sure money talks, but there’s other more attractive programs willing to pay elsewhere imo.

keenobserver

I'll disagree here. It's ok to not like a coach, but still acknowledge he's good. In actuality, that's probably why we don't like him.

When we start saying coaches that have won national championships and coach consistently good teams aren't good coaches......Who can we claim is a good coach?

Maybe that's not what your saying. You're just predicting A/M is going to suck moving forward? I don't know that there's evidence to support that either, particularly after a top recruiting class.

I've never met an objective college football fan, but if there was one, I believe they'd have Jimbo as a top 5 coach in CFB.

Last edited:

zjcvols

WE ARE THOSE MF’ERS (BRAVES 2021 WS CHAMPS)
Staff member
I think we have become so immune to Saban and his absolutely dominance that we think every top flight coaches sucks when it just isn’t true.

Like Jimbo went 9-1 last year and finished #4 that year and his starting QB was hurt all this year, but still went 8-4.

He’s been slightly disappointing at TAMU. Maybe he’s overpaid. But he’s still one of the top 10 coaches in college football.

05_never_again

I think we have become so immune to Saban and his absolutely dominance that we think every top flight coaches sucks when it just isn’t true.

Like Jimbo went 9-1 last year and finished #4 that year and his starting QB was hurt all this year, but still went 8-4.

He’s been slightly disappointing at TAMU. Maybe he’s overpaid. But he’s still one of the top 10 coaches in college football.
It's truly amazing. Saban has everybody's perceptions all skewed that many think that if you don't win a title every other year, then you suck or are highly overrated. There are plenty on this board who think Kirby Smart is a terrible coach because he hasn't won a title yet. He's 40-9 (.816) in 6 years in SEC play, lol

Firebirdparts

Best tackle for his weight the old school ever had
I know. People want to know if Smart has “hit his ceiling” of multiple CFPs. Pretty stupid.

Until we start playing Mars and the moon, that’s definitely gonna be the ceiling.

chattavol420

They have to be doing all kinds of shady stuff man. Teams don’t just to no1 recruiting classes coming off 8-4 type seasons. They just don’t. Typically they don’t get into that top 5 status until they’ve made the playoffs. It reminds me of ole miss under freeze. You’d expect Georgia, bama, Ohio state, etc ti have those top 5 classes. That’s what makes it so tough. You kinda have to win with a top 12-15 roster before you have a chance to build a top 3 roster. That is unless you’re cheating

VN Store