Swain not buying CJP explanation on Maurer

I disagree with Swain’s assessment. BM could be cleared medically, but CJP could still decide to rest him against an opponent like UAB. BM might have played if the opponent had been different. We will learn more this weekend. If he rests him again this weekend, then he would get two more weeks to be ready with the off-week.

I do not think the team gives reps to BM in practice if he is done for the season.

That is correct, he would not be practicing with the first team and he very well may not be but if he is then he is only doing it with the expectation of being able to play if needed. The staff may have felt they didn't need him Saturday and may not play him the rest of the year if they can win without him.

I suspected that Maurer was out for multiple weeks as soon as we heard that he was being examined at Vanderbilt. Even if they think it's OK for him to play, they are going to keep him out as a precautionary measure.

Shrout played well in that 2nd half against SC but he's certainly been the QB most likely to make ill-advised decisions, in spite of the fact that he still technically has 0 INTs. That ball he just haphazardly threw up in the 1st drive against SC was awful. He routinely panics when under pressure. He's made spectacular throws when he's had great protection, but he tries to force the issue when nothing is there.

And that's why the coaches have stuck with JG, in spite of the fact that JG hasn't been very consistent either. JG has made some bad throws at times, but he almost never panics.

Reactions: rikberry31
We will finish 4-8 with JG starting the rest of the year

Well he beat South Carolina, MSU, and UAB so your theory is a bit flawed. Shrout played well filling in for JG but he was the reason they beat SC not any other qb. You can blame him for the BYU game but they win that game if not for a bone headed play by the defense. He played well against GSU. The notion that he is responsible for all that ills UT is silly. The team has improved because the defense is playing much better.

Here we go again 🙄. Drawing any conclusions after the UAB game is meaningless IMO. It was UAB not Bama.
Maurer was cleared to play. He just wasn’t needed. It’s that simple. And Shrout wasn’t Helton’s QB “pick of the future” he was taken as a project bc we didn’t have anybody else. And he’s still a project who throws into coverage.
JG was good enough to beat UAB bc we didn’t need an aggressive O to score points. And Pruitt’s D is beginning to gel and play like a real SEC D. But we need a real SEC O down the stretch in conference play to be aggressive and score points so we won’t win out IMO without starting and playing Maurer.
I really hope CJP has learned about the price of losing our edge after getting thumped down the stretch last year and after our zombie start this year. Volfans should learn this as well.

Please tell me where I said that or are you just putting words in people's mouth?

I suspected that Maurer was out for multiple weeks as soon as we heard that he was being examined at Vanderbilt. Even if they think it's OK for him to play, they are going to keep him out as a precautionary measure.

Shrout played well in that 2nd half against SC but he's certainly been the QB most likely to make ill-advised decisions, in spite of the fact that he still technically has 0 INTs. That ball he just haphazardly threw up in the 1st drive against SC was awful. He routinely panics when under pressure. He's made spectacular throws when he's had great protection, but he tries to force the issue when nothing is there.

And that's why the coaches have stuck with JG, in spite of the fact that JG hasn't been very consistent either. JG has made some bad throws at times, but he almost never panics.

Both of his deep throws to Callaway and Jennings vs USC didn't have "great protection"

All of this "not letting anyone know who our starting QB is" is a farce. all 3 of our QB's are the same. One has a little bigger arm, one runs a little better, one makes poorer decisions in the red zone. BUT basically they are all pocket Qb's that can run for a 1st down if left wide open to run. None of them is going to wow you running the RPO. If you are prepared for one of them you prepared for all of them.
I know JG was the #1 rated blah,blah, blah.......he is not that QB.
Sorry Mr. Swain, I am not buying that Maurer is done, we just did not need him last week to win and Pruitt new it (make a rhyme every time).

Agree with this.

Reactions: Seattle Hillbilly
Mauer is red-shirted unless JG falls off a cliff again, and endangers making a bowl game. JP will let JG ride out the season as long as he doesn't f/u.

Mauer is red-shirted unless JG falls off a cliff again, and endangers making a bowl game. JP will let JG ride out the season as long as he doesn't f/u.

Do people not follow football or just randomly decide when to spew garbage from their mouths?

He can't redshirt buddy.

Reactions: Sea Ray

"NCAA amends the redshirt rule to allow players to play in up to four games per year without losing a season of eligibility. "

maurer2019.png

Saying this morning that there is no way that Maurer was physically cleared to play vs UAB but then didn’t play.
Says he said that to protect Maurer and confuse the competition.
Says if he was healthy he would play ahead of someone with a cast on his hand.
Also said that CJP has no faith in Shrout.

I dunno how a kid is supposed to gain any experience or confidence if you are to afraid to even let him play.... I get that he made two bad throws, but when you are a QB and you know that unless you do something you are coming out of the game, that probably forces you to do something stupid. Also, Shrout is the only QB without an interception.

Reactions: tbones0711
I'd like to see Shrout get more playing time too , but it's not fair or accurate to label JG as a "turnover machine". He's only thrown 10 interceptions in 3 years. That's less than half the number of interceptions Shrout has thrown during that time span, and JG has 105 more pass attempts.

If JG is a "turnover machine", what does that make Shrout?

The third string QB apparently LOL.

Think it is appropriate to label JG a turnover machine this season. Spreading his stats out over three years versus looking at this season makes the numbers looks better.

5 interceptions in 9 games this year. The glaring fumble against AL. Multiple near misses which don't count in the stat columns but end up as negative plays nonetheless. Playing with one hand there were at least a couple of nearly botched hand offs last weekend.

I'm not a Guarantano hater compared to many on here but it's painfully obvious where his ceiling is at this point.

None of these guys are particularly good
but, if they are going to scheme around the shortcomings of the QB like the MS ST game, may as well give the young guys game rep and experience IMO. Especially with Guarantano nursing the hand injury.

Reactions: Tnslim1
Well he beat South Carolina, MSU, and UAB so your theory is a bit flawed. Shrout played well filling in for JG but he was the reason they beat SC not any other qb. You can blame him for the BYU game but they win that game if not for a bone headed play by the defense. He played well against GSU. The notion that he is responsible for all that ills UT is silly. The team has improved because the defense is playing much better.
If JG gets the win against SC after leaving with a 3 point lead 24-21 due to injury then why doesn't Maurer get the win against Miss St when he left with an injury and a 4 point lead 7-3?
Explain how JG gets the win when he comes in the game in relief and a lead but Shrout doesn't get the same against SC?

Honestly just curious how you came to that conclusion.

Reactions: sechamp2012
Blah....blah.....blah......

So I guess we can trust Swain when he blatantly insinuates that CJP is a LIAR???
I guess Swain's ratings have dropped lately...and he needs to say something controversial so the sheeple will turn and listen.

Look folks...it was just SMART FOOTBALL to hold your best QB out of a game when you don't need him to play in order to win--especially when he's suffered 2 concussions.
Being SMART doesn't make you a LIAR!

I don't know Maurer's true condition any more than Swain does!
Has Swain had access to the medical progress notes on Maurer?
Has Swain read the MD's report in the concussion protocol?
NO!!!!

About JT Shrout--I believe CJP when he says that he took him out after JT almost threw picks.
JT did throw the ball stupidly on our 3rd down of our first possession--could've been picked.
JT did throw the ball into double coverage in the 3rd QTR--and it SHOULD HAVE been picked.
He had Jennings wide open underneath on a crossing pattern before he made that last throw.

So CJP pulled him. It's just very plain to see if you've actually watched the replay of the game.

However, I didn't like the decision to pull JT.
I personally like Shrout more than JG.
I thought JT should have been given more chances to play in the 2nd half, especially since our defense was playing so well.

But I haven't led the team to 3 wins in our last 4 games, either.

GO VOLS!

Reactions: Ratvol and Behr
Both of his deep throws to Callaway and Jennings vs USC didn't have "great protection"

He had 5 seconds of clean laundry to unload that ball to Callaway.

The Jennings pass had a bit more pressure, but Jennings was certainly open. It was a great play by Shrout, but doesn't really disprove the general idea that he's struggled with pressure and tried to force the issue more than the other QBs.

He had 5 seconds of clean laundry to unload that ball to Callaway.

The Jennings pass had a bit more pressure, but Jennings was certainly open. It was a great play by Shrout, but doesn't really disprove the general idea that he's struggled with pressure and tried to force the issue more than the other QBs.

No one is saying it did. But the fact that "His great throws come off great protection" is a lie.

Saying this morning that there is no way that Maurer was physically cleared to play vs UAB but then didn’t play.
Says he said that to protect Maurer and confuse the competition.
Says if he was healthy he would play ahead of someone with a cast on his hand.
Also said that CJP has no faith in Shrout.

This is obviously the first time in the history of CFB where a HC has lied about that status or health of a player.

Reactions: Doberman
None of these guys are particularly good
but, if they are going to scheme around the shortcomings of the QB like the MS ST game, may as well give the young guys game rep and experience IMO. Especially with Guarantano nursing the hand injury.

I can see Pruitt and Chaney game planning for Kentucky and shrugging their shoulders and saying "JG has hit his ceiling, may as well give the young guys game rep and experience, f it".

If JG gets the win against SC after leaving with a 3 point lead 24-21 due to injury then why doesn't Maurer get the win against Miss St when he left with an injury and a 4 point lead 7-3?
Explain how JG gets the win when he comes in the game in relief and a lead but Shrout doesn't get the same against SC?

Honestly just curious how you came to that conclusion.

Because he played a majority of both games

I disagree with Swain’s assessment. BM could be cleared medically, but CJP could still decide to rest him against an opponent like UAB. BM might have played if the opponent had been different. We will learn more this weekend. If he rests him again this weekend, then he would get two more weeks to be ready with the off-week.

I do not think the team gives reps to BM in practice if he is done for the season.
If Maurer doesn't play this weekend, his season is over. Our chance for a bowl is over as well if we lose vs KY. No way we lose to KY and then beat Mizzou on the road.

Reactions: cgrish
It could be that the medical staff did clear him to play but also said more rest would be better. If that is the case, he could have technically been cleared to play with the coaching staff having no intention of playing him unless the game was in jeopardy.

Morris threw a couple of those "look out" blocks against UAB.

A couple? More like half a dozen. Was easily his worst game of the season. Was probably due to his injury but still. He was beat in a lot of 1 on 1's.

VN Store

Back