Swain not buying CJP explanation on Maurer

I think the unfortunate part of this equation is that Pruitt is going to be forced to play Shrout sometime in the last 3 games. JG was lucky to not reinjure his hand vs UAB with a few of those hits.

I'm not surprised per say that he has zero confidence in Shrout given that his biggest recruiter in Tyson Helton is gone.
Here we go again 🙄. Drawing any conclusions after the UAB game is meaningless IMO. It was UAB not Bama.
Maurer was cleared to play. He just wasn’t needed. It’s that simple. And Shrout wasn’t Helton’s QB “pick of the future” he was taken as a project bc we didn’t have anybody else. And he’s still a project who throws into coverage.
JG was good enough to beat UAB bc we didn’t need an aggressive O to score points. And Pruitt’s D is beginning to gel and play like a real SEC D. But we need a real SEC O down the stretch in conference play to be aggressive and score points so we won’t win out IMO without starting and playing Maurer.
I really hope CJP has learned about the price of losing our edge after getting thumped down the stretch last year and after our zombie start this year. Volfans should learn this as well.

If so, that dog won't hunt for very long.
We may only need it to hunt for 4 more days... the results of the Kentucky game could determine whether or not we go bowling and there appears to be a fine line between winning and losing that one. We need every advantage we can get.

Reactions: davethevol
I don't think I have seen JG run for a 1st down.

A first down for the Vols, yes, but...if he keeps it and gets stuffed on 4th down, it's first down for the opposing team...that has surely happened. ;)

Reactions: jkleno
Counting on JJ to be main QB is a death wish. Teams would stack the box and dare him to throw. He is effective as a spot QB in a wildcat situation but not for every play. JG is much better suited as an every down QB and the coaching staff knows this.

Reactions: DonDiego
I think Maurer will play in Kentucky game just not sure if he will be the starter. Maybe he will play only if the game is close.

Last edited:
Reactions: Ratvol
Because no coach has ever lied to make teams prepare for every QB available.

Everyone knows Jennings isn’t going to throw the ball very often if at all. Pruitt says the opposite just to throw a different angle at them tho

I think that's why he threw the ball on the JJs 2ND play vs. USC. He put that on film and now people have to be ready for it.

We are better playing 3 QBs than we were playing one. Just saying. We can't do it forever, but it is that much more for defenses to think about and he is building real depth at QB if you ask me.

Gotta remember that JTS is not CJP's guy. I can understand the lack of trust. But, hey you have to work with what you have got.

I feel it coming because JJ came to Tennessee as a QB and moved to WR to get faster playing time.

He IS still a decent QB so I expect him to line up in the wildcat and then start to run and stop and throw a pass for TD that will stun everyone.

That will also force the D to have to adjust and play him differently whenever he lines up in the wildcat.

JJ just might turn into our best RPO QB.

I think it's already in the game plan but that we're holding it back until we really need it.

Just think, we could line up JJ in the wildcat and have 2 RB's back there with him, 1 to help pass protect while the other RB slips through the line into a wide open area for JJ to pass the ball to him.

Suddenly we have a fast, slippery RB in the open field running with the ball and maybe only 1 DB back there with a WR blocking him to try to stop a quick TC for us.

Our OC can design lots of things for JJ to do from the wildcat position.

I honestly believe it's coming but that we just don't want to show it until we're forced to do it.

These last 3 game could get very interesting and lots of fun to watch.

VFL...GBO!!!

Saying this morning that there is no way that Maurer was physically cleared to play vs UAB but then didn’t play.
Says he said that to protect Maurer and confuse the competition.
Says if he was healthy he would play ahead of someone with a cast on his hand.
Also said that CJP has no faith in Shrout.
I disagree with Swain’s assessment. BM could be cleared medically, but CJP could still decide to rest him against an opponent like UAB. BM might have played if the opponent had been different. We will learn more this weekend. If he rests him again this weekend, then he would get two more weeks to be ready with the off-week.

I do not think the team gives reps to BM in practice if he is done for the season.

Shaky one-handed turnover machine who can't read defenses or feel pressure >>>Shrout.

Got it Jeremy.

Thanks.

I'd like to see Shrout get more playing time too , but it's not fair or accurate to label JG as a "turnover machine". He's only thrown 10 interceptions in 3 years. That's less than half the number of interceptions Shrout has thrown during that time span, and JG has 105 more pass attempts.

If JG is a "turnover machine", what does that make Shrout?

Yes, on that first injury When he landed directly on his helmet, I was stunned that he got back up.
Was really afraid we’d see him carted off with major head, neck, or spinal trauma.

As scary as that landing on his head was, Ive seen it a couple of times recently in College and Pros and you have to credit the shoulder pads and added cushion in the helmet from absorbing a landing like that. In some of the footage I saw that the shoulder pads was able to catch most of the bottom of the helmet before the neck area was affected. Just glad he was ok in that play. It could have been worse.

Reactions: V0LUNT33R
I feel it coming because JJ came to Tennessee as a QB and moved to WR to get faster playing time.

He IS still a decent QB so I expect him to line up in the wildcat and then start to run and stop and throw a pass for TD that will stun everyone.

That will also force the D to have to adjust and play him differently whenever he lines up in the wildcat.

JJ just might turn into our best RPO QB.

I think it's already in the game plan but that we're holding it back until we really need it.

Just think, we could line up JJ in the wildcat and have 2 RB's back there with him, 1 to help pass protect while the other RB slips through the line into a wide open area for JJ to pass the ball to him.

Suddenly we have a fast, slippery RB in the open field running with the ball and maybe only 1 DB back there with a WR blocking him to try to stop a quick TC for us.

Our OC can design lots of things for JJ to do from the wildcat position.

I honestly believe it's coming but that we just don't want to show it until we're forced to do it.

These last 3 game could get very interesting and lots of fun to watch.

VFL...GBO!!!

You'll see what you're talking about on Saturday, but it'll be Kentucky's offense. Hopefully our D is up to the challenge.

Reactions: Seattle Hillbilly
Are you saying JG doesn't want to play? I bet he does. I bet he'd want to play if they amputated his hand Friday night.

He may not be the most coachable guy but I truly believe that he is extremely tough and would play under any circumstance. Quite frankly there are a lot of players who could use that kind of toughness

VN Store

Back