Swain not buying CJP explanation on Maurer

I don't think Pruitt is 100% sold on Maurer or they are completely enamored with Bailey. It seems like they are not willing to go all-in on Maurer and the only reason I can come up with is they don't want to appear to have given him the keys to the car for the next 3 years in order to keep Bailey from slipping away.

I have to think JG and Shrout are both going to transfer after this season, so keeping Bailey committed is a huge priority.

Saying this morning that there is no way that Maurer was physically cleared to play vs UAB but then didn’t play.
Says he said that to protect Maurer and confuse the competition.
Says if he was healthy he would play ahead of someone with a cast on his hand.
Also said that CJP has no faith in Shrout.

So funny. Now tell me what another team would have to prepare for differently with any of our QB's.
Same passing routes with any of our QB's. Wouldn't have to worry about Maurer running the ball now.
Pruitt didn't like Maurer either until the media and fans came down so hard on him to play someone else.
Even then Pruitt could hardly find encouraging words for Maurer or Shrout
Pruitt put Maurer on the field and Pruitt lost his argument for not playing him. The team loved him. The fans loved his play.
Show some encouragement for Shrout and game plan around him and let the fans see for themselves. Get the kid a little confidence.
Pruitt jerks these QB's around too much. One mistake and your out. How would it have felt if we had did the same to him.
Mercy, pat the kids on the back in front of the fans every now and then. Everybody makes mistakes. Even Pruitt

Last edited:
Because he played a majority of both games

JG came into the Miss St. game for the final possession of the first half so technically he did play the majority by 1 series.
Against SC JG came in at 6:32 in the 1st Q and left at 8:16 in the 3rd so technically he did not play the majority in that game. Shrout actually did and was the QB by exactly 1 more series.

I guess my point is JG has helped a lot but giving him sole credit for either game just isn't something I can agree with. He was a critical factor for both wins so i don't want to come off as not giving the man his credit. I see it as it deserves half a win for each.

But to each their own. The Vols still won and I'm happy!

Go Vols

I don't think Pruitt is 100% sold on Maurer or they are completely enamored with Bailey. It seems like they are not willing to go all-in on Maurer and the only reason I can come up with is they don't want to appear to have given him the keys to the car for the next 3 years in order to keep Bailey from slipping away.

I have to think JG and Shrout are both going to transfer after this season, so keeping Bailey committed is a huge priority.
Every time I begin to get a little confidence in Pruitt he seems to return to his old ways.
Maurer changed the whole attitude of this team and sidelines with it.
With the way he treats the QB's after one mistake you just wonder how they are handled behind the scenes.

In Monday's and Wednesday's press conferences last week he seemed 100X better.
I noticed in yesterday's press conference he seemed to have returned to his old self.

Reactions: sona and Jpcisco

He hasn't been able to finish a half of football, he's 3-3 in getting knocked out of games, <50% completion % with 6 turnovers in 6 quarters and you think the coaches only reason for not playing him is because of Harrison Bailey? Sorry but I just don't see it, I doubt HB is worried much about the QBs currently residing in Knoxville.

Reactions: k-town_king

I'd rather have Maurer if that is the case... Bailey makes some poor decisions at the highschool level from games I've seen. Highlights dont always tell the tell.

Every time I begin to get a little confidence in Pruitt he seems to return to his old ways.
Maurer changed the whole attitude of this team and sidelines with it.
With the way he treats the QB's after one mistake you just wonder how they are handled behind the scenes.

In Monday's and Wednesday's press conferences last week he seemed 100X better.
I noticed in yesterday's press conference he seemed to have returned to his old self.
Maurer did NOT change the teams attitude, this is a ridiculous take I feel. Go tell JJ, Trey Smith, Bituli and Warrior it was Maurer, who has been on campus for less than a year, that sparked the team. I'm guessing that veteran leadership is what has sparked this team and not some Fr that hasn't accomplished anything yet in Knoxville.

I'd rather have Maurer if that is the case... Bailey makes some poor decisions at the highschool level from games I've seen. Highlights dont always tell the tell.

Next great QB is always the high school senior who is going to come in and replacement any existing QB's on the field. College as everyone finds out is on another level all together.

Maurer did NOT change the teams attitude, this is a ridiculous take I feel. Go tell JJ, Trey Smith, Bituli and Warrior it was Maurer, who has been on campus for less than a year, that sparked the team. I'm guessing that veteran leadership is what has sparked this team and not some Fr that hasn't accomplished anything yet in Knoxville.
Don't be blind like Pruitt. Everyone who wanted to saw the difference and how the whole team got a spark from the kid.
Receivers won't come to a school where a QB is unable to get them the ball.
Argue this one all you want but you've ALREADY lost this battle.
Everyone practically but you saw the team light up once Maurer stepped onto the field.
Try telling these posters it never happened and they'll let you know real quick
If Pruitt had continued on or does continue on with JG and that poor play you probably can say bye bye to a lot of the good recruits.

Reckon why JG teammates wanted him to sit out and rehab this past weekend? Says a lot

Attachments

• 926AFD77-B8BC-4042-87D3-24F7C1CF64B7.jpeg
    926AFD77-B8BC-4042-87D3-24F7C1CF64B7.jpeg
    167.7 KB · Views: 62
Do you see any issue with this statement? It blows my mind and clearly shows the problem

Attachments

• DE4480E4-EE7A-41DC-8616-ED2D8272F507.jpeg
    DE4480E4-EE7A-41DC-8616-ED2D8272F507.jpeg
    197.2 KB · Views: 46
He hasn't been able to finish a half of football, he's 3-3 in getting knocked out of games, <50% completion % with 6 turnovers in 6 quarters and you think the coaches only reason for not playing him is because of Harrison Bailey? Sorry but I just don't see it, I doubt HB is worried much about the QBs currently residing in Knoxville.
I agree with the turnovers for Maurer but I would swear that Maurer completed the entire UGA game minus the final series. That's more than a half right?

I agree, and I predicted almost that, but, I thought Brian would play and JG would sit and heal. CJP throwing shade on the competition.

So yo guys are saying Pruitt is lying straight to the face of media. His words were all 3 QB's are cleared to play. I just cannot see him saying that if not true. For many reasons , one would be no medical redshirt if you have your HC on tape at a press conference saying all 3 are cleared. Secondly it would be something the media would trash him and the AD over, they can lie to you but you can't lie to them.
I believe if the UAB game had been close at halftime BM would have played. I think he and Chaney wanted to hold him out unless needed.

Yes, on that first injury When he landed directly on his helmet, I was stunned that he got back up.
Was really afraid we’d see him carted off with major head, neck, or spinal trauma.
Me too. My blood ran cold when I saw him land like that.

Reckon why JG teammates wanted him to sit out and rehab this past weekend? Says a lot
Maybe it was because they care about him and thought it was crazy for him to play through the pain he was in. Taking his own statement and placing your thoughts over his is little league stuff. Why would he have said that if he thought his teammates were saying that in a bad way. Extremely creative conspiracy thought on your end I feel.

JG came into the Miss St. game for the final possession of the first half so technically he did play the majority by 1 series.
Against SC JG came in at 6:32 in the 1st Q and left at 8:16 in the 3rd so technically he did not play the majority in that game. Shrout actually did and was the QB by exactly 1 more series.

I guess my point is JG has helped a lot but giving him sole credit for either game just isn't something I can agree with. He was a critical factor for both wins so i don't want to come off as not giving the man his credit. I see it as it deserves half a win for each.

But to each their own. The Vols still won and I'm happy!

Go Vols

I am not giving him sole credit. I was merely pointing out the ridiculous statement that UT will not win another game if he starts.

Reactions: PulaskiVolFan
Correct me if I’m wrong but a player not cleared to play doesn’t have a helmet correct?

Maybe it was because they care about him and thought it was crazy for him to play through the pain he was in. Taking his own statement and placing your thoughts over his is little league stuff. Why would he have said that if he thought his teammates were saying that in a bad way. Extremely creative conspiracy thought on your end I feel.

I never claimed he was super smart.....;)

I mean he thinks he is playing well now so......

Reactions: Jpcisco
Maurer got the start against UGA (divisional rival); MSST (must win); and Bama - if he is healthy, he starts.

As to his health, I can see Pruitt shading the severity of an injury a little, but I don’t believe he would say he is medically cleared if he is not.

Maurer didn’t play against UAB because we didn’t need him, but Pruitt cannot really say that.

Reactions: rocytop2624
From everything I've seen since kickoff of the spring game my opinion is that Shrout is a far far better QB than JG so his not playing ahead of JG in a cast against UAB has caused my to lose all faith in Pruitt as our head coach.

Somebody tell Shrout that he needs to transfer if he wants a shot at playing. KY needs a QB as do many other teams.

Reactions: Jpcisco
Based on what we’ve seen how could anyone not have faith in shrout but have faith in JG? Makes no sense

I am not giving him sole credit. I was merely pointing out the ridiculous statement that UT will not win another game if he starts.
The never JG crowd continues to do this, it doesn't fit their narrative when JG performs well enough to win. It's always his fault in their eyes. Hard to believe that they can't see when the whole team plays good we win and when the team plays bad we lose, regardless of who is at QB. There are very few game changing QBs out there in the college game today, we, like 95% of college programs, do not have a game changing QB on our roster.

Based on what we’ve seen how could anyone not have faith in shrout but have faith in JG? Makes no sense
He played in 2 keys series last week, produced nothing either time, did not get us out of a bad run play twice, threw one time across his body to the middle of the field and lofted one up deep into double coverage. In 6 plays he messed up on 4 of them, maybe that's why he got pulled with a vote of non confidence.

VN Store

Back