stock market was up today...

Certainly feels that way but imagine if Saudis or others agree to increase production, a couple of refineries come back on line, China supply chain starts to improve, and inflation numbers start to drop month over month .....

giphy.gif

Lol. You wrote that.

:eek:

That sounds like a great plan because thus far everyone in your list has been so cooperative.

And inflation isn’t going anywhere but up thru 2023. Even the FOMC dot plot shows they are willing to admit that time frame for now.

Inflation Defeated. Three of these yesterday, and we're all good now, man! No worries.

inflation-inflation-defeated.gif

The same way I have with plenty of other stock purchases: sell it for more than I bought it.

I will bet if I don't touch the 200 shares I bought today for a decade, I will double (or more) my money if I hold it a decade..

I don't love Amazon's politics but I sure liked the money I made from them last decade
Faster than that most likely

I just checked my 401k and so far I'm sitting only at around 6% loss for the year. It's not too bad since I don't plan to retire soon. It still means it's not seeing the normal growth which means it's losing money due to the time value of money and possible long term effects of this inflation which may not fully rebound and set a new norm unless we have a housing crash.

Remember this 6% YTD loss that created a sigh of relief two weeks ago. Well nevermind.

Personally, if I was still working and didn't plan to retire in a few years, I would be loading the cannon and buying all the way down. I did that in 2008 ish the last time the market tanked and I did quite well. When you buy on the way down, when it goes back up it's that much more sweet. This time around, I bailed because I don't see a clear end to this madness. This is a political-induced madness complicated by a pandemic. I feel really sorry for anyone approaching retirement right now that doesn't have a pension.

Personally, if I was still working and didn't plan to retire in a few years, I would be loading the cannon and buying all the way down. I did that in 2008 ish the last time the market tanked and I did quite well. When you buy on the way down, when it goes back up it's that much more sweet. This time around, I bailed because I don't see a clear end to this madness. This is a political-induced madness complicated by a pandemic. I feel really sorry for anyone approaching retirement right now that doesn't have a pension.
Slowly raises hand.... But at least the government will kick me out of the cockpit for no good reason just because I turn 65.... So I have that going for me.

Oh... and the pension was taken in bankruptcy.

Reactions: walkenvol and AM64
Slowly raises hand.... But at least the government will kick me out of the cockpit for no good reason just because I turn 65.... So I have that going for me.

I have a friend and her father was a long time pilot for United. Shortly before he retired he built a beautiful house on the main channel of Ft Loudon lake, bought a big Sea Ray and was living the good life until United decided to file for bankruptcy and shaft him out of probably 75% of his pension. And they probably wonder why there is a pilot shortage currently, along with a lot of other businesses that used to have pensions.

My brother squeaked by and got to stay until 65 when they raised the mandatory retirement age. If he'd been a couple of months older; it wouldn't have worked out. He lost his pension like you, but with AF retirement and some good investments, it worked out. Seems weird that the government sees fit to force pilots out of jobs just because of age rather than ability, but lets out of date and obviously incompetent politicians hang around forever.

I'm not sure we've hit the bottom. It's a bad time to buy on the secondary market but there's not much you can do with 401k. All you crypto lovers are taking a beating. I understand it's good time for government bonds. I've never bought one.

Reactions: VolStrom
I'm not sure we've hit the bottom. It's a bad time to buy on the secondary market but there's not much you can do with 401k. All you crypto lovers are taking a beating. I understand it's good time for government bonds. I've never bought one.

Government bonds with terms greater than a year or 2 aren’t necessarily good to buy right now. More interest rate hikes are coming.

Nobody wants my opinion, but we've just started the concentric circle of death. We're going way, way down from here, think DOW 20k and the S&P 2300. The economy is an absolute train wreck when they can't even get a teenager to work for $15/hr. Things need to be horrible to wake some of these lazy ass idiots up. I've seen it before, but the brain dead liberals haven't, and they need a good punch in the mouth and hunger to see the light.

Reactions: AM64
Nobody wants my opinion, but we've just started the concentric circle of death. We're going way, way down from here, think DOW 20k and the S&P 2300. The economy is an absolute train wreck when they can't even get a teenager to work for $15/hr. Things need to be horrible to wake some of these lazy ass idiots up. I've seen it before, but the brain dead liberals haven't, and they need a good punch in the mouth and hunger to see the light.

I’d be more concerned if there was an abundance of unemployed teenagers and other workers competing for $7.50/hour jobs.

Reactions: BreatheUT
I’d be more concerned if there was an abundance of unemployed teenagers and other workers competing for $7.50/hour jobs.
The way I see things, I don't think that is out of the realm of possibilities. The economy is broken, and we have just about polished it off, as is witnessed by not being able to buy a new car due to the shortages of just about any and everything it takes to build one.

Reactions: BreatheUT
I moved my 401k into fixed income two weeks ago. I will be getting my pension lump sum into my professionally managed IRA probably in the July/August crossover timeframe, it’s a 7 digit check to the left of the decimal. Later this year I will roll most of my 401k into the professionally managed IRA where we have agreed it’s going to all sit until later this year.

View attachment 463767

Dont listen to amateurs. Hookers and blow is not "where its at."

Vegas quality strippers and MDMA by the ounce with that kind of money. Millions of $ and grams upon grams of the greatest drug ever encountered by mankind will have those failed Dallas Cowgirls as your personal sex slaves...for a month or 2. Fear and Loathing starring you, as yourself. Articles will be written about you and your debauchery. Some of them even true. You made it. We are proud.

** Dink, Ape, Myself and a couple others here can probably find ya what ya need. Just wanna be there for the party lol

Dont listen to amateurs. Hookers and blow is not "where its at."

Vegas quality strippers and MDMA by the ounce with that kind of money. Millions of $ and grams upon grams of the greatest drug ever encountered by mankind will have those failed Dallas Cowgirls as your personal sex slaves...for a month or 2. Fear and Loathing starring you, as yourself. Articles will be written about you and your debauchery. Some of them even true. You made it. We are proud.

** Dink, Ape, Myself and a couple others here can probably find ya what ya need. Just wanna be there for the party lol
Well hell the way you write it up I’m in!

1655595904232.gif

Well hell the way you write it up I’m in!

View attachment 465283

Anything for a Vol brother. 1 or 2 of us might even live through it.

GO VOLS

I have no investing skill, thus my posts in this very thread begging for advice/mercy/ death from time to time. I pulled my entire (meager..bout $100k) out of the market on 4.23 and moved it to a money market kind of fixed thing where i have now made a little every week since versus losing about 12k. Between jan1 and 4. 23...am at a little better than -9% on the year now rather than whatever Godawful state it would be in as I believe the market has tanked every week since. Ofc, i am still losing my azz because i am never gonna earn what % inflation is reducing the value of every fecking dollar i have ever saved but hey...its not as bad as it COULD have been i guess. The hard part will be figuring out when to jump back in i guess?

Anything for a Vol brother. 1 or 2 of us might even live through it.

GO VOLS

I have no investing skill, thus my posts in this very thread begging for advice/mercy/ death from time to time. I pulled my entire (meager..bout $100k) out of the market on 4.23 and moved it to a money market kind of fixed thing where i have now made a little every week since versus losing about 12k. Between jan1 and 4. 23...am at a little better than -9% on the year now rather than whatever Godawful state it would be in as I believe the market has tanked every week since. Ofc, i am still losing my azz because i am never gonna earn what % inflation is reducing the value of every fecking dollar i have ever saved but hey...its not as bad as it COULD have been i guess. The hard part will be figuring out when to jump back in i guess?
Marcus I always fancied that I could manage my own money too. But the fact is when the balance got big and I got near retirement I wound up second guessing myself and cost myself a lot of money in unrealized gains. I was too conservative. So now I have professional management and I don’t regret it one bit.

VN Store

Back