stock market was up today...

Certainly feels that way but imagine if Saudis or others agree to increase production, a couple of refineries come back on line, China supply chain starts to improve, and inflation numbers start to drop month over month .....

giphy.gif
That’s why it’s really hard to time the markets

Realistically, probably not a bad time to buy them...
Except that they suck as a company. When a company redirects their focus from their core business towards politics or social issues then they are headed towards failure. Disney will get zero of my dollars until they go back to being 100% an entertainment company

I’ve been a life long customer of First Tennessee / First Horizon and I can confidently say they suck! Used to have great people who provided good service but those days are long gone
Yeah, I agree on the they suck sentiment. Decades ago, my wife worked in their data processing center, so needless to say we had an account with them. A couple of months after they bought a local bank, I went there to deposit my paycheck and they informed me that they weren't part of First Tennessee's system yet and couldn't deposit my check. I said okay, so just cash it then, and that is when their local bitch manager told me point blank that I didn't have an account there, and they weren't cashing my check. A quick back and forth banter left me PO'd and I walked out an swore I'd never do business with them in my lifetime. And I haven't.

Reactions: walkenvol
Except that they suck as a company. When a company redirects their focus from their core business towards politics or social issues then they are headed towards failure. Disney will get zero of my dollars until they go back to being 100% an entertainment company

I dont give a sh-t about their politics if I think I can make $$$ from them...

And that's why we shouldn't try!
Well I sold all the stocks in my retirement accounts back when the DOW was still over 34,000. Sure glad I didn’t follow the experts advice. Not sure when I’ll reenter but I’m confident it won’t be over 34,000 when I do and I’ve been drawing interest in the mean time. I’ve done this multiple times through the years and only once did I reenter high than when I exited and I’m far from a market savant. I think most of us saw this pullback coming at the first of the year and I’m just disappointed in myself for not getting out then

Certainly feels that way but imagine if Saudis or others agree to increase production, a couple of refineries come back on line, China supply chain starts to improve, and inflation numbers start to drop month over month .....

giphy.gif
That sounds like a great plan because thus far everyone in your list has been so cooperative.

And inflation isn’t going anywhere but up thru 2023. Even the FOMC dot plot shows they are willing to admit that time frame for now.

Yeah, I agree on the they suck sentiment. Decades ago, my wife worked in their data processing center, so needless to say we had an account with them. A couple of months after they bought a local bank, I went there to deposit my paycheck and they informed me that they weren't part of First Tennessee's system yet and couldn't deposit my check. I said okay, so just cash it then, and that is when their local bitch manager told me point blank that I didn't have an account there, and they weren't cashing my check. A quick back and forth banter left me PO'd and I walked out an swore I'd never do business with them in my lifetime. And I haven't.
Banking used to be all about relationships. I always went to the same branch which kept the same management for 20+ years. They knew my name and I’d stop and say hey whenever I went in. Considered them friends. Those days are long gone.

Recently I needed to get one of these new super notary stamp (Magellan stamp) on some financial documents. Took me 2 trips and on the second trip the lady said she probably couldn’t help me because they close in 45 minutes. It’s literally stamping the paper and jotting it down in a log. Didn’t take five minutes once the manager pulled her head out of her arse. I really ought to close my accounts there and just do one of the online places that pay a bit more interest

So tell us more about how you are making money from Disney?

The same way I have with plenty of other stock purchases: sell it for more than I bought it.

I will bet if I don't touch the 200 shares I bought today for a decade, I will double (or more) my money if I hold it a decade..

I don't love Amazon's politics but I sure liked the money I made from them last decade

The same way I have with plenty of other stock purchases: sell it for more than I bought it.

I will bet if I don't touch the 200 shares I bought today for a decade, I will double (or more) my money if I hold it a decade..

I don't love Amazon's politics but I sure liked the money I made from them last decade
Why not buy a better company that will return more than 100% in a decade? Disney is off track and it’s easy to view them as what they used to be. Need to view them for what they’ve become

Historically they are money just like McDonalds. I think it’s a hard sell to bet against the mouse or the clown in the long term.

McDonalds will always survive. If you buy them at the bottom of a recession then you are virtually guaranteed to see that stock back at its highs in the future and reap the proffits.

Why not buy a better company that will return more than 100% in a decade? Disney is off track and it’s easy to view them as what they used to be. Need to view them for what they’ve become

I'm being conservative with my expected return since I don't know how long it will take to fix Biden's mess....

I believe the next couple of years will be a mess so I want profitable, best of breed companies that are 40-50% off their 52w highs. Disney and Amazon fit the bill.

Yep. First rule of investing. Leave your emotions at the door. None of that crap matters on a balance sheet

giphy.gif

Wait...isnt that a CCP rocket? Figures.

It’s actually a European rocket I think. But it’s always a good idea to bust on LG

Now I gotta go hunting. I just see that CCP flag or colors on the capsule like these..Boosters are different though. Edit: Really orange so I will concur..dangot...another loss

Screen Shot 2022-06-16 at 6.20.41 PM.png

I take the easy way out and only buy the S&P 500 index. Over the years, I have found that I can buy great stocks that make me a lot of money, but along with them also buy a dog or two that costs me money. After years and years of investing and looking at my returns, I found out that I make the same or more by not investing in individual stocks as compared to the S&P 500. Warren Buffett even says this same thing.

Reactions: walkenvol
I'm being conservative with my expected return since I don't know how long it will take to fix Biden's mess....

I believe the next couple of years will be a mess so I want profitable, best of breed companies that are 40-50% off their 52w highs. Disney and Amazon fit the bill.
If I’m picking between those 2, I’m going Amazon and it’s not close

VN Store

Back