Steele and current thinking

I think very few people will call Steele to coach moving forward. He took his shot like Phil did but unlike Phil he missed. If it works you may be good but miss and you are pariah.

Fulmer's actions speak louder than words. The whole Fulmer loves UT more than anyone is a load of crap. I'm sure he does love UT and bleeds orange, but he also loves his legacy and his winning percentage and the perception that he's UTs last greatest coach, or at least last most winningest coach. Fulmer rarely, if ever, retained coaches worth a damn enough to "threaten" his position as head coach. He never paid the REALLY good assistants enough and he let them leave. Sometimes to be hire away by our biggest rivals. Fulmer got sloppy in the end by bringing in assistants on the cheap instead of bringing in big time coaches. Why? Because he didn't want to get "Fulmered". Paranoid that another coach could get the spotlight for success and maybe replace him, like he did Majors.

I wholeheartedly believe this because I saw it in real time. I do appreciate a lot of the things Fulmer did for UT, a lot of it was really fun times. But the name of the game is dirty business sometimes. I think there are 2 sides to him. The one that loves UT and the one that loves his legacy at UT.
So Fulmer let bad assistants stay and good assistants go so there would by no internal threat to his job? But if he was worried about his legacy why would he want bad assistants?

I don't consider Cutcliffe leaving for 2 HC gigs a sign of "letting good assistants leave."

Other than that, I can't really think of a lot of good assistants leaving. Chief was there for the duration. Dan Brooks was a good coach and he stayed a long time.

I think low assistant salaries can squarely be blamed on Dickey and Hamilton. Our salaries always lagged and UT AD really annoyed me in the latest 90s and early 00s when schools start shelling out huge $$ for coordinators.
It was widely speculated that Dave Clawson was brought in to be Phil's successor. He left a HC job at a smaller school to become a coordinator at UT. You rarely see that in football. If Phil was so paranoid about someone stealing his job then why in the world would he hire a successful HC as an assistant?

Phil clearly made some mistakes later in his coaching career and he wasn't cut out to be an AD, but I don't think he's nearly the boogey man some think he is.

I have two close friends, one an Auburn alum/booster and the other a huge UGA fan.

Both of them have met Phil (one played a full round of golf with him) and both said he's the nicest and most genuine guy they've ever met. The Auburn grad said to me "I see now why he used to kill it on the recruiting trail, I'd certainly let my son play for a guy like him.

Reactions: HalfullVol
Why wouldn’t you make him the LB coach?
No Head Coach should be hired and told: Hey, this guy was here before you so you need to keep him because we don't want to buy him out.

What part of: Josh Heupel is the new head coach and will hire his own staff.... seems odd for the SEC? Nothing.

Coach Heupel doesn't "owe" Steele or Tee or anyone a job if he doesn't want them. Y'all act like you've never seen a new head coach hired before. The coach picks his staff. End of story.

I think very few people will call Steele to coach moving forward. He took his shot like Phil did but unlike Phil he missed. If it works you may be good but miss and you are pariah.

CPF’s availability was probably a factor in Major’s being let go, but he had created his own exit path with his very public stance on his contract even after his health scare. He put his job in play with his last season just like Phil did at the end of his tenure. It was pretty clear both would not be on staff the next year and CPF was the choice. Nothing sinister about his accepting the job here when offered after his performance with the same team as Johnny had after his return. Go Ck the scores for that season with each of them at the helm. I don’t remember a lot of players or staff leaving due to the change. I like them both, always have. Neither got to leave at the top. Nature of the beast.

There has been nothing announcing Steeles decision to stay or ago. There has been nothing announcing heupel’s decision on Steele.

Promised, shmomised...he was hired without a title. We could have named him defensive recruiter/waterboy. Dude made $450 K per year for nada. He was a Vol, great recruiter, great DC...like I said, strike one.

Strike one... dude chill. Steele apparently doesn't want the DC job here. He wanted the HC job that Fulmer was trying to backdoor him into. But nothing has been announced yet

Steele looks good on paper, but he had some responsibility in getting his boss Gus M. fired at AU (boards).

Also, JH wants someone he can trust and has known, other words can he fit with the other coaches seamlessly and be trusted..no prima donna!

Reactions: Warriorvol
Steele sucks....sucked when he was here before...not sure y folk can't remember this...I must be the only old guy here....GBO!!!!
I don’t consider myself old but when he was last here in 87-88 as our db coach, I seem to remember our db’s being pretty decent... Terry McDaniel comes to mind (probably between him and EB as the best ever). Not saying that I am pro Kevin Steele or that I know what kind of job he would do here. I would think that he is qualified and capable of coaching DBs or LBs or even a better option than some at DC.

New head coach gets to choose who, if anyone, from the previous staff he wants to keep. Those guys all know the rules and it’s not like UT isn’t like they are going to be broke.

I'm not a smart man. God didn't bless me with good looks or a fully functional brain, but if somebody on this forum can explain to me why a new coach, with a reputation for offensive genius, would send packing a defensive guru, working on the cheap, with ties like crazy to the recruiting target market, I'd just love to hear your theory. For G_d's sake, he may have at least saved some of this class. He was bought and paid for and he is considered one of the best DC's and one of the best recruiters in the conference ---and we're paying him to go away. Strike one for me with Heupel.

Since we paid him, we should at least have him on the staff as an analyst. Then someone wants him they can pay the UT for the buyout.

He got Gus fired, it was a tongue and cheek comment on Pruitt

I don't have a clue why most of the AU family was unhappy with Gus, but he has been on the clock for several years. That same uneasy feeling we had with CPF his last few years. I dare you to find a large portion of the fanbase that dislikes even a questionable replacement. Some AU faithful put Steele's name in the hat once they pulled the trigger, but I think he was insurance down there as much as he was here. A fallback plan if all else failed down there, so if that makes him guilty so be it.

Steele would bitch and complain and cause problems because we have a hurry up offense.

He's old school, which means ****

I'm not a smart man. God didn't bless me with good looks or a fully functional brain, but if somebody on this forum can explain to me why a new coach, with a reputation for offensive genius, would send packing a defensive guru, working on the cheap, with ties like crazy to the recruiting target market, I'd just love to hear your theory. For G_d's sake, he may have at least saved some of this class. He was bought and paid for and he is considered one of the best DC's and one of the best recruiters in the conference ---and we're paying him to go away. Strike one for me with Heupel.
You are correct OP, your brain is not fully functioning...where does it say he’s been let go?

Reactions: TnAngler
I hope is as soon as Freak or someone hears who is going to be the next DC,let volnation know.My personal thoughts,which aren't many,would be ,if not keeping Steele,then get Muschamp and Rodney Garner.Muschamp is a very good defensive coach and players like him and a good recruiter to boot.
Muschamp has already taken the Georgia DC position, we missed out.

Reactions: preacherwebb
He got Gus fired, it was a tongue and cheek comment on Pruitt

How about putting some meat on those bones. If he had been the impetus of the change and the powers felt that strongly about his thougts and abilities, why is he not still there? How did he undercut Gus? For sure they did keep him around till they arrived at another decision, and I have specultated as an emergency plan for the position. Who did Steele conspire with to get Gus out of there. Was he in tight with the king of backyard decks? The AD? Who? I think this is another one of those if we say it enough it becomes true things that becomes common on sports boards. If he did so and left a trail he might jeopardize his buyouts. Just not a buyer till someone brings some kind of info to back it up.

It’s not been announced. Just reading tea leaves and speculation. I mean if he is not gone, why not just go ahead and say he is the DC?
According to Tee's recent comments, Josh has put coaching decisions largely on hold until the more urgent player needs are addressed. Specifically, sorting the fellas in the portal before irreversible decisions are made, and identifying and plugging needs in the fluid roster before Wednesday arrives (national signing day, 4 days from today).

I honestly believe no decision has been made yet on Steele. Neither by Steele, nor by Heupel. It's probably a conversation that they've started, but agreed not to finish until the lads are taken care of.

According to Tee's recent comments, Josh has put coaching decisions largely on hold until the more urgent player needs are addressed. Specifically, sorting the fellas in the portal before irreversible decisions are made, and identifying and plugging needs in the fluid roster before Wednesday arrives (national signing day, 4 days from today).

I honestly believe no decision has been made yet on Steele. Neither by Steele, nor by Heupel. It's probably a conversation that they've started, but agreed not to finish until the lads are taken care of.

Not arguing or anything, but if I'm a player, I want to know who my position coach/coordinator is in order to make an informed decision.

Reactions: VFL-82-JP

Blue Pill

Ok, maybe I missed something but has been announced that Steele is not being retained or is this once again Volnation speculation? Has this been announced by the UT Athletic department, if not I will wait.
It’s speculation. It’s being floated on different boards that he’s been offered the DC job. If so, he declines it and he eats that $900 k. Won’t get it from us OR Auburn.

VN Store

Back