Steele and current thinking

You are correct OP, your brain is not fully functioning...where does it say he’s been let go?
My lighthearted statement regarding looks and brains was an allusion to a character from The Waterboy. Now, regarding your brilliant question asking me '...where does IT (lol) say he's been let go?' , I'm referring to multiple reports of Steele being released with buyout (see Saturday Down South and several others).

Now, having said that, I'm hoping those reports are wrong and Steele is retained in some capacity. I simply see no value in paying a coach of his caliber to go away. Make him inside LB coach or something, if nothing else. If he leaves on his own--no buyout. I just know Heupel's defenses have been nothing to be excited about in the past, so why pass on this proven asset?

I am a fan of the Heupel hire--love his offense. I'm just not happy with the Steele move if reports are true.

Reactions: VOLINVONORE
How about putting some meat on those bones. If he had been the impetus of the change and the powers felt that strongly about his thougts and abilities, why is he not still there? How did he undercut Gus? For sure they did keep him around till they arrived at another decision, and I have specultated as an emergency plan for the position. Who did Steele conspire with to get Gus out of there. Was he in tight with the king of backyard decks? The AD? Who? I think this is another one of those if we say it enough it becomes true things that becomes common on sports boards. If he did so and left a trail he might jeopardize his buyouts. Just not a buyer till someone brings some kind of info to back it up.
This Auburn Coaching Search Keeps Taking Some Wild Turns – OutKick

I can find UNNAMED sources to support about anything I would like in our recent search. I agree that large contingents of the AU family have been ready to move on for three years, and they may have been willing to risk pulling the trigger with Steele as an interim backup plan, but being used by those with votes to oust Gus does not make him complicit and even owning a boss knife. Too many hedge words like alleged in there.. Even this article gets Steele no higher than interim, aft er no serious search! Not enough meat to get stuck in your teeth when these guys get done with their stab at journalism. Just like here, he would have been willing to take on a title to get a shot at a full time HC audition, but so will most aspiring coordinators. Especially those this deep in their career. But those offers are usually given to them with hypotheticals like "if Gus gets run over by a bus would you???" And usually the bus noises are already pretty loud. I would need to see some evidence he was at one of those meetings in the formulation stage of the coup to buy into this as a devious act on his part.

Alabama has ONE former player on staff.
Ohio State has ONE former plyer on staff.
Clemson has 4- they are the exception.

This desire to heavily recruit legacy players just because or take any coach because they were former Vols is just silly.

Need to get the best possible players and coaches.

Dallen Hayden of 2022 needs to be Vol, because he's the most explosive back in the South besides Manny Henderson.
Him being Aaron Hayden's son is just a bonus.

This program needed new blood, new ideas, and new energy! That's what the fanbase HAS to understand by now...

I'm not a smart man. God didn't bless me with good looks or a fully functional brain, but if somebody on this forum can explain to me why a new coach, with a reputation for offensive genius, would send packing a defensive guru, working on the cheap, with ties like crazy to the recruiting target market, I'd just love to hear your theory. For G_d's sake, he may have at least saved some of this class. He was bought and paid for and he is considered one of the best DC's and one of the best recruiters in the conference ---and we're paying him to go away. Strike one for me with Heupel.

You might ask Gus Malzahn.....

As of this evening
It sounds like Steele is going to be let go and paid $900,000

Where did you hear those sounds? Just like to know? I have not heard anything but speculation based on not hearing a final answer on a guy who is under contract till he is not. Did somebody connected get a hot tip?

Where did you hear those sounds? Just like to know? I have not heard anything but speculation based on not hearing a final answer on a guy who is under contract till he is not. Did somebody connected get a hot tip?

I heard Austin Price this morningand it appears the decision is with Steele.

I heard Austin Price this morningand it appears the decision is with Steele.

It was the opposite decision I was challenging. If we don’t keep him I think it will be a while before we announce it. Hypothetically I guess we could wait till the practice starts to decide he will not be an on field coach if we are going to pay his whole contract. Might not look good but could force a hire by someone else for him to break the contract. Money talks.

I'm not a smart man. God didn't bless me with good looks or a fully functional brain, but if somebody on this forum can explain to me why a new coach, with a reputation for offensive genius, would send packing a defensive guru, working on the cheap, with ties like crazy to the recruiting target market, I'd just love to hear your theory. For 7CCB9B00-B887-4678-8120-4E0480A51D3A.jpegG_d's sake, he may have at least saved some of this class. He was bought and paid for and he is considered one of the best DC's and one of the best recruiters in the conference ---and we're paying him to go away. Strike one for me with Heupel.

VN Store

Back