Steele and current thinking

I'm not a smart man. God didn't bless me with good looks or a fully functional brain, but if somebody on this forum can explain to me why a new coach, with a reputation for offensive genius, would send packing a defensive guru, working on the cheap, with ties like crazy to the recruiting target market, I'd just love to hear your theory. For G_d's sake, he may have at least saved some of this class. He was bought and paid for and he is considered one of the best DC's and one of the best recruiters in the conference ---and we're paying him to go away. Strike one for me with Heupel.
I would take it with a grain of salt. Not like Steele has been at UT long to have had some influence or impact. The only gripe here is the payout if he was let go, and not of his own choice. I mean, if we want to use statistics, Auburn had the 74th ranked defense last year, not really mind-blowing. This isn't to say Steele isn't a good DC, but I believe in previous years, Auburn's talent was much of the reason he was successful. I think we know another guy that fits that same M.O., JP Aight.

Reactions: Alto1
Who writes a freaking two year contract for an interim coach with no title...lol? It was clear, he was hired as a defensive coach, with no specific title/duties. With Heupel's OBVIOUS defensive shortcomings, why in the crap would he not leverage the guy we had on staff? Top SEC recruiter, top national DC, VFL, already paid for by Aubie and us? Like I said, dude needs to knock it out of the park with DC coordinator. I'll be shocked if he does better. If Steele didn't want to stay, why are we paying his azz?
The entire staff from last year was flushed to show the NCAA we were sorry. An external hire was needed.

I would imagine at the very least CJH would keep Steele around as an analyst. It is a terrible look to just throw away $900k. I'm fairly certain that someone else would scoop him up for their DC under that scenario, thus no buy out. That is the only responsible way to go about it if he isn't staying on as DC.

I would imagine at the very least CJH would keep Steele around as an analyst. It is a terrible look to just throw away $900k. I'm fairly certain that someone else would scoop him up for their DC under that scenario, thus no buy out. That is the only responsible way to go about it if he isn't staying on as DC.

No, it was a terrible look to spend the $900K

Steele doesn't get his money because he's pissed. I've been pissed before ---and didn't get a penny. He got his money because someone (always) at UT is stupid. He got hired with no title. He can't walk away with a buyout because he's pissed. I can find him something to do.
I suspect Fulmer promised Steele the HC job, hence no incoming title & knew Pruitt was going to get canned. What Fulmer didn't expect was that they were going to can him too. Fulmer's gracious stepping down wasn't his idea, either step down or we're going to fire you too. All that makes perfect sense. Steele ended up caught in the middle. Who could blame Steele if that's what actually happened? I also couldn't blame Heupel for not wanting to bring in his choice and not have Fulmer's influence still hanging around; think this goes beyond just looking at Steele's qualifications. A completely fresh start is probably what the boosters & Danny White wants too. I bet the boosters were finally fed up with Fulmer's shenanigans and let the chancellor know it. That's my story & I'm sticking to it. Fulmer & his ego has always wanted the AD job and to be the hero since he got fired as HC, that's no secret. Hopefully, we can finally move forward!

Reactions: conredge
I'm not a smart man. God didn't bless me with good looks or a fully functional brain, but if somebody on this forum can explain to me why a new coach, with a reputation for offensive genius, would send packing a defensive guru, working on the cheap, with ties like crazy to the recruiting target market, I'd just love to hear your theory. For G_d's sake, he may have at least saved some of this class. He was bought and paid for and he is considered one of the best DC's and one of the best recruiters in the conference ---and we're paying him to go away. Strike one for me with Heupel.
I have much respect for coach Steele, but my guess is he was brought in as a back up plan, as at the time he was hired, Pruitt's (and Fulmer's) future with the program, at best, was very uncertain.

As bad it is now, it would have really been a disaster had UT fired Pruitt and then been left without a head coach (and potentially without an AD) weeks before signing day. Fortunately, the admin was able to quickly hire DW, and he was able to quickly hire Heupel, so Steele at that point became a redundancy. I would not want a situation where the administration is dictating to the new HC who must be on his staff.

Remember the last defenseivr Guru we had? He is now looking at a show cause and coaching for the Giants in the NFL. How did that work out for UT and the defense.
I don't get it. Everybody has an opinion, who knows why Steele left? No one, only Steele and CJH. Everybody wants to grind their axe, and to hell with the whys.

Reactions: INDEFENSE
Something isn't making any sense. JP isn't going to hire another DC unless he knew for sure that DA was leaving. Our defense way under-performed last year so maybe UT wasn't going to pay DA any more. Sounds like a Fulmer move. Boyd and Plowman have done the right thing in getting DW and JH in as quick as they did. Best to go ahead and just clean house and remember Steele wasn't part of that house. As for Osovet, he has good recruiting ties along the eastern seaboard.
Steele was brought on as an assistant as his 450K pay suggests. He and Pruitt are tight. As well as he and Fulmer. I really feel like Fulmer thought the investigation was bogus and that Steele could help JP out with his experience. I think Plowman and Boyd were good with it as they knew how bad the investigation was going to be. They weren't sure how long it was going to be to hire an AD/HC. They placed a freeze on hiring yet let him still hire Steele. The rumor was that the one that blew the whistle skipped Fulmer and Pruitt. Looking at what happened it sure seems that way. It sucks all the way around. I was actually high on Fulmer being AD when the whole Currie debacle happened. At the end of the day he made his presence too known in the football program.

Reactions: Border Vol
Because the new HC needs to hire someone he is either very familiar with or feels he can work with if he doesn't personally know.

Kevin Steele's defenses usually give up tons of points, so hopefully the new DC will be able to scheme to not give up tons of points.

Steele is a good position coach and a decent recruiter. But, he wants more than that. I don't think UT needs to give him more than that.

I'm starting to believe the conspiracy theory that Steele was forced in by Fulmer in an attempt to block a Malzahn hire. Sounds crazy, but that's how UT rolls.....

That's an interesting idea. I wouldn't think Steele would want to stay in the shadows because that does nothing to build his resume. If he were relegated to gopher, even at $900k, he kind of screws himself. We could keep him locked in the North Tower for the duration of his contract and no one would know his potential when he was finished. If he really wants to be a HC somewhere, he would start playing nice. We have nothing to lose at this point if he doesn't quit. I say game on. Josh: "Oh Kevin, bring me the Sentinel and a Mocha Latte when you are done shining my shoes."

Reactions: SpookyAction
I suspect Fulmer promised Steele the HC job, hence no incoming title & knew Pruitt was going to get canned. What Fulmer didn't expect was that they were going to can him too. Fulmer's gracious stepping down wasn't his idea, either step down or we're going to fire you too. All that makes perfect sense. Steele ended up caught in the middle. Who could blame Steele if that's what actually happened? I also couldn't blame Heupel for not wanting to bring in his choice and not have Fulmer's influence still hanging around; think this goes beyond just looking at Steele's qualifications. A completely fresh start is probably what the boosters & Danny White wants too. I bet the boosters were finally fed up with Fulmer's shenanigans and let the chancellor know it. That's my story & I'm sticking to it. Fulmer & his ego has always wanted the AD job and to be the hero since he got fired as HC, that's no secret. Hopefully, we can finally move forward!

Fulmer's actions speak louder than words. The whole Fulmer loves UT more than anyone is a load of crap. I'm sure he does love UT and bleeds orange, but he also loves his legacy and his winning percentage and the perception that he's UTs last greatest coach, or at least last most winningest coach. Fulmer rarely, if ever, retained coaches worth a damn enough to "threaten" his position as head coach. He never paid the REALLY good assistants enough and he let them leave. Sometimes to be hire away by our biggest rivals. Fulmer got sloppy in the end by bringing in assistants on the cheap instead of bringing in big time coaches. Why? Because he didn't want to get "Fulmered". Paranoid that another coach could get the spotlight for success and maybe replace him, like he did Majors.

I wholeheartedly believe this because I saw it in real time. I do appreciate a lot of the things Fulmer did for UT, a lot of it was really fun times. But the name of the game is dirty business sometimes. I think there are 2 sides to him. The one that loves UT and the one that loves his legacy at UT.

Reactions: 67Vol
Theory 1. Steele is butthurt he's not HC and doesn't want to stay and won't stay even if they want him.

Theory 2. White and Heupel want every last vestige of the Fulmer era removed from the program at any cost.

I believe it's theory 1 and shrug, what can you do? This is the second HC job Steele has had kind of pulled out from under him recently. I get it. Always a bridesmaid, never a bride..... is disappointing.

If it's theory 2, I'm not "inside" to know how much Fulmer meddled, might meddle, and/or might still be the "elephant" in the room for Heupel. Painful as hell for everyone, but we've got to have a new beginning.

Steele is the only one that really isn't a holdover. He was hired AFTER all the recruiting violations came out. So, this really shouldn't apply.

As far as disappointment goes, well I would be disappointed too, if I was only making $450,000 for 2 weeks worth of work!

If what was posted on here when Steele was hired by Fulmer, that he was hired as a defensive coach with no real title for two years, maybe the university should take the money from Fulmer's buy out and pay Steele with it. That was a stupid idea to begin with. If Fulmer had actually made the decision to retire, this hire never would/should have happened. Like someone else said, it could be that Fulmer thpought he would remain as the AD and would name Steele as interim coach, at least through the 2021 season.

We have no idea. Steele may want out. Heupel may want Steele out. Who knows. Heupel has plenty to worry about, let the man get coaches he trusts.

We have no idea. Steele may want out. Heupel may want Steele out. Who knows. Heupel has plenty to worry about, let the man get coaches he trusts.
If he wants out, let him walk out on his own. He is a quality DC. or position coach. Use him because we're paying.

I think he stays on staff for 2 years, even if as an analyst. Kevin rolled the dice just like anyone going to a new job. I'm tired of the program pi%%ing 7 figures out for no reason.
When was the last time a rival just threw money away, and we do it consistently.

I think we have a stable foundation and White knows how to enable coaches and athletics programs in the big picture. This too shall pass.

Wonder if there’s any considerations for Muschamp? It could help us but maybe too close to Pruitt.

Who writes a freaking two year contract for an interim coach with no title...lol? It was clear, he was hired as a defensive coach, with no specific title/duties. With Heupel's OBVIOUS defensive shortcomings, why in the crap would he not leverage the guy we had on staff? Top SEC recruiter, top national DC, VFL, already paid for by Aubie and us? Like I said, dude needs to knock it out of the park with DC coordinator. I'll be shocked if he does better. If Steele didn't want to stay, why are we paying his azz?
How many times do people have to mention the Fulmer connection here? Or the fact of what went down at Auburn? Heupel would be a fool to keep Steele around and it's not like he's the only DC in the world.

Promised, shmomised...he was hired without a title. We could have named him defensive recruiter/waterboy. Dude made $450 K per year for nada. He was a Vol, great recruiter, great DC...like I said, strike one.

Didn’t Steele “help” Gus a out of Auburn? If so, I wouldn’t want a guy like that on my staff, especially if he was passed over for my job. To me, that’s common sense 101.

Ok, maybe I missed something but has been announced that Steele is not being retained or is this once again Volnation speculation? Has this been announced by the UT Athletic department, if not I will wait.

It’s not been announced. Just reading tea leaves and speculation. I mean if he is not gone, why not just go ahead and say he is the DC?

Reactions: TnAngler
I hope is as soon as Freak or someone hears who is going to be the next DC,let volnation know.My personal thoughts,which aren't many,would be ,if not keeping Steele,then get Muschamp and Rodney Garner.Muschamp is a very good defensive coach and players like him and a good recruiter to boot.

Reactions: TnAngler

VN Store

Back