Status of Defensive Line

These guys are here for one reason and that is what goes on at Neyland on saturdays. Don’t be fooled. Most people are wasting their time in undergrad whether they are an athlete or not. If you aren’t majoring in accounting,finance, supply chain, or trying to do a pre law or pre med path than you are most likely not there for academics.
Those are the "useful" majors you came up with? lmao.

Uhh, how about all the STEM fields maybe?

I'm afraid all it will do is prove how deficient we are at DL. Its bubble gum (Junior college transfers) and kite string (Freshmen) other than Solomon who’s likely not going to be eligible and Gooden who went down. In a LOS league like the SEC we will have our worst position unit in the most critical part of the game. Prediction: We will think our LB corps is a disappointment because the DL will be knocked backwards to the point the LB’s won’t have good angles to the ball. I don’t want to be a negavol its just the cold hard facts.
Let me ask you before Gooden got hurt how did you feel about the unit? Good grief

Never want to loose stud DLinemen, however IF they can fill holes and hold the line of scrimmage, our linebacking corps can make plays. I think our situation will force CJP to play a more aggressive style on D. More blitzing and line shifts. I actually think that will work well against all of our opponents save Bama and UGA, which we wern't going to beat this year anyway! (I'll take it if we break some legs!)

Congratulations you found a field to tack on you dork
Not trying to be a dick but stem is about a third of most major college programs. And contains about 90% of college majors I would consider useful.

Not sure why you're so hostile about it. I'm sure Supply Chain Management is super important.

I'm afraid all it will do is prove how deficient we are at DL. Its bubble gum (Junior college transfers) and kite string (Freshmen) other than Solomon who’s likely not going to be eligible and Gooden who went down. In a LOS league like the SEC we will have our worst position unit in the most critical part of the game. Prediction: We will think our LB corps is a disappointment because the DL will be knocked backwards to the point the LB’s won’t have good angles to the ball. I don’t want to be a negavol its just the cold hard wantfacts.
“You don’t want to be a negavol?” Try harder for .....’s sake!

Not trying to be a dick but stem is about a third of most major college programs. And contains about 90% of college majors I would consider useful.

Not sure why you're so hostile about it. I'm sure Supply Chain Management is super important.
UT is known for having a great supply chain/logistics program that places many graduates in good jobs. The point is that many that attend undergrad are simply there for a degree and the experience. Also, STEM is not a major. It is mainly rooted in science and geared towards the medical field, which falls under the category “pre-med”

What Emmit Gooden's injury means for Tennessee's defense

Good article on the DL situation, post Gooden injury. Provides great detail on what the options are, but really illustrates how important getting Solomon eligible is for this position group.

Wish I could read it. With 14 listed defensive lineman on the roster and Tracy Rocker as coach, I do believe we are gonna be just fine. We may get overpowered by AL but my guess is that our DL should at least be competitive on the LOS with GA and FL and MO. We should win the LOS against the rest of our SEC schedule, it seems to me.

And Godspeed to Emmit Gooden for a full and happy comeback next year.

Reactions: PulaskiVolFan
Wish I could read it. With 14 listed defensive lineman on the roster and Tracy Rocker as coach, I do believe we are gonna be just fine. We may get overpowered by AL but my guess is that our DL should at least be competitive on the LOS with GA and FL and MO. We should win the LOS against the rest of our SEC schedule, it seems to me.

And Godspeed to Emmit Gooden for a full and happy comeback next year.
Alabama and UGA both have 14 scholarship DL. We only have 10 after Gooden being hurt. Now I doubt Bama will actually play all 14 of those guys but it's nice to have that depth incase injuries happen during the season. We will just have to take a wait and see approach on how well the underclassmen peform.

Losing our starting DT is a huge loss but in all honesty if that one guy makes or breaks that position we where in trouble anyway
We were already in trouble WITH our best, most productive returning DT who was having a great summer and fall camp and becoming the leader of the group. Now we’re left without him, with a group of good athletes and a lot of potential who have never done much of anything at the collegiate level or who have never played a snap at the collegiate level. Rocker better be a miracle worker.

I'm afraid all it will do is prove how deficient we are at DL. Its bubble gum (Junior college transfers) and kite string (Freshmen) other than Solomon who’s likely not going to be eligible and Gooden who went down. In a LOS league like the SEC we will have our worst position unit in the most critical part of the game. Prediction: We will think our LB corps is a disappointment because the DL will be knocked backwards to the point the LB’s won’t have good angles to the ball. I don’t want to be a negavol its just the cold hard facts.
Wrong, off with you and your PTSD predictions of past boogeymen.

Reactions: 1974Vol
If our secondary is going to be a strength of this years team, perhaps it will offset some of the delinquencies of the d line. Just something to keep in mind and pray comes to fruition.
Offense better be able to sustain drives. That has hurt the defense mire than anything.

Reactions: CaliVol2009
Wrong, off with you and your PTSD predictions of past boogeymen.
Savion Williams JR 6’4 304
J Blakely R-Jr ….284
E Simmons …340
Kingston Harris 306
Greg Emmerson
E Gooden (out)
M Butler Jr 285
D Middleton Jr 6-7 311
Aubrey Solomon 6-5 299

We have around 7-9 DL 300 plus lbs. We will also only need 3 DL most of the time due to our outside linebackers basically being DE
Pruitt knows what he is doing and our success is not dependent on one person.
T Smith will play
A Solomon SHOULD/Better be able to play
We didn't lose upper-classmen from last season you are just not used to the names cause they don't start or are new.

VN Store

Back