Statement hire.

I really dont have the capability of assessing whether Chaney is a GREAT coach that can get us to another NC any time soon. He is not reputed to be a good recruiter and some grumble that his game day decisions are solid but not terribly creative. That said, I do know that hiring him away from GA does do a couple of very important things:

1. Give us a very experienced OC that Pruitt has worked with before and can rely on to run the O while he focuses on rebuilding the D.

2. Give us longevity. Chaney is no recruiter but it helps our sales guys if a recruit can trust that the coaches wont leave and Chaney is not going to leave for at least 3 years. It also gives the players confidence to buy in because they have seen his success elsewhere and know the system wont change.

3. Give us a Top 10-15 Offense - Chaney may or may not be able to out scheme the most elite coaching stars but with time enough to bring talent on board, he has proven over and over, he will put a very solid offense on the field on game day and score enough points to win in the SEC if the D does it's job. Considering what we have had, this would be a dream come true.

4. This search probably did not go as originally planned (though we really dont know anything at all) but it was not the crazy show that has been the hallmark of UT coaching searches past. Did we overpay for Chaney? Perhaps, but more important, is that by outbidding GA (who by many accounts wanted to keep him but not at the price given) Fulmer and Pruitt and the UT Admin is showing future coaches and recruits that they are willing to spend whatever it takes to get the best onboard. That is a sea change from before.

Georgia fans are already pulling out the "we didn't want him anyway" defense. Tough to deny, however, that he's improved the offense everywhere he's been.

Biggest concern will be recruiting. Chaney isn't an Ace-recruiter, but he has landed some blue chip guys (e.g. Fields). This might've been a bigger problem under Dooley, who destroyed our recruiting relationships, than it will be under Pruitt, who is doing the opposite.
They recruited over him.

I know Snoop Dogg is a rapper. I know he's been in 1 or 2 movies. That is all I know about him. So, I'm assuming that has something to do with him, but ......
It is an ongoing play on a poster calling Shoop, Snoop.

My post is in reference to Snoop being IBJ's secret conditioning coach.

I’ll eat my crow with a ton of hot sauce. After over 40 days, the search appeared to be aimless. But when Pruitt got Chaney interested, he and Fulmer (and the Administration) did what it took to get it done. This is a statement hire for the program and the SEC. Tennessee is not going to be outbid and is here to compete with the other top programs.

Some will say UGA no longer wanted Chaney, or that we overpaid, but they would be wrong on both accounts. UGA got into a bidding war with us and lost. It’s been reported that they wouldn’t match the last offer because it would have been disruptive to the staff. They wanted him to stay. Also, by making him one of the highest paid OCs in football, we are making clear to every coach out there that we are ready to do whatever it takes to retain the best and win.

While I don’t think this search unfolded necessarily as initially envisioned, when they saw an opportunity, they took it. I am heartened by that. It’s a change in mentality, and a significant one at that.
Good post!

Reactions: CA_Vol
I’ll eat my crow with a ton of hot sauce. After over 40 days, the search appeared to be aimless. But when Pruitt got Chaney interested, he and Fulmer (and the Administration) did what it took to get it done. This is a statement hire for the program and the SEC. Tennessee is not going to be outbid and is here to compete with the other top programs.

Some will say UGA no longer wanted Chaney, or that we overpaid, but they would be wrong on both accounts. UGA got into a bidding war with us and lost. It’s been reported that they wouldn’t match the last offer because it would have been disruptive to the staff. They wanted him to stay. Also, by making him one of the highest paid OCs in football, we are making clear to every coach out there that we are ready to do whatever it takes to retain the best and win.

While I don’t think this search unfolded necessarily as initially envisioned, when they saw an opportunity, they took it. I am heartened by that. It’s a change in mentality, and a significant one at that.
How to triple your likes in one post.
By CA_Vol

Reactions: CA_Vol and Behr
Chaney best OC at UT outside of Cutcliffe!

Suck it Georgia!

giphy.gif
Since Cutcliffe. Fulmer was an outstanding OC as was Walt Harris.

Bob Shoop was a statement hire, as well...

Time will tell if it was a good statement or a bad statement.
While you are right, I don't think Pruitt will try to get his hand in the offense like Butch tried to do with Shoop. Shoop should have been great here, Chaney should be great here as well, hopefully this one works out better. I personally believe it will.

And we see it was more of butch being a control freak. Shoop was amazing during his first season at Miss. St.

Stealing someone else's coach is a statement, I'm just worried if it's best. "Name" hires aren't often the best.

I think Cheney will be able to adapt the offense to our strong suits without changing the overall style. I also think he will get the most out of whoever we have at QB. Things are getting better.

While you are right, I don't think Pruitt will try to get his hand in the offense like Butch tried to do with Shoop. Shoop should have been great here, Chaney should be great here as well, hopefully this one works out better. I personally believe it will.

Hope so, but did you watch this season? No way that was Helton's offense after being taught by Brohm. Still afraid Pruitt will be like Smart and cater the offense to ball control and other old school, debunked concepts.

Last edited:
Hope so, but did you watch this season? No way that was Helton's offense after bejng taught by Brohm.
It wasn't dissimilar to what his older brother ran at USC. I think it was far more of that than Brohm, though the times we felt like we were playing more like a Brohm team offensively it worked well (really just the Auburn game).

Huh? Shoop was great before UT... and is now great after. A coordinator can't make an awful HC better.

Shoop said his biggest mistake was trying to "fit in" to the Jones culture.

Pruitt may not be good but this is still a "statement".

VN Store

Back