Statement hire.

Am I the only one that remembers how many VN posters whined and complained about Cheney when he was here before? I never understood the dislike of him but many on here were glad to see him go. Now it's as though it's the Second Coming.
I like the hire but I know many on here will be constantly complaining about the play calling come fall.

I’ll eat my crow with a ton of hot sauce. After over 40 days, the search appeared to be aimless. But when Pruitt got Chaney interested, he and Fulmer (and the Administration) did what it took to get it done. This is a statement hire for the program and the SEC. Tennessee is not going to be outbid and is here to compete with the other top programs.

Some will say UGA no longer wanted Chaney, or that we overpaid, but they would be wrong on both accounts. UGA got into a bidding war with us and lost. It’s been reported that they wouldn’t match the last offer because it would have been disruptive to the staff. They wanted him to stay. Also, by making him one of the highest paid OCs in football, we are making clear to every coach out there that we are ready to do whatever it takes to retain the best and win.

While I don’t think this search unfolded necessarily as initially envisioned, when they saw an opportunity, they took it. I am heartened by that. It’s a change in mentality, and a significant one at that.

Thank you for this post, people were really on the fence about this while waiting to hear from you. Now that you’ve weighed in with your approval, we can all celebrate.

Am I the only one that remembers how many VN posters whined and complained about Cheney when he was here before? I never understood the dislike of him but many on here were glad to see him go. Now it's as though it's the Second Coming.
I like the hire but I know many on here will be constantly complaining about the play calling come fall.
Oh I remember it also,,,but there is a bunch that whines and complains no matter who the coaches are. Always has and always will.
I didn't have a problem with him the first time here,,thought defense was more to blame. He is a respected OC with SEC experience and I think we could of done a lot worse. I actually thought it would be someone we never mentioned on here or Friend or Osovet( I had no problem with either one of them by the way).
Do I think we will win the East or the SEC this year? No,not happening.
Do I think we will improve enough to get a bowl game and start beating Vandy,Missouri,USC,and Kentucky again? Yes,its very possible.

Bob Shoop was a statement hire, as well...

Time will tell if it was a good statement or a bad statement.

I agree about Shoop. The difference to me is that Chaney has already been successful here with different QBs and a patchwork OL.

Bob Shoop was a statement hire, as well...

Time will tell if it was a good statement or a bad statement.
Yeah, but Butch handcuffed him and didnt let him run the D his way. He pretty much said so earlier this year. Look at the Miss St D this year compared to last year with him there.

Reactions: VolinMC
I think the time Shoop was here was more of an indictment of Butch Jones than it was Shoop. His history of coaching makes me believe that. I don't think he forgot how to coach once he crossed into Knox county.

I don't recall Vice-President Dickie Chen coaching Volunteers football. But hey, man, I'm getting on in years. Some days I don't even remember my own name, so there's that. But this whining you speak of might have more to do with his gunmanship and where he was pointing the barrel. I just don't know. But I do know that Jere Pru and sidekick Phil Ful will make a vital mistake if they don't press their advantage. Getting three tire wheelbarrow belly Chaney is only half the deal. If they mean to really bring Tennessee back, they got to get Yosemite Sam Pittman too. This offense team would have us 1/2 way back in 2019, and the scrounge of the SEC by 2020. Talk about fits, this is it. I hope they're smart enough to realize this.

Reactions: 82_VOL_83
I remember it well and Chaney still seems to overthink things at times. That said, after over a month of a search in which we were struggling to find traction, this is a great hire. He is a proven SEC OC that can manage the offense that Pruitt wants to run. You know what you’re getting with Chaney.

I just remember us throwing the ball a lot on short yardage 3rd downs and that being an issue I had as a fan. We did have Bray, Hunter, and Da’Rick though.

Hear me out, I think we probably overpaid but probably had to at this point. I feel like Tennessee has been viewed as stupid with money a lot over the years. I wouldn't even term it cheap. We overpay for mediocrity at head coach then financially bind their hands on assistant hires if we're to believe what Dooley and Butch have both said after leaving. I think Tennessee had created a perception of not being a desirable place to land due to the ineptitude of the administration and interference of the power boosters.

IDK that I would call Chaney elite but he's damn solid and has a wealth of experience in several positions. He also has a ton of experience within the conference and I would see him as unlikely to move onto greener pastures before his contract is up. We get continuity, experience, and a very solid coach.

The other thing I think not many have considered is the timing of this hire was absolutely perfection. I know it took forever and people think that's a sign of this or that. However consider how Georgia is now somewhat restricted in their hiring choices. Sure they can probably get pick of the litter on whoever is still available and hasn't been signed elsewhere but their choices are greatly restricted. They can also promote from within and that's likely what happens but again it's kind of forcing their hand whereas most teams would prefer to have a lot of options and choose the best one.

Honestly another thing that has to be considered here is the timing on Chaney's part. Was this simply a lateral move for a pay raise or was there something more there to it? No doubt it on the surface weakens UGA and strengthens Tennessee. Was this a bit of gamesmanship on the part of Pruitt, Fulmer, and Chaney towards Kirby or was this just simply a better financial move? It will be interesting to watch other UGA staff moves in the future to see if there is anything else to this.

When Football matters is when a Football man is running the operation AD. Fulmer more than anyone knows that without great coordinators the HC is $h!t. Chaney best OC at UT outside of Cutcliffe!

Suck it Georgia!

giphy.gif

I agree with this wholeheartedly

I notice every time someone creates a thread there is always a big % of people ripping on him and criticizing it. I think that serves to discourage guys from making new posts. Who needs the hassle? I enjoy seeing new posts and even crazy off the wall stuff that generates discussion. Just my 2 cents.

Reactions: 24/7vol and CA_Vol
Georgia fans are already pulling out the "we didn't want him anyway" defense. Tough to deny, however, that he's improved the offense everywhere he's been.

Biggest concern will be recruiting. Chaney isn't an Ace-recruiter, but he has landed some blue chip guys (e.g. Fields). This might've been a bigger problem under Dooley, who destroyed our recruiting relationships, than it will be under Pruitt, who is doing the opposite.

Reactions: CA_Vol

VN Store

Back