Spring Practice Thread #1 Tuesday 3/10/20

I think Pruitt is a hell of a Coach and EXACTLY what this program needed. You won’t find a SINGLE “fire Pruitt” comment from 1vol8 when all that was going down. You will however find a post or two in support of him. However it’s not a dig to say he made a mistake and I think behind closed doors he would tell you the same. His area of expertise is on the other side of the ball. It’s no secret and It’s no different than me admitting to YOU that this or that position isn’t my area. You gotta be humble enough to know your limitations. A lot of people give coaches too much credit and too much criticism. If they were always right, hs, college and pro coaches would be among the most secure jobs in the world. Their mistakes are what gets them fired.
I think if he said it behind closed doors, you’d see it transpire on the field. All the way through the bowl game he didn’t see JG as a “mistake”.

Reactions: PulaskiVolFan
So that was reported once huh? I know it’s hard to accept but JG was the best QB we had last year. He may or may not be this year. I personally have no idea. I think the QB competition is going to be exciting this year. I hope whatever QB wins the job takes a big step forward this year.
Our QB situation last year was scary - a wildly inconsistent veteran and two unprepared backups. We are fortunate that it did not cost us more games than it did. Like you, I am hoping whoever wins the job takes a big step forward and has a backup right on his heels.

This is what baffles me. Say you are Pruitt. You see the players mire than anyone else. You watch them perform at practice and get to study their performance. Now how would you deal with the QB situation? You see JG out performing the other QBs on a consistent basis. Now do you say well the other guys arent doing as good as JG but they need to play anyway?
That’s kind of a loaded question because no matter what I say I’m wrong. I can say the few times I was there no qb “outperformed” the other unless you were looking for certain characteristics. For example if you want a ball control, safe offense then JG looked the best. If you want explosive 40 points a game, and willing to deal with an int or 2, Maurer was your guy. Something in between then it was JTS if you could get him to control that cannon he has. How I would’ve handled it is just different. Not right or wrong, just different.

I think if he said it behind closed doors, you’d see it transpire on the field. All the way through the bowl game he didn’t see JG as a “mistake”.
It kind of did. After nearly a month of no playing time, once Maurer was cleared in a game they needed to be at full strength they started Maurer over JG vs UK. I’m not saying he did or didn’t say it. I’m just saying I’m sure it’s crossed his mind, especially at the time, that he made a mistake by grandfathering the job to JG to start the season. He may feel he waited too long to make a switch. However at this point I’m sure he doesn’t think about it at all. But I bet he taught himself a lesson and his body language seems to say he did. He didn’t give a definitive answer when asked if JG was the starter yesterday.

It kind of did. After nearly a month of no playing time, once Maurer was cleared in a game they needed to be at full strength they started Maurer over JG vs UK. I’m not saying he did or didn’t say it. I’m just saying I’m sure it’s crossed his mind, especially at the time, that he made a mistake by grandfathering the job to JG to start the season. He may feel he waited too long to make a switch. However at this point I’m sure he doesn’t think about it at all. But I bet he taught himself a lesson and his body language seems to say he did. He didn’t give a definitive answer when asked if JG was the starter yesterday.
Kentucky solidified his faith in JG...watershed moment.

Edit: The JG starter answer is a positive imo also. Foregone conclusions aren’t the foundation of a good decision.

I just hope that HB starts if he is indeed the best QB.

Im afraid CJP will still start JG out of loyalty

I am afraid you are right. I did notice he was first to throw in practice in all the drills. If any of the other qb do even close to what jg does in practice I hope they start, because we know what jg does in games. I would sure like for our future qb to be able to get some game expierence before sec competition. Instead of like last year maurer first start against ga.

I am afraid you are right. I did notice he was first to throw in practice in all the drills. If any of the other qb do even close to what jg does in practice I hope they start, because we know what jg does in games. I would sure like for our future qb to be able to get some game expierence before sec competition. Instead of like last year maurer first start against ga.
According to KTown if Maurer was any good he should’ve done to UGA what JG did to UT Chatt.

Reactions: cgrish
I can’t answer that honestly. However, as much as I like Pruitt, I think most would agree he made a mistake based on his evaluation by anointing JG wouldn’t you say?

We have like 6 qb on the roster, Pruitt has recruited 5 of them. If none of the five are better than jg, that tells a lot of someones qb evaluation. If this is the case then jones did better at evaluating qb than pruitt. I do feel jg will start and do just as he did last year and then be pulled, but in the mean time the new starter would have lost 2 to 3 games of game expierence which will hurt us the rest of the year. If hb is as good as advertised he will go pro as soon as possible so we just lose a year of his play if he doesn't play as a freshmen. With all this said I will support fully anyone pruitt puts on the field.

You’re right. But he took a serious risk there. Had JG not played well and lost that game I’m not sure how it would’ve played out.
Yeah you do. Board would have damned him and formed conclusions that affected nothing.

Reactions: Behr and 1vol8
We have like 6 qb on the roster, Pruitt has recruited 5 of them. If none of the five are better than jg, that tells a lot of someones qb evaluation. If this is the case then jones did better at evaluating qb than pruitt. I do feel jg will start and do just as he did last year and then be pulled, but in the mean time the new starter would have lost 2 to 3 games of game expierence which will hurt us the rest of the year. If hb is as good as advertised he will go pro as soon as possible so we just lose a year of his play if he doesn't play as a freshmen. With all this said I will support fully anyone pruitt puts on the field.
I agree. If it’s HB then so be it. At that point BM will have something to think about. If it’s BM then HB will have something to think about. We won’t keep both so here’s to hoping they make the right choice.

Yeah you do. Board would have damned him and formed conclusions that affected nothing.
True. I’m talking about the rest of the season and into the bowl game though. Had JG played bad I think it would’ve forced people to remember that BM was getting better with every series and Pruitt would’ve been accused of pulling the trigger too early on him. There would’ve been another fire Pruitt thread.

Kentucky solidified his faith in JG...watershed moment.

Edit: The JG starter answer is a positive imo also. Foregone conclusions aren’t the foundation of a good decision.
I agree it’s a positive. I’m hoping he holds a legit qb competition this year and not a battle for #2. JG should have a slight edge but only due to experience. I can’t see anything else when they all have something they need to fix the most.

I just thought you liked him because you mentioned him a while back. I remembered the name once he popped up on my list.
In his thread? Maybe early on before he committed to Oklahoma. I was a proponent for recruiting Shadeur Sanders and Villeaux after that looked like a no go. Falling in with the party line that Ty Simpson is our NEXT face QB...at least recruiting chop wise.

In his thread? Maybe early on before he committed to Oklahoma. I was a proponent for recruiting Shadeur Sanders and Villeaux after that looked like a no go. Falling in with the party line that Ty Simpson is our NEXT face QB...at least recruiting chop wise.
Vandagriff committed to UGA. Either way it was before most of them committed anywhere and I thought he was a favorite of yours because you brought him up to me. My bad if I was mistaken.

Vandagriff committed to UGA. Either way it was before most of them committed anywhere and I thought he was a favorite of yours because you brought him up to me. My bad if I was mistaken.
Originally committed to Oklahoma.

Simpson looks to be a good one. I think we'll be in on the Manning kid down the road as well. Pruitt could hit the jackpot at the QB position if it all plays out the next 4-8 years really.

Reactions: butchna
Going to be interesting to see how the QB situation plays out. I admit that I’d be happy to see JG breakout and play like the prospect many thought he’d be coming in. HB looking “solid” running in the 4th position is also encouraging.

Henry T. is going to be a legend here at UT.

With the COVID-19 thing swirling around, I hope the university takes extra precautions. The safety of these young men is the top priority.

GO VOLS!

According to KTown if Maurer was any good he should’ve done to UGA what JG did to UT Chatt.
Not at all.

If he was any good he would throw a TD pass period and get close to 60% passing. So far he had a fluke busted play for a td and another ok one in the same quarter. Since then all we see is turnovers and inaccurate passes. If he was good he would have td passes outside of one 16 minute stretch when he played in 8 games.

Reactions: PulaskiVolFan

VN Store

Back