Spring Practice Thread #1 Tuesday 3/10/20

I just hope that HB starts if he is indeed the best QB.

Im afraid CJP will still start JG out of loyalty

Guarantano played well for 3.5 games, was either below average or straight awful in the other 9.5. So how you can say he “led” us to 8 wins is mind numbing.

Did he lead us to the Vandy win when he started 0-7 and finished 6-17 passing and a 42.6 QBR? We won that game in spite of him, he didn’t lead us to anything. Same goes for the Indiana game when he handed Indiana all the momentum right before and after halftime when he threw 2 bad picks, 1 of which was a pick 6. Hasnt it been YOU who have argued time and again that TEAMS win, not just QBs?? Well, in those 2 games the team had to overcome Guarantano’s poor play to win those games.

Same goes for the UAB game. I can also say that RSFr Shrout “led” us to the SCar game every bit as much as RSJr Guarantano did.

Guarantano played very well vs Scar and Missouri, pretty well in a half vs Kentucky and reasonably well vs Miss State.....other than those 3.5 games, he was awful and THE reason why we struggled to score points and win games. Saying he “led us to 8 wins” is either willfully ignorant or just downright intellectually dishonest.

Sorry but folks around here love to throw around a QBs starting record. So by using that metrics, JG led us to 8 wins. That’s a fact. Not Maurer or Shrout but JG. He was the best we had last year and it wasn’t really close.

Yet it was JG that led us to 8 wins. Not Maurer. Wasn’t it Jennings who said JG was the best QB we had?
That's not true. The coaches managed the QB's. They got something out of all three that contributed to wins. The D and OL were MUCH bigger factors in the season finish than any of the QB's.

Going through the fall practice reports Fingers posted last year, they consistently said Shrout and Maurer struggled with accuracy and JG was better. There were a few times where both threw better than JG, but JG preformed better in practice the vast majority of the time.
Practice has never been a problem for JG. Routes on air with no coverage reads or need to anticipate a throwing window accentuates what he does well... but opposing DC's know his strengths and take advantage of his weaknesses.

Again, go and watch the IU first half again and listen to the critique by the announcer. He nails it. Or just go back and watch JG's long throw to MC in the USCe game then compare it to Shrout's throw later in the game on the same pattern. JG didn't anticipate the throw. He waited a half count longer and then didn't lead MC properly. The result was a contested catch and immediate tackle. That drive should have resulted in a TD then and there... instead it resulted in a missed FG.

Shrout placed the ball perfectly later... for a TD to MC. He threw it on time and led MC away from coverage.

This isn't unique. It points to an innate weakness JG has in a critical QB attribute.

And that’s just a commentator that said Jennings went to Pruitts office and said that. That makes it hearsay. Doesn’t mean it happened. Even if it did it doesn’t mean that everyone felt the same way.
How Jarrett Guarantano's 'incredible' resolve impacted teammates

From the article and JJ himself.

Wide receiver Jauan Jennings at one point went to Pruitt and told the second-year head coach that Guarantano was Tennessee's best quarterback and the one the Vols needed.
“I just talked to him and (gave) my honest opinion on what I thought,” Jennings said last week. “We’ve got quarterbacks that’s stepped up this whole year. J.G., just coming in, the experience he has, I believed he was the one that could help us to get to where we are now. He’s done that,

In the same article Trey Smith gave JG some praise. Does that mean the whole team felt that way? No. But considering the 2 leaders of the offense said things like this was telling.

That's not true. The coaches managed the QB's. They got something out of all three that contributed to wins. The D and OL were MUCH bigger factors in the season finish than any of the QB's.

Practice has never been a problem for JG. Routes on air with no coverage reads or need to anticipate a throwing window accentuates what he does well... but opposing DC's know his strengths and take advantage of his weaknesses.

Again, go and watch the IU first half again and listen to the critique by the announcer. He nails it. Or just go back and watch JG's long throw to MC in the USCe game then compare it to Shrout's throw later in the game on the same pattern. JG didn't anticipate the throw. He waited a half count longer and then didn't lead MC properly. The result was a contested catch and immediate tackle. That drive should have resulted in a TD then and there... instead it resulted in a missed FG.

Shrout placed the ball perfectly later... for a TD to MC. He threw it on time and led MC away from coverage.

This isn't unique. It points to an innate weakness JG has in a critical QB attribute.

Offer all the critique you like but the facts don’t change. JG was the QB that led this team to 8 wins. That’s an undeniable fact. That doesn’t mean he was great. The only thing it means is he was the QB our coaching staff felt have us the best chance to win. And win he did.

Same goes for the UAB game. I can also say that RSFr Shrout “led” us to the SCar game every bit as much as RSJr Guarantano did.

Guarantano played very well vs Scar and Missouri, pretty well in a half vs Kentucky and reasonably well vs Miss State.....other than those 3.5 games, he was awful and THE reason why we struggled to score points and win games. Saying he “led us to 8 wins” is either willfully ignorant or just downright intellectually dishonest.

Even in saying JG played "well" vs USCe... it wasn't altogether effective. He couldn't get the ball in from the 1. After the long throw to MC, the drive stalled for a missed FG. Without JJ essentially running over USCe's D... JG's day would have been MUCH different.

UT scored to "N.O.T.s" or else that's a 27-21 game. Shrout was responsible for 13 of the those 27 points with less opportunities.

Offer all the critique you like but the facts don’t change. JG was the QB that led this team to 8 wins. That’s an undeniable fact.
No it isn't. It is neither a "fact" nor undeniable... handwave all you like.

That doesn’t mean he was great. The only thing it means is he was the QB our coaching staff felt have us the best chance to win. And win he did.
And at various points by that logic... they thought Maurer, Shrout, and even JJ gave the Vols the best chance to win. You have to apply that logic equally if it is valid.

What is "undeniable" and even affirmed by the coaches is that poor QB play is why UT was 1-3 going into the UGA game... which prompted them to play a Fr who clearly wasn't ready. JG's poor play against two bad D's to end the season is also pretty "undeniable". As KB said, they won in spite of him... not because of him.

Reactions: Big Al Orange
No it isn't. It is neither a "fact" nor undeniable... handwave all you like.

And at various points by that logic... they thought Maurer, Shrout, and even JJ gave the Vols the best chance to win. You have to apply that logic equally if it is valid.

Ok then so we should all stop using the statements about a QBs starting record and their wins and losses right? So why is the statement JG led us to
8 wins not a fact?

They may have thought that but inevitably who did they rely on time and time again? JG. Why? Because he was the best we had. Sorry that defeats your narrative but it does. You and others just continue to fall flat by not giving credit where it is due. And you continue to look stupid by

How Jarrett Guarantano's 'incredible' resolve impacted teammates

From the article and JJ himself.

Wide receiver Jauan Jennings at one point went to Pruitt and told the second-year head coach that Guarantano was Tennessee's best quarterback and the one the Vols needed.
“I just talked to him and (gave) my honest opinion on what I thought,” Jennings said last week. “We’ve got quarterbacks that’s stepped up this whole year. J.G., just coming in, the experience he has, I believed he was the one that could help us to get to where we are now. He’s done that,

In the same article Trey Smith gave JG some praise. Does that mean the whole team felt that way? No. But considering the 2 leaders of the offense said things like this was telling.
Well I stand corrected. But like I said.... doesn’t mean they all felt that way. I actually know for a fact they didn’t. Giving someone praise doesn’t mean Trey felt that way. I’ve given JG praise myself because he deserves it. However it doesn’t mean I feel he’s the best QB. He’s the safest qb. But safe won’t beat teams you’re not supposed to beat. Safe will get you good looking individual stat lines in blow out loses.

Well I stand corrected. But like I said.... doesn’t mean they all felt that way. I actually know for a fact they didn’t. Giving someone praise doesn’t mean Trey felt that way. I’ve given JG praise myself because he deserves it. However it doesn’t mean I feel he’s the best QB. He’s the safest qb. But safe won’t beat teams you’re not supposed to beat. Safe will get you good looking individual stat lines in blow out loses.
Doesn't mean Trey didn't feel that way either, and no offense but it doesn't matter how you feel. Lol. Doesn't matter how I feel either.

All you pukes that think you know more than the coaches and players are too funny.

Doesn't mean Trey didn't feel that way either, and no offense but it doesn't matter how you feel. Lol. Doesn't matter how I feel either.

All you pukes that think you know more than the coaches and players are too funny.

Just cuz im not a programmer for Microsoft doesnt mean i can't program better than them...

Just cuz someone is not a coach doesnt mean they dont know more. Just mens they dont make the choices of the team.. your logic is dumb

Ok then so we should all stop using the statements about a QBs starting record and their wins and losses right? So why is the statement JG led us to
8 wins not a fact?

They may have thought that but inevitably who did they rely on time and time again? JG. Why? Because he was the best we had. Sorry that defeats your narrative but it does. You and others just continue to fall flat by not giving credit where it is due. And you continue to look stupid by
I agree. We shouldn't judge QBs by wins and losses. Just like a pitcher there are many factors in getting wins.....until a definite amount of time is set (ie 6 IP for a win in baseball) then all QBs involved should have the win or loss

8 wins not a fact?

You don't think it says a lot that a RS Junior QB couldnt keep the starting spot when the alternative was an untested, unready true freshman?

Really explain instead of hurling insults?
Lulz, I was on your side of all this and wasn't even talking to you, until you called my logic dumb.

The thought that you, a fan on an internet message board that has never been to a practice, has never worked side by side with any of these players, hasn't been coaching for years and years, didn't recruit any of these guys.....etc. know more about those individual QB's than the coaches, is just all kinds of stupid. I actually can't believe you're trying to argue this.

Behr..... I’ve always respected you so don’t get this twisted as disrespect but you have no idea who has said what to me. Therefore you telling me what I THINK I know is ignorant on your part. My opinions don’t just form from hype or practice videos.

VN Store

Back