Spiked TD?

volmoon

A Bama player demonstratively spiked the football in the end zone following a TD catch on Saturday. Isn’t that still an unsportsmanlike penalty in college football?

BTW, I’m still recovering from what I believe will be talked about as one of the greatest college football games of this generation. My wife and I usually drive to Neyland from Missouri to see at least one game each year…Glad we chose this year’s Bama game. 😊 GBO!!!

I think it’s only a celebration penalty…….I’m sure the Bama player spiked it out of frustration. So no harm no foul.

Reactions: Augustus McRae
A Bama player demonstratively spiked the football in the end zone following a TD catch on Saturday. Isn’t that still an unsportsmanlike penalty in college football?

BTW, I’m still recovering from what I believe will be talked about as one of the greatest college football games of this generation. My wife and I usually drive to Neyland from Missouri to see at least one game each year…Glad we chose this year’s Bama game. 😊 GBO!!!

Me too. Went to the game and decided I would go down on the field. Jumped off the wall and pulled every muscle in my 60 year old body. Thought I was having a heart attack right there on Shields Watkins. For sure didn't feel like '82 when I did it the last time.

Me too. Went to the game and decided I would go down on the field. Jumped off the wall and pulled every muscle in my 60 year old body. Thought I was having a heart attack right there on Shields Watkins. For sure didn't feel like '82 when I did it the last time.
Still 20 in spirit 😂👊🏼

I thought it was a penalty as well. They can’t call everything on the GUMPS.

I believe we were cheated a safety call in the first qtr. We were going to sack Young in the end zone and he threw it on the ground. Did not travel to the line of scrimmage. I have watched it over and over. What am I missing here?
Eric Ainge touched on that situation today and said that Young clearly stepped out of the end zone before he threw the ball. Huge no call there.

Reactions: orangebloodgmc
The rule book says a player is allowed to do two things with the football after a score. Leave it on the ground or hand it to a referee. Anything else is a 15-yard unsportsmanlike conduct penalty.

I believe we were cheated a safety call in the first qtr. We were going to sack Young in the end zone and he threw it on the ground. Did not travel to the line of scrimmage. I have watched it over and over. What am I missing here?

They blew it. The ball landed at the feet of #55, a Bama OL. There wasn't an eligible receiver within 5 yards. Should have been a safety with Bama punting to us. Instead they got to punt without giving up the two points.

I got jumped on and knocked over just after crossing the wall. I'm definitely hurting still, but it was worth it.

2022 NCAA Rule Book, Section 9, page FR-101:

2. After a score or any other play, the player in possession immediately must return the ball to an official or leave it near the dead-ball spot. This prohibits:
(a) Kicking, throwing, spinning or carrying (including off of the field) the ball any distance that requires an official to retrieve it.
(b) Spiking the ball to the ground [Exception: A forward pass to conserve time (Rule 7-3-2-f)].
(c) Throwing the ball high into the air.
(d) Any other unsportsmanlike act or actions that delay the game.

They blew it. The ball landed at the feet of #55, a Bama OL. There wasn't an eligible receiver within 5 yards. Should have been a safety with Bama punting to us. Instead they got to punt without giving up the two points.

He was hit as he threw, so the trajectory of the ball no longer matters as long as it's forward and not a fumble. As for him stepping out of bounds, I have no idea. I don't recall seeing that in real time, but maybe.

Some poor guy tore his ACL celebrating at home.... Worth It!

Reactions: Ernest T. Vol

VN Store

Back