Spiked TD?

BY did not step out of bounds on the fumbled snap in the endzone. They showed the replay and he was in bounds. Bama was very lucky the way the ball bounced there. As far as the pass being far enough down field.... not sure.

BY did not step out of bounds on the fumbled snap in the endzone. They showed the replay and he was in bounds. Bama was very lucky the way the ball bounced there. As far as the pass being far enough down field.... not sure.
I just watched it. He did not step out of bounds. That should gave been a safety. I saw another view point and he threw it down. He was not attempting a pass.

Me too. Went to the game and decided I would go down on the field. Jumped off the wall and pulled every muscle in my 60 year old body. Thought I was having a heart attack right there on Shields Watkins. For sure didn't feel like '82 when I did it the last time.

How did you get back into the stands?

I wasn't going to rush the field and then in the moment, I almost did but hesitated. I saw people climbing back up the wall and was glad that I did not rush the field.

Different than walking through a gate or steps like in the 80's when the turf was on the field. I remember going on the field for lots of games back then but it wasn't storming the field like Saturday.

How did you get back into the stands?

I wasn't going to rush the field and then in the moment, I almost did but hesitated. I saw people climbing back up the wall and was glad that I did not rush the field.

Different than walking through a gate or steps like in the 80's when the turf was on the field. I remember going on the field for lots of games back then but it wasn't storming the field like Saturday.

No way I could climb that wall. I was down there stuck until the pa announcer told everybody to get out and "take the party on the road" and I hobbled out through the endzone.

No way I could climb that wall. I was down there stuck until the pa announcer told everybody to get out and "take the party on the road" and I hobbled out through the endzone.

South Endzone, after the losers left?

I was just curious how people got out, I was thinking the north endzone wall is pretty low.

Reactions: Ernest T. Vol
They blew it. The ball landed at the feet of #55, a Bama OL. There wasn't an eligible receiver within 5 yards. Should have been a safety with Bama punting to us. Instead they got to punt without giving up the two points.

The ruling was he was hit while throwing which changed the trajectory of the pass. Kind of a cop out for the QB but happens a lot

He was hit as he threw, so the trajectory of the ball no longer matters as long as it's forward and not a fumble. As for him stepping out of bounds, I have no idea. I don't recall seeing that in real time, but maybe.

The NCAA rule book makes no mention of a player being hit while throwing. As a matter of fact, it doesn't even mention ball passing the line of scrimmage unless a player is outside the tackle box. If you're in the tackle box, under pressure and throw it 50 yards down field and there's no receiver around its grounding per the rulebook.

The NCAA rule book makes no mention of a player being hit while throwing. As a matter of fact, it doesn't even mention ball passing the line of scrimmage unless a player is outside the tackle box. If you're in the tackle box, under pressure and throw it 50 yards down field and there's no receiver around its grounding per the rulebook.

That may be true, I'm certainly no rule expert. That was just always my understanding. I feel like you'd have a hard time getting a ref to call grounding in that situation though. It seems like that happens quite often and never gets called.

From a 2016 article from NBC sports about the pro game:

"If the defender hits the quarterback or the ball before the forward movement begins, the grounding rules apply; thus, if the quarterback tries to throw it after being hit, the ball has to land in the vicinity of a receiver"

Not sure if that applies to the college game, but he was definitely hit after his forward motion had begun, not before

I just watched it. He did not step out of bounds. That should gave been a safety. I saw another view point and he threw it down. He was not attempting a pass.
I've watched the game twice and y'all have me feeling like I must have missed a play. Is the play at 2:20 the play you're referring to?
Edit: Ahhh... you're talking about the play after. Didn't think of it during the game but you're right. Should have been a safety.

From a 2016 article from NBC sports about the pro game:

"If the defender hits the quarterback or the ball before the forward movement begins, the grounding rules apply; thus, if the quarterback tries to throw it after being hit, the ball has to land in the vicinity of a receiver"

Not sure if that applies to the college game, but he was definitely hit after his forward motion had begun, not before

None of that is in the college rulebook, the only thing the college rule book mentions regarding a defender says if the quarterback is outside the tacklebox and a defensive player bats the ball down before it crosses the neutral zone, it's not grounding.

Good grief guys we won.
Never gonna get that grounding call when the QB is being hit simultaneously as he throws. No way to tell if he was actually grounding the ball or trying to get it to someone.

Reactions: hUTch2002
A Bama player demonstratively spiked the football in the end zone following a TD catch on Saturday. Isn’t that still an unsportsmanlike penalty in college football?

BTW, I’m still recovering from what I believe will be talked about as one of the greatest college football games of this generation. My wife and I usually drive to Neyland from Missouri to see at least one game each year…Glad we chose this year’s Bama game. 😊 GBO!!!

Unsportsmanlike penalties are something that seems to change every year, they can’t make up their mind on it. In the early 2010’s they were taking away TD’s for it. I remember CP high stepped after he was in the end zone in 2012 and they took away his TD (against Mizzou I think). Then that disappeared.

Ralph Webb for Vandy once Gator chomped after a TD and got an unsportsmanlike, now it happens when anyone plays the gators with no flags.

Just depends on the year I guess.

Unsportsmanlike penalties are something that seems to change every year, they can’t make up their mind on it. In the early 2010’s they were taking away TD’s for it. I remember CP high stepped after he was in the end zone in 2012 and they took away his TD (against Mizzou I think). Then that disappeared.

Ralph Webb for Vandy once Gator chomped after a TD and got an unsportsmanlike, now it happens when anyone plays the gators with no flags.

Just depends on the year I guess.
Yeah it's been nuts. Can't take the emotion out of the game. If he had spiked the ball in front of a UT player then there's probably a flag because that would be considered taunting/unsportsmanlike.

I believe we were cheated a safety call in the first qtr. We were going to sack Young in the end zone and he threw it on the ground. Did not travel to the line of scrimmage. I have watched it over and over. What am I missing here?

I agree.. I also thought his right foot stepped out of the end zone just before he threw it. Watched the replay and it looked real close.

GO VOLS

Was just reading about some turf missing, I wonder if any posters on here got that great memorabilia.. I know they probably won't state who. Still in my glory as most of you, my voice is still gone.

A Bama player demonstratively spiked the football in the end zone following a TD catch on Saturday. Isn’t that still an unsportsmanlike penalty in college football?

BTW, I’m still recovering from what I believe will be talked about as one of the greatest college football games of this generation. My wife and I usually drive to Neyland from Missouri to see at least one game each year…Glad we chose this year’s Bama game. 😊 GBO!!!
Yup

Good grief guys we won.
Never gonna get that grounding call when the QB is being hit simultaneously as he throws. No way to tell if he was actually grounding the ball or trying to get it to someone.

It doesn't matter if he's being hit. That appears no where in the rule book. Him being under pressure actually is one of the things required for grounding. My main point in talking about it is due to Bama fans crying they were screwed. The officials cost us 2 on that safety and then at least 4, if not 7 more on the bogus PI call. We should have been up 5 to 9 points and not had to worry about a last second FG if the officials properly do their job. Yet Bama fans would have got believe we only won because they were called for things they clearly did.

Yeah it's been nuts. Can't take the emotion out of the game. If he had spiked the ball in front of a UT player then there's probably a flag because that would be considered taunting/unsportsmanlike.

You have two options post score. Leave the ball on the field where the play ended or hand it to the official. The rulebook specifically states anything else, including a spike, constitutes unsportsmanlike conduct.

2022 NCAA Rule Book, Section 9, page FR-101:

2. After a score or any other play, the player in possession immediately must return the ball to an official or leave it near the dead-ball spot. This prohibits:
(a) Kicking, throwing, spinning or carrying (including off of the field) the ball any distance that requires an official to retrieve it.
(b) Spiking the ball to the ground [Exception: A forward pass to conserve time (Rule 7-3-2-f)].
(c) Throwing the ball high into the air.
(d) Any other unsportsmanlike act or actions that delay the game.
Thank you 👊🏼

Eric Ainge touched on that situation today and said that Young clearly stepped out of the end zone before he threw the ball. Huge no call there.
Really? I knew he was close but I never saw him step out. Got a pic by any chance?

Good grief guys we won.
I’m with you. Just watched it again and he got killed as he was throwing. I’ve never seen that called grounding at any level of football.

VN Store

Back