Sometimes it gets worse before it gets better

Let’s just hope it sticks. We’ve seen spikes like this, then March comes around and it slows back down.
True. IMO he's going to have to slow down on the quick trigger when someone takes a poor shot or turns the ball over.

So what we saw last night was the same offense we saw at LSU?

The biggest difference in the Vols offense game over game since Kansas has been if they hit their open looks or not. Last night they shot the lights out. Against LSU and Ol' Miss they couldn't throw it in the ocean standing on the beach. This group seems to be all hot or all cold. It would help if someone was on every night, but they seem to all be on or off at the same time. On off nights they can't even make layups and free throws. The contrast in the two Missouri games is a microcosm of the whole season. When the shots are falling, they play good enough defense to beat anyone. The problem is some nights they can go 6-7 minutes of game clock without a field goal. Not because they can’t run offense and get good looks but because they can miss 6-8 wide open shots in a row. They have enough guys who can score that someone ought to have a Victor Baily type night every night. We’ve seen Springer do it, and Johnson, If Baily picks it up and JJJ can have a hot night when they need it maybe they can string a few games together come tourny time.

We see things differently I suppose. For the most part I saw lots of terrific passing and ball movement.

Yep round and round the perimeter til someone takes a shot or maybe a drive (one on one) or a "big" (I use the term loosely) gets forgotten. (then he puts the ball on the floor and has it stolen). I just don't like the "playless" just passing around til someone comes open or just before time expires take a long one.

Reactions: Roustabout
Yep round and round the perimeter til someone takes a shot or maybe a drive (one on one) or a "big" (I use the term loosely) gets forgotten. (then he puts the ball on the floor and has it stolen). I just don't like the "playless" just passing around til someone comes open or just before time expires take a long one.
Against South Carolina I saw something amazing and spectacular: a pick-and-roll! It's almost a cliché now for college teams to throw in a ball screen with a roll at about 10 seconds left in the shot clock. We didn't get down that far in the shot clock often against USC but when we did Fulky got a nifty slam on a pick-and-roll. Almost didn't believe what I was seeing.

Reactions: savannahfan
Against South Carolina I saw something amazing and spectacular: a pick-and-roll! It's almost a cliché now for college teams to throw in a ball screen with a roll at about 10 seconds left in the shot clock. We didn't get down that far in the shot clock often against USC but when we did Fulky got a nifty slam on a pick-and-roll. Almost didn't believe what I was seeing.
It was actually a give and go, which is different. Fulk scored twice on it. Surprised no one has mentioned that Dykes had discussed that someone of the team said “we’re running this old play no one had heard of before,” referencing the give and go.

It was actually a give and go, which is different. Fulk scored twice on it. Surprised no one has mentioned that Dykes had discussed that someone of the team said “we’re running this old play no one had heard of before,” referencing the give and go.
I saw that too, and I like the quotes they're giving about it, but I was referencing a different play, at 3:43:

Reactions: Roustabout
Let’s not get to giddy over bearing one of the worst SEC teams that was playing without two of their starters. We still make a lot of unforced eroors turning the ball over. Matin gambled with playing a zone when most teams have been beating us by playing physical man to man defense. Not sure what he was thinking and it just so happened we were hitting our 3’s.
Let’s beat KY , another bottom feeder in the SEC, Saturday and then we can get excited

Remember earlier this season when we couldn’t beat a zone?

I applaud Rick Barnes for seeing that an offense that was ran thru Fulky and Pons led by SV wasn’t going to get this team deep in March. I applaud him for firing his OC mid season and starting a new!

it’s clear Barnes has left his comfort zone and is letting this team lose and make no mistake it’s the reason why we have seen some real stinkers. It’s the reason why Fulky and Pons are having to rediscover themselves and yea it got worse for the short term

but tonight showed us how Fulky can be extremely effective. He just needs to be a slasher and a garbage man. He can be a 10-12 pt guy a night and Pons really stepped up with great rebounding tonight.

And yes if this team is going to make a special run in March it will be led by Springer, Johnson, James, SV and Bailey. The guards can take us to the final 4 with this new dribble drive offense we are seeing!

i am excited for March!

Is this what you meant by getting worse? If it was then yes it appeared to be worse and I didn't see much offense of any type.

Reactions: 08Vol
I applaud Rick Barnes for seeing that an offense that was ran thru Fulky and Pons led by SV wasn’t going to get this team deep in March. I applaud him for firing his OC mid season and starting a new!

it’s clear Barnes has left his comfort zone and is letting this team lose and make no mistake it’s the reason why we have seen some real stinkers. It’s the reason why Fulky and Pons are having to rediscover themselves and yea it got worse for the short term

but tonight showed us how Fulky can be extremely effective. He just needs to be a slasher and a garbage man. He can be a 10-12 pt guy a night and Pons really stepped up with great rebounding tonight.

And yes if this team is going to make a special run in March it will be led by Springer, Johnson, James, SV and Bailey. The guards can take us to the final 4 with this new dribble drive offense we are seeing!

i am excited for March!
I’m not.

Reactions: 08Vol
And they don’t deserve that chance

it’s going to be appalling to listen and watch all the Kentucky love we hear in a few weeks. It won’t surprise my at all if they win it
Oh theyll win it. SEC will make sure of that. You can see it in hownthe refs call all their games.

Sorry to do this again....but....hell no.
Well, for that short moment in time, they were. Foolish of me to think that they could make a consistent break from the "blah". Since their return from that short spurt of excitement, they have somehow been even worse than before.

Reactions: Lankykong

VN Store

Back