Sometimes it gets worse before it gets better

It wasn’t just last night. It was second half at Rupp, it was against Kansas. It takes time to move away from the work thru the post offense. Growing pains are Certain

Didn't they get away from the work through the post offense against LSU. Seems like Fulky and Pons responded with a combined total of 4 - 6 points that game and we got a beatdown. Your offense has to include the guys on the interior getting involved and we did that last night with really good ball movement
and occasional penetration - but again against an awful team with two starters out playing a soft zone. We don't match up well against certain teams and I think VB was 4 of 17 from 3 in the prior games the last two weeks. Against strong man to man physical defense he struggles - a lot of others do as well - but don't think that our team has suddenly changed offensive strategy or found the magic potion that will take them to the final 4. The success last night was more about South Carolina than it was about us. We do tend to play much better in TB than on the road.

Didn't they get away from the work through the post offense against LSU. Seems like Fulky and Pons responded with a combined total of 4 - 6 points that game and we got a beatdown. Your offense has to include the guys on the interior getting involved and we did that last night with really good ball movement
and occasional penetration - but again against an awful team with two starters out playing a soft zone. We don't match up well against certain teams and I think VB was 4 of 17 from 3 in the prior games the last two weeks. Against strong man to man physical defense he struggles - a lot of others do as well - but don't think that our team has suddenly changed offensive strategy or found the magic potion that will take them to the final 4. The success last night was more about South Carolina than it was about us. We do tend to play much better in TB than on the road.
Your assertion they're an awful team is incorrect.

Reactions: walkenvol

your post seems to Ignore the entire reason for the thread which is things often times get worse before getting better when significant changes are made in style midseason

Reactions: Lurker
your post seems to Ignore the entire reason for the thread which is things often times get worse before getting better when significant changes are made in style midseason
Either you (not specifically you) think Barnes is lying or players are starting to better grasp what he wants more so than a complete change in style. We had Springer and Johnson both say Barnes has been pushing them to run more all season long and now this about Fulk...

Either you (not specifically you) think Barnes is lying or players are starting to better grasp what he wants more so than a complete change in style. We had Springer and Johnson both say Barnes has been pushing them to run more all season long and now this about Fulk...

Barnes has always said he wants to push the ball and play uptempo but then contradicts that by saying the offense plays thru the post. I think finally he’s leaving out the second part of that message which makes his wishes more consistent

This is a good plan. When Fulk catches it in the post, he gets stripped or turns it over or gets blocked entirely too often and doesn't draw enough fouls to justify that. But he's a great passer and can create a lot of opportunities for the guards going inside out. (Pons has this issue of getting stripped, too, which is rather infuriating seeing as how the guy can bench press a car.)

Reactions: Vol49er
Barnes has always said he wants to push the ball and play uptempo but then contradicts that by saying the offense plays thru the post. I think finally he’s leaving out the second part of that message which makes his wishes more consistent
I think when it goes to a half court set he wants Fulk to get a touch, however he also wants to push the ball as often as possible if/when it’s there...both of those things can be true, although maybe hard for this group to have gotten down. Fulky did have the 2nd most FGA on the team and they weren’t all in transition, team had a good balance offensively last night imo.

I think when it goes to a half court set he wants Fulk to get a touch, however he also wants to push the ball as often as possible if/when it’s there...both of those things can be true, although maybe hard for this group to have gotten down. Fulky did have the 2nd most FGA on the team and they weren’t all in transition, team had a good balance offensively last night imo.

Last night I only counted one back to basket shot for Fulky. The rest were slashes or garbage

Last night I only counted one back to basket shot for Fulky. The rest were slashes or garbage
Not gonna go back and watch but I seem to remember 3-4 minimum...he may have ultimately ended up facing the basket but they started with what I’d call a post up. Also, slashing within a half court set is also playing through his post, he likes the decision making on Fulk.

Not gonna go back and watch but I seem to remember 3-4 minimum...he may have ultimately ended up facing the basket but they started with what I’d call a post up. Also, slashing within a half court set is also playing through his post, he likes the decision making on Fulk.
Same here

Let’s not get to giddy over bearing one of the worst SEC teams that was playing without two of their starters. We still make a lot of unforced eroors turning the ball over. Matin gambled with playing a zone when most teams have been beating us by playing physical man to man defense. Not sure what he was thinking and it just so happened we were hitting our 3’s.
Let’s beat KY , another bottom feeder in the SEC, Saturday and then we can get excited

Did you enjoy writing that? I certainly enjoyed reading and getting to agree with it!:) It won't last forever, but I hope it lasts past this weekend!

It’s really the style that best suits Fulks game. Also, since he’s started squaring guys up and found a freakin head fake he becomes dangerous in multiple ways. Imo
I did notice a couple times the defense found an extra gear. That may be somewhat the plan with being willing to give up more pts to find an offense that can score 70+ per night.
Then come March hopefully the D goes back to balls out and the uptempo O maintains.

Last edited:

I did go back re watch the tape and he did go back to the basket 3 times.

Kudos to Barnes for making an adjustment mid-season in the style of play.

Let’s just hope it sticks. We’ve seen spikes like this, then March comes around and it slows back down.

I don’t think this is a fair representation of what CRB said in the past. My understanding was a desire to push the ball at every opportunity but when no good shots open up to then do the motion offense with inside out play - at least that was my understanding

Watching the Vols BB team is like watching a Johnny Majors football team. You never know which team is going to show up.

Which as I saw it led to one guy turning the play into a one on one. As in a pass from one player to another who goes on a one on one display for a basket. I guess I define an asst. as a play where the ball handler is making a move to the basket AND then leads another teammate in a basket. Not just I, standing still, pass to you who are standing still take then take a side step of fake forward move, then shoot and make the goal. That to me does not constitute a play with an asst. just a one on one play.
What?

This is a good plan. When Fulk catches it in the post, he gets stripped or turns it over or gets blocked entirely too often and doesn't draw enough fouls to justify that. But he's a great passer and can create a lot of opportunities for the guards going inside out. (Pons has this issue of getting stripped, too, which is rather infuriating seeing as how the guy can bench press a car.)
I agree as far as this year is concerned. Last year Fulk drew fouls like crazy on post ups. Seemed like Pons got stripped less last year too

VN Store

Back