Some Bluebloods have returned...

We can get out of this mess. The Haslams have backed off a bit because of the backlash. We have a TN guy as AD. The BoT was reworked and streamlined. Essentially the reset button has been hit.

I’m not sold on Pruitt yet. He’s our guy but he’s still just a guy. Some of our losses were really bad. Pruitt needs time to work his plan, 4 or 5 years, and I think the majority of our fans realize that. Considering the circumstances his 2nd class is a job well done but each class will need to be better than the last. Each new assistant or position coach needs to be an upgrade.

If Pruitt doesn’t work I still think Fulmer needs an opportunity to make the right replacement hire because we had to scramble so much last year.
I agree. I also think Pruitt is having to learn how to coach up non-elite talent. He has never been in a situation where the locker room had this many losers with mediocre talent. That requires a totally different coaching style, one I hope he possessed, but only time will tell.

I’m not sure how well you can read but I clearly stated Pruitt deserves his time so not really sure what your talking about.
If I misread your post I apologize brother. Lol. Copious amounts of purple ganja and reading ain't so fundamental...allegedly.

Reactions: Behr
Bet that's some good stuff! I remember smoking some.. what was called black ganja back in the early to mid 80's. Pretty sure that's the reason I never was a big pot smoker. Lulz.
We need to get you some dabs Behr. I don't smoke every day though. That way when I do smoke...cheech and chong high bro.

Not accurate. He won a NFC championship, and 2 conference titles at San Diego.

I agree he is overrated though.

The NFC isn't in college. But yeah, he won 2 conference titles at an FCS school. He has yet to even win his division at an FBS school. Seems like he'd have to do at least that before he's anointed a top 5 FBS coach.

The NFC isn't in college. But yeah, he won 2 conference titles at an FCS school. He has yet to even win his division at an FBS school. Seems like he'd have to do at least that before he's anointed a top 5 FBS coach.

Oh, correct. He hasn't won anything at the FBS level. His 12-1 Stanford season he didn't win the Pac-12 even. If he's a top 5 FBS coach it's simply because of a lack of better coaches to put ahead of him.

Saban, Urban, Dabo we're the top guys...but who else is there?

His tenure specifically at Michigan is. I still think regardless of what happens at Michigan, what he did at Stanford and with the 49ers was extremely impressive.

I think what really helped him be successful at Stanford was that he brought a big, physical, "mean" brand of football that the Pac 12 wasn't used to playing against. Even though he had Andrew Luck, they were a power running team the entire time he was there. What really helped him in SF was bringing the read option or read option concepts and it took NFL defenses a while to adjust to it.

At Michigan, he's basically going strength on strength - he's playing a stereotypical brand of Big Ten football in the Big Ten - and it isn't working out as well as anyone hoped. He's successful when he brings to something different to the table.

I disagree about Stanford, He never won his division in the the Pac 12 let alone the conference championship. He was a solid coach but no better than he is now at Michigan, he has never won a championship of any kind in Power 5 football! jmho

I disagree about Stanford, He never won his division in the the Pac 12 let alone the conference championship. He was a solid coach but no better than he is now at Michigan, he has never won a championship of any kind in Power 5 football! jmho
The Pac 12 (then the Pac 10) had no divisions when he was there. They were a game away from playing for the national title in 2010, and if the CFP existed then they might've made the playoff. Their only loss was to Oregon, who played Auburn for the title that year. Prior to this, Stanford was basically Vandy of the Pac 10.

Before Harbaugh, the last time they'd made a bowl was 2001 and the last time they'd won a bowl was 1996. His 2010 season at Stanford is better than any of his seasons at Michigan, and he had far less resources.

Lol. STFU and grow a pair buddy. That type of defeatist attitude is what manifest into reality the very thing you are crying about. Be a fountain not a drain Mr. Energy vampire...
I’m cautiously thinking 7-5 next year with a bowl win...great start going into 2020....

We haven't returned because our AD consistently hires experiments to try to resurrect a failing football program. Texas hired a proven HC. Michigan hired a proven HC and so did ND. They all have seen results (yes, even Michigan). Putting an entire football program rebuild on a first-time HC wasn't smart for our AD.

Isn't the definition of insanity doing the same thing over and over again expecting different results? Our AD constantly hires up and comers and I have yet to be convinced that Pruitt's hire is any different from Butch Jones or Dooley.

Maybe Pruitt can break the trend, maybe he can't. Time will tell.

We haven't returned because our AD consistently hires experiments to try to resurrect a failing football program. Texas hired a proven HC. Michigan hired a proven HC and so did ND. They all have seen results (yes, even Michigan). Putting an entire football program rebuild on a first-time HC wasn't smart for our AD.

Isn't the definition of insanity doing the same thing over and over again expecting different results? Our AD constantly hires up and comers and I have yet to be convinced that Pruitt's hire is any different from Butch Jones or Dooley.

Maybe Pruitt can break the trend, maybe he can't. Time will tell.
Butch was a fairly successful head coach before being hired by Tennessee, so it's different in that regard. In fact, Butch had more head coaching experience prior to Tennessee than Tom Herman has now. Charlie Strong took Louisville to a BCS bowl before bombing at Texas. Dan Hawkins and Al Golden were fairly successful head coaches before getting big time jobs, and it didn't work out too well for them. Meanwhile, Dabo Swinney was never even a coordinator before being hired by Clemson. Kirby Smart went from coordinator to head coach. Hell, look at Sean McVay's success with the Rams. Some of you are stuck on this idea of having "proven" coaches. Someone more devoted than I will undoubtedly have more data, but it seems clear to me that there isn't much difference in success rate.

I don't like Texas, but college football is better when they are good. College football is better generally when blue blood programs/traditional powers are good with up-and-comers mixed in.

Texas/Oklahoma is a really fun game when both schools are good. I really wish they'd decide to play A&M again. If both schools are emerging as powers again, that'd also be a fun game.

Football may be better when TX is doing well, but it is difficult to be around so many TX fans here in Fort Worth. The TX vs A&M was a great series and good for the state.

Reactions: 05_never_again
100% this. I don't think beating up Pruitt would be the right thing to do with this point. He's too early into his tenure. However Tennessee made a Monumental mistake hiring him. Not because there's something wrong with him. I just think that the job requires somebody with a different skill set. A proven skill set. We should have been looking for a coach that has a record of making chicken salad out of chickensh1t. We should have been looking for a coach from a smaller team who is a perennial winner with no Talent players. Coaches like the ones at Appalachian State or Chris Petersen. Somebody that can take two and three star recruits and punch above their weight. Hopefully Pruitt can dig deep and find that ability. But I don't have a lot of faith in that. He just hasn't ever been a head coach much less someone in charge of a rebuilding process as big as ours.

I believe this staff is going about it in a different way....they are attracting better players! Those coaches only have great teams once in a few years when everything works out great, instead of year after year being strong. You cannot take lesser talented players and coach them up any longer and compete for SEC championships. Fulmer learned that the hard way and it cost him his job. Why not beat them on the recruiting trail and compete with the same talent as they are? Does UGA have to attract lesser skilled players and coach them up? why would you just admit defeat on the recruiting trail?

Washington state would be middle of the pack here in the SEC. UCF just learned how difficult it is competing in the SEC. Pruitt has the perfect skill set for this task at hand and it is on the recruiting trail. Alabama did not take a coach from a small school and coach people up, they started getting better players than everyone else. The path has already been laid out, all UT has to do it follow it just as Clemson and UGA have.

The Pac 12 (then the Pac 10) had no divisions when he was there. They were a game away from playing for the national title in 2010, and if the CFP existed then they might've made the playoff. Their only loss was to Oregon, who played Auburn for the title that year. Prior to this, Stanford was basically Vandy of the Pac 10.

Before Harbaugh, the last time they'd made a bowl was 2001 and the last time they'd won a bowl was 1996. His 2010 season at Stanford is better than any of his seasons at Michigan, and he had far less resources.

Close doesn't win championships!

I agree with everything you said there, but I disagree he is a top level coach because he was 1 win a way from the playoff this year as well.

Harbaugh is an above average coach but not a championship level coach is all I am saying he can only take any team so far.

Side note: USC was on probation at that time right? Playing with 10 Scholarships short for 3 years...

Close doesn't win championships!

I agree with everything you said there, but I disagree he is a top level coach because he was 1 win a way from the playoff this year as well.

Harbaugh is an above average coach but not a championship level coach is all I am saying he can only take any team so far.
Being a win away from the playoff at Michigan is much different than being a win away from the playoff at Stanford. What he did at Stanford is more impressive than anything he's done at Michigan. You have to consider the resource level between the two programs. Stanford was 1-11 the year before he took over, in a P5 conference, and within 4 years they were a top 5 team winning the Orange Bowl. Harbaugh hasn't even won a NY6 bowl or finished in the top 5 at Michigan yet, a school with vastly superior resources.

VN Store

Back