Social media and our children

Oh I agree but also recognize a phone can cause a lot more trouble than a TV because of the increased capabilities
It may be hard to digest, and it may be even harder to agree, but the same gripes and the rationale justifying those gripes are the same from parents of the 70s/80s had with TV, 80s/90s had with video game systems, 90s/00s with internet, 00s/10s with online gaming, etc.

When books became affordable for the masses, adults of the day lamented about kids and books. Some even went so far as terming the "fad" reading rage or book lust. Point is, we (the older of society) will always piss and moan about the new tech our kids are embracing and predict calamity because of it.

Is social media healthy for kids? Depends entirely on the child, the media consumed, and the parents. For example, it is good for your kids to accept that fair compensation for labor is not something which can be provided top down. It must be acquired by the laborer. This is counter to your ideals but your kids would be better equipped for life if they be exposed to reality and accepted it.
Social media causes brain rot. No comparison to books.

I don't care what you do, I care if it affects my world.

Unfortunatly, what you are experiencing IS the future. You are NOT Got. Life happens, including you good people, with, or without you. Just like my GEN took music from the 70's, I have faith our youth will take online. Be Smarter. It's not our world. Raise good people and they will be ok. They know it better than you.

Social media causes brain rot. No comparison to books.
Congrats. Your contemporaries are found in the 1800s.

Those people said the same.

Your grandchildren (as adults) will say it about interactive holograms (or whatever).

Reactions: marcusluvsvols
Congrats. Your contemporaries are found in the 1800s.

Those people said the same.

Your grandchildren (as adults) will say it about interactive holograms (or whatever).
Have you seen the level of crap people post on social media? They make you and LG look like geniuses.

It may be hard to digest, and it may be even harder to agree, but the same gripes and the rationale justifying those gripes are the same from parents of the 70s/80s had with TV, 80s/90s had with video game systems, 90s/00s with internet, 00s/10s with online gaming, etc.
Agree to some extent but all those eras kids would still go out, still go outside. I never got into gaming but even the kids I knew who did they would turn it off and leave the screen. Kids and most adults never leave the devices. How often you go to dinner and see the whole damn table playing on their phones, just about every time

Many things have done that through the years:
Television
Social groups
School groups
extracurricular
sports
part time jobs.

The internet connected cell phone is simply the latest iteration.

Yes but there were actually benefits for the child in everything you listed minus television. I see no benefit to development of a kid in social media/cell phones.

Have you seen the level of crap people post on social media? They make you and LG look like geniuses.
I don't use social media apart from VN and Imgur.
But this isn't about me. It is about you and the 'calamity de juor' corrupting our kids. Betcha the Egyptians pissed and moaned about papyrus scrolls

Agree to some extent but all those eras kids would still go out, still go outside. I never got into gaming but even the kids I knew who did they would turn it off and leave the screen. Kids and most adults never leave the devices. How often you go to dinner and see the whole damn table playing on their phones, just about every time
I see kids outside all the time. Are they playing baseball or throwing rocks through windows like we did. No. But what makes our time outside so sacrosanct compared to what the kids do outside now?

I see kids outside all the time. Are they playing baseball or throwing rocks through windows like we did. No. But what makes our time outside so sacrosanct compared to what the kids do outside now?

I don't see many kids outside now without being supervised.

Yes but there were actually benefits for the child in everything you listed minus television. I see no benefit to development of a kid in social media/cell phones.
There are no one-sided coins in life. Same is true with kids having access to internet. There is benefit...we may not be aware of what they are or agree it IS a benefit...but they are there.

There are no one-sided coins in life. Same is true with kids having access to internet. There is benefit...we may not be aware of what they are or agree it IS a benefit...but they are there.

It goes back to the saying "everything in moderation". I think it's fine for kids to have some screen time, IMO it becomes a problem when screen time replaces personal interaction.

VN Store

Back