Social media and our children

Social media harms kids by exposing them to reality sooner rather than later. They realize quickly that a select few (the most attractive, the wealthiest, etc) receive the lion’s share of the rewards (likes and shares) while their toil goes largely unnoticed. They see the world at an early age for what it really is: nothing but a bunch of crabs in a bucket who cannot cooperate to save themselves.

Thus the solution cannot simply be a reduction in screen time, it has to encompass a radical change that sees everyone treated as human beings worthy of dignity and fair compensation for labor.

Last edited:
Social media harms kids by exposing them to reality sooner rather than later. They realize quickly that a select few (the most attractive, the wealthiest, etc) receive the lion’s share of the rewards (likes and shares) while their toil goes largely unnoticed. They see the world at an early age for what it really is: nothing but a bunch of crabs in a bucket who cannot cooperate to save themselves.

Thus the solution cannot simply be a reduction in screen time, it has to encompass a radical change that sees everyone treated as human beings worthy of dignity and fair compensation for labor.

While I don't necessarily think its a good idea to create a bubble around our kids it is absolutely the parents responsibilty to protect their children. It's also the parents responsibility to control the content that their children see and view. While social media can be a good thing if used properly I do believe it can do way more harm then good. Kids need to learn to talk to people face to face and have real relationships with others. So much thats on social media is fake and not real life. I don't do social media, neither does my wife and my kids certainly don't.

Last edited:
Reactions: -GiveHim6- and AM64
Social media certainly has some negative consequences, especially with children.

Have to say though, fair compensation for labor is not usually what enters my realm of concern with respect to my kids use of SM.

If I have any concern over that, I just tell them to go outside and cut the grass.

When books became affordable for the masses, adults of the day lamented about kids and books. Some even went so far as terming the "fad" reading rage or book lust. Point is, we (the older of society) will always piss and moan about the new tech our kids are embracing and predict calamity because of it.

Is social media healthy for kids? Depends entirely on the child, the media consumed, and the parents. For example, it is good for your kids to accept that fair compensation for labor is not something which can be provided top down. It must be acquired by the laborer. This is counter to your ideals but your kids would be better equipped for life if they be exposed to reality and accepted it.

I have never understood the mindset of parents anymore that give kids of all ages phones. Your 6 year old doesn't need a damn phone. I ask anyone around me with kids, why does your 10 year old need a phone. Answer is always the same and it's lame. It's always "well I need to know when little Timmy gets home from school" We all made it just fine from school and never had a cell phone. Truth is most of these parents use them as babysitters and let their kids turn into zombies

I have never understood the mindset of parents anymore that give kids of all ages phones. Your 6 year old doesn't need a damn phone. I ask anyone around me with kids, why does your 10 year old need a phone. Answer is always the same and it's lame. It's always "well I need to know when little Timmy gets home from school" We all made it just fine from school and never had a cell phone. Truth is most of these parents use them as babysitters and let their kids turn into zombies

I'm thankful cell phones didn't exist when I was a teenager. I've still never owned on personally.

The problem with social is the "monetizing" part. The more you click, the more it feeds you. It's a feed back loop, and pretty soon you are talking to yourself... or the AI.

If you want a challenge, go set up a new YouTube account. Say you are a 13 y/o boy. See what watch suggestions you get.

While I don't necessarily think its a good idea to create a bubble around our kids it is absolutely the parents responsibilty to protect their children. It's also the parents responsibility to control the content that their children see and view. While social media can be a good thing if used properly I do believe it can do way more harm then good. Kids need to learn to talk to people face to face and have real relationships with others. So much thats on social media is fake and not real life. I don't do social media, neither does my wife and my kids certainly don't.

Finally, someone who gets it. Rather than just blaming the social media creators and vendors, parents have a sacred obligation to controlling what their kids are exposed unto.

Last edited:
There is no way in heaven or hell you are going to keep your kids off social coming out of a pandemic. You have to educate them. That is a really tough situation rn, because parents don't understand what they are standing in yet.

Reactions: AM64
We are buying and selling our children. Is that a good thing? American cali companies will tell you yes! Ask africa.

Americans have a unique advantage. It comes from America. Be smarter.

There is no way in heaven or hell you are going to keep your kids off social coming out of a pandemic. You have to educate them. That is a really tough situation rn, because parents don't understand what they are standing in yet.

My kids are the coolest kids in class (in daddy's opinion) and they could care less about social media. True story

Reactions: marcusluvsvols
Is it the cell phone and the increased communication between kids and parents or is the access to internet the phone provides? Or is it possibly that it is a display of wealth to others? Something else entirely???

Its the folks that give you the option are the same people making cash off you. Be better spenders.

I do not care if you make money, just stop being evil. Let people know what you are doing upfront. It's why we pay you.

Social media is terrible for child development but not for any of the reasons you listed.

If anything, those are all good lessons to learn at a young age. Not everyone's a winner. Life is rarely fair. Some people have to do a lot less to get a lot more.

Sure, the bubble of adolescence is important, but there also need to be hard lessons there.

Is it the cell phone and the increased communication between kids and parents or is the access to internet the phone provides? Or is it possibly that it is a display of wealth to others? Something else entirely???

We gave both of our 2 oldest kids a phone when they turned 12. Strictly for communication purposes. If they want to access the internet they have to asked either me or my wife to turn on our Hotspot. My oldest is 14 and she is mature enough that I feel confident she could actually handle it.

I would say in most cases access to internet so the kid can watch YouTube and be on social media all day (free babysitter) and because all the other kids have them. I’m 40, so for us it was everyone had or wanted the newest pair of Jordans I think that’s the cell phone now for kids

I would say in most cases access to internet so the kid can watch YouTube and be on social media all day (free babysitter) and because all the other kids have them. I’m 40, so for us it was everyone had or wanted the newest pair of Jordans I think that’s the cell phone now for kids
Understood. It doesn't help your gripe (which is legitimate, imo) but there have been subpar parents in every generation. Today's subpar parents default to the internet via phone. Mine defaulted to television.

It's parental laziness, the electronics keep the kids out of their parents hair.

It's parental laziness, the electronics keep the kids out of their parents hair.
Many things have done that through the years:
Television
Social groups
School groups
extracurricular
sports
part time jobs.

The internet connected cell phone is simply the latest iteration.

Reactions: marcusluvsvols
Understood. It doesn't help your gripe (which is legitimate, imo) but there have been subpar parents in every generation. Today's subpar parents default to the internet via phone. Mine defaulted to television.
Oh I agree but also recognize a phone can cause a lot more trouble than a TV because of the increased capabilities

VN Store

Back