So the Truth Comes Out NCAA

While I hate that Tennessee is getting picked on by the NCAA; I hate even more what college athletics has turned into post NIL/transfer portal rule changes. So many of these kids today have absolutely no loyalty to the programs or the fans that support them and are looking to jump to the highest bidder every year.

Kids should go to college for an education and the college experience. If they are expecting a multi-million dollar salary at 18 years old and there is enough demand then someone just needs create a semi-pro farm league with NIL benefits and leave college athletics alone.
The unfortunate thing is at least football has been semi-pro for years and they keep adding games with little to no benefit to the kids…Just think how many kids had their lives ruined bc of bs policies that only benefited them. The NCAA was so egregious they lost a unanimous decision in the Supreme Court- that is unheard of.

I guess we can rest assured that everything we have done to date in response to the NCAA has Burck's Firm guidance.

He seems like the type to "get the party started" and before the party he already set the War Games up for success on the battlefield.

Will not mess around as he will go straight for the juggler out of the gates.

Production of Discovery will kill and expose the NCAA for who they are.
I would go for the trapeze artists or the lion tamers before anyone.

Good grief: everybody take a chill pill. I, for one, applaud the NCAA for wanting to get NIL out of recruiting. I find it interesting that so many people are keen to waste money in bribery wars for prospects with 40 other major programs. It's wrong and dumb on many fronts--even if it proves legally OK to do so. "We must be allowed to shower these 18-year-olds with money!" NIL has been confusing, it was corrupted; I'm sure it will be sorted and we'll likely not get penalized at all. That's my prediction, but everyone in the state of Tennessee wants to react like their hair is on fire.
You applaud the NCAA for blatantly violating federal law???

While I hate that Tennessee is getting picked on by the NCAA; I hate even more what college athletics has turned into post NIL/transfer portal rule changes. So many of these kids today have absolutely no loyalty to the programs or the fans that support them and are looking to jump to the highest bidder every year.

Kids should go to college for an education and the college experience. If they are expecting a multi-million dollar salary at 18 years old and there is enough demand then someone just needs create a semi-pro farm league with NIL benefits and leave college athletics alone.

I agree - but all these young kids see is $$$$ signs flashed in front of them. While education is important to some, like Josh Dobbs, for most it isn't. They have been told since they were little that they were an incredible football player who would make millions in the NFL. Most of them will not.

It is the college connection and traditions that makes the money. It is the loyalty that folks in those areas and the alumni have to the school that bring in dollars as well. There are spin off leagues of the NFL and they do not have the excitement and following that either college or the NFL has.

Do you really think that the "Knoxville Volunteers" Semi-pro team would bring in as much to the Knoxville community as the University of Tennessee Volunteers does? I know I would not be interested at all in a semi-pro team.

Any sensible human has to realize the open “free agency” market isn’t good for teams, schools or, in the long term, even the players. 1) it fails to emphasize the #1 reason an individual goes to college, athletes or non-athletes, education & development. 2) it drains money that long term with financially hurt the programs, 3) no model is sustainable without some form of consistency & commitment from both parties.

Squeezing big time college football down to 30-40 teams isn’t good for the sport long term.

I agree - but all these young kids see is $$$$ signs flashed in front of them. While education is important to some, like Josh Dobbs, for most it isn't. They have been told since they were little that they were an incredible football player who would make millions in the NFL. Most of them will not.

It is the college connection and traditions that makes the money. It is the loyalty that folks in those areas and the alumni have to the school that bring in dollars as well. There are spin off leagues of the NFL and they do not have the excitement and following that either college or the NFL has.

Do you really think that the "Knoxville Volunteers" Semi-pro team would bring in as much to the Knoxville community as the University of Tennessee Volunteers does? I know I would not be interested at all in a semi-pro team.
I think more kids care about a education than you give credit for. Most players love college and college life. Ask and 80 percent or more pro players say it was the best time of their life. Look at all the pro players that migrate back to their alma mater every year. Sure some players want to make money, but most still care about winning and their school. It’s not like the top players in major college haven’t been getting money for years. It cracks me up folks thinking this hasn’t been happening for decades. GBO

Any sensible human has to realize the open “free agency” market isn’t good for teams, schools or, in the long term, even the players. 1) it fails to emphasize the #1 reason an individual goes to college, athletes or non-athletes, education & development. 2) it drains money that long term with financially hurt the programs, 3) no model is sustainable without some form of consistency & commitment from both parties.

Squeezing big time college football down to 30-40 teams isn’t good for the sport long term.
That's why the portal should be policed by the NCAA instead of chasing NIL ghosts. Their last chance at any sort of relevancy going forward is keeping the portal under control as that's the real "wild west" right now.

Reactions: ntxVOL

How, exactly, does it "drain money"?

How, exactly, does it "drain money"?
You think boosters are going to give thousands to NIL in addition to the thousands more for they donalte for facilities, etc.? There is a limit on how much even the largest boosters can provide. ADs are very concerned about the impact on NIL can have on fund raising in the future.

Reactions: onevol74
I’m guessing they were banking on scaring everyone into compliance by going after UT. They probably figured they’d make UT the sacrificial lamb and that UT would fight back, but by the time UT got it through the courts it would be too late. The NCAA clearly wasn’t counting on this preemptive strike.
The university still has not filed anything. UT is sitting in wait in case the NCAA irrationally does something stupid. This is through the state's AG along with Virginia. The NCAA is finding out if they issue a NOA their goose is cooked, because then the university can prove irreparable harm. Heupel and Lampley suits are being used to prove this to get the injunction tomorrow.

Why hire counsel if you haven't committed any infractions?
Why do you blindly trust the NCAA when they showed zero competence in corralling the NIL or transfer portal years ago? They ignorantly went to court instead of consulting with member institutions that employ them. They have shown they can't be trusted, but too many pea brained people blindly support the mob boss that they can't be questioned. Explain to me in detail what infractions UT committed.

VN Store

Back