So nothing is being done to address the fake injuries?

Considering ESPN wanted the problem addressed more than anyone, considering how much these fake cramps lengthen the game and the fact that Commissioner Sankey was the one who brought the formal proposal to the committee to consider, I'm going to say you're wrong in this case.

1. Please post to this thread a link to where "ESPN wanted the problem addressed more than anyone". Not an individual talking head in an article, but E$PN management who influence college football with big, big money. I actually wonder if their management prefers the controversy as it gets them more audience & clicks for their network and advertisers, hence more $'s.

2. Also, I could not find Sankey's formal proposal to the committee nor a link stating he was the one bringing it to them... please get that as it would be meaningful reading for everyone on this thread.

Sankey's $EC coordinator of officials John McDaid recently said “We’ve spent at least four consecutive offseasons collectively thinking about how can the playing rules be modified to combat the feigning of injuries,” McDaid said at SEC Media Days. “And I’ve convinced myself now that if there’s an equitable way and a way that doesn’t overly detract from the game, we would have come up with it by now."

Four years??? That sure looks like the $EC really is not serious about solving it.

My guess is the $EC will get serious about it when Sabin (or some other $EC team misses the playoff & costs $EC $'s) by losing a game to some lower $EC team with a speed up offense... and then the $EC will make a rule penalizing fast pace offenses, thus eliminating the need to fake injuries. Problem solved!

They'll feed off that ol' Jerry Tarkanian comment "The NCAA is so mad at Kentucky, it's going to give Cleveland State two more years probation,"

Go Vols!

Reactions: feathersax
A possible resolution we are going to see is that the no hurry offense is going to be outlawed.

When Mark Richt brought his fast break offense to the SEC from FSU, the SEC quickly ruled against it. That was where he would have the next set of players ready to sub in immediately into a hurry up offense, thus not giving the defense time to also sub in. Previous to Richt, that wasn’t against the rules, it just wasn’t done by other offenses. No one was worried about injuries then, just fairness.

With injuries added in now, it is not unreasonable that the league will install a mandatory delay between plays to allow for substitutions with a ref standing over the ball. I’m not saying it’s right, just saying I wouldn’t doubt that being part of the discussion.

A possible resolution we are going to see is that the no hurry offense is going to be outlawed.

When Mark Richt brought his fast break offense to the SEC from FSU, the SEC quickly ruled against it. That was where he would have the next set of players ready to sub in immediately into a hurry up offense, thus not giving the defense time to also sub in. Previous to Richt, that wasn’t against the rules, it just wasn’t done by other offenses. No one was worried about injuries then, just fairness.

With injuries added in now, it is not unreasonable that the league will install a mandatory delay between plays to allow for substitutions with a ref standing over the ball. I’m not saying it’s right, just saying I wouldn’t doubt that being part of the discussion.

Just to be clear, the SEC does not have the ability to institute a rule like that. It would have to come from this same NCAA football rules committee. Individual conferences cannot make changes to on field playing rules.

Sankey's $EC coordinator of officials John McDaid recently said “We’ve spent at least four consecutive offseasons collectively thinking about how can the playing rules be modified to combat the feigning of injuries,” McDaid said at SEC Media Days. “And I’ve convinced myself now that if there’s an equitable way and a way that doesn’t overly detract from the game, we would have come up with it by now."
FOUR YEARS Mr. McDaid...???? REALLY..??? NO solution possible because YOU and your fellow travelers haven't "come up with it"..???
How in God's name do you collect a pay check with a clear conscience..??

. I said we would be in fast tempo the majority of the time. Do you think we are not going to work on going slow when we know at some point teams will flop? Do you think we are not going to work on certain situations when we get the ball and need to salt the game away by getting first downs to end the game. Or work on short yardage situations? Heupel has said himself he wanted us to be able to adapt to different situations to make us better. I do not understand what I said that you don’t agree with. GBO

Yep, I don't care how fast you want to go, the 4 minute O is a thing for a reason. It's always better to kick the go ahead field goal with the clock expiring than rush down the field, get any score and leave the opponent with 2 minutes on O.

FOUR YEARS Mr. McDaid...???? REALLY..??? NO solution possible because YOU and your fellow travelers haven't "come up with it"..???
How in God's name do you collect a pay check with a clear conscience..??

They have come up with legitimate proposals to address the problem, but they’ve been voted down by the committee as a whole. Some people on the committee are dead set against putting in rules to regulate when a player receives medical attention and if there is any “punishment“ attached to receiving treatment. It sucks, but it is what it is.

I think most people agree that sitting out the rest of a drive would be appropriate for a player that has to receive medical attention and causes a stoppage. What the medical people are afraid of is a kid is actually hurt, but doesn’t want to come off for the rest of the possession or have his team penalized, so he stays in and gets further injured. Then, an enterprising lawyer files suit against the school, the conference and the NCAA because they set up a rule where admitting you were injured has a punitive element. So we are back at square one.

I mean whatta you gonna do have a Ct scan mri X-ray machine on the sideline I hate it too but it seems it would slow the game up even more couple that with the instant replay I wish they could only spend ten seconds on instant replays not ten minutes.

Just to be clear, the SEC does not have the ability to institute a rule like that. It would have to come from this same NCAA football rules committee. Individual conferences cannot make changes to on field playing rules.
Great point.

But also a dagger because they aren’t gonna do anything about this!

Forgive me. I’m playing catch-up as I missed most of the SEC media day coverage. I heard on the radio that essentially nothing is being done to address the fake injuries. Is this true? Is the commissioner seriously ok with watching SEC football turn into soccer? Tell me this isn’t true.

It’s beyond frustrating watching defenses fake injuries to slow Hooker and Co. down.

I figure that you don't watch soccer, but diving and simulation have been dealt with ruthlessly. The refs are flat out ignoring whatever they believe to be fake, and the players are hit with huge fines, handled behind the scenes, with lots of video evidence provided. It hasn't stopped completely, but it is a shadow of what used to be.

I figure that you don't watch soccer, but diving and simulation have been dealt with ruthlessly. The refs are flat out ignoring whatever they believe to be fake, and the players are hit with huge fines, handled behind the scenes, with lots of video evidence provided. It hasn't stopped completely, but it is a shadow of what used to be.
I actually was not aware of that. Haven’t watched in a long time.

Sorry to say, the Saban System is what the SEC and NCAA has adopted regarding fake injures. Maybe if fans stop attending games and TV/streaming watchers stop watching due to delays by zombie players, something will get done. Hit them in the pocketbook is the only answer.

If Saban wanted a fix, there would already be one. Too bad Saban ain't on our side.

Of course, some might think it's insensitive, but, I suggest when an opponent appears to do a fake injury, the band play "Rocky Top".

We need to fake injuries every play against Bama and Georgia this season.

Then act as sarcastic as possible in the press conference after.

“Fake injuries?!? Jimmy how dare you question the integrity of our players. We follow the the rules to a T…”

Agree with this

Reactions: Elhanan
I'm with you on that, I didn't see it that much either. Thought it was pretty fair play for the most part

I agree and the good news is that we don't see Kiffin next year either. I sure hope this remains a "non-issue", because it is ugly and the supposed solutions are even uglier.

VN Store

Back