So nothing is being done to address the fake injuries?

My hope is that Coach Heupel and the staff have made some adjustments to the offensive scheme to allow some flexibility and neutralize this crap. Waiting on the NCAA or the SEC to do anything about it is a fool’s errand.

Not true.
The simple solution is to require all injuries be evaluated by medical prior to return to play. That would slow them down enough to stop the fakes.

That's about the only thing that can be done. I don't think you can penalize the teams for "faking" injuries because the 1st time it's proven an injury wasn't fake and the lawsuits come flying in it will be bad.

Forgive me. I’m playing catch-up as I missed most of the SEC media day coverage. I heard on the radio that essentially nothing is being done to address the fake injuries. Is this true? Is the commissioner seriously ok with watching SEC football turn into soccer? Tell me this isn’t true.

It’s beyond frustrating watching defenses fake injuries to slow Hooker and Co. down.

Or any team for that matter. The only group to like this "act" is the TV advertising departments. I just wonder when they will follow the lead of golf and racing and split screen the broadcasts and run ads and the game at the same time with no sound from the game.

Think ESPN likes us. We have a good audience. They just want the game to last 3 and a half hours so they can get their advertising in. Let’s not be short sighted. It’s their advertising along with CBS that give us those lovely millions each year.
Just a question for you. Are you saying you think ESPN likes us? Have you ever watched one of our games on ESPN or watched sports center? I can't remember when they had anything good to say about us.

We need to fake injuries every play against Bama and Georgia this season.

Then act as sarcastic as possible in the press conference after.

“Fake injuries?!? Jimmy how dare you question the integrity of our players. We follow the the rules to a T…”
That’s what we need: those Bama and uga offensive guys being fully rested in between plays to kill our defense. We might actually want them to try to hurry up and make a mental mistake more than we need to give them more time.

It’s simple. Make the supposed injured player sit out X number of plays
I’ve been saying this for awhile. Although it will probably just cause coaches to have walkons sub on for the near side corner and just fall at the edge of the field so they will probably get around it that way.

That’s what we need: those Bama and uga offensive guys being fully rested in between plays to kill our defense. We might actually want them to try to hurry up and make a mental mistake more than we need to give them more time.

I’d be more concerned about our defense being winded since we’re a quick strike offense.

Anyway the point is to make those games unwatchable and as annoying as possible since no one wants to act and fix the issue.

Reactions: BlinghamptonVol
`
I hope we are fast learners, and if that is the way they want to play, we, when we are an outmanned defense, need to learn to effectively cramp, deal with hangnails on the field and take advantage by sending in whole rested platoons to offset our disadvantages when they exist. Maybe a fully rested second team guy could help on third down stops. Bet it won't take long to get noticed and revisited. My threshold of injury could really be adjusted.

Not true.
The simple solution is to require all injuries be evaluated by medical prior to return to play. That would slow them down enough to stop the fakes.
Agree. Tiered of hearing that the NCAA won’t do anything due to player safety. If they were concerned there would be some sort of mandatory medical evaluation period prior to going back into the game. Same player that went down in the field of play and said he was injured all the sudden decides he is miraculously healed for the next play. Maybe let the opposing teams medical staff evaluate him before returning to game. Player safety first.

As soon as Tennessee plays another team whose main strategy is to run offensive plays as quickly as possible you will see the Tennessee defense faking injuries and you will totally support it. And when that happens you'll be saying well everybody's been doing it to us so it's OK for us to do it now. Turnabout is fair play you will say. It's part of the game and it's part of the strategy just like the hurry up offense is part of the game and part of the strategy.

Reactions: Wireless1
Forgive me. I’m playing catch-up as I missed most of the SEC media day coverage. I heard on the radio that essentially nothing is being done to address the fake injuries. Is this true? Is the commissioner seriously ok with watching SEC football turn into soccer? Tell me this isn’t true.

It’s beyond frustrating watching defenses fake injuries to slow Hooker and Co. down.
If Saban doesn't complain about it then it doesn't get addressed by the SEC

As soon as Tennessee plays another team whose main strategy is to run offensive plays as quickly as possible you will see the Tennessee defense faking injuries and you will totally support it. And when that happens you'll be saying well everybody's been doing it to us so it's OK for us to do it now. Turnabout is fair play you will say. It's part of the game and it's part of the strategy just like the hurry up offense is part of the game and part of the strategy.

There is no rule limiting the number of plays a team runs, how quick they line up, etc.. In fact, there is a play clock to keep the game moving.

However, the rules only allow for 3 timeouts per half. Artificially creating more through faking an injury or cramp is getting around that rule and artificially stopping the game.

In one instance there is operation within the rules, in the other the intent is to actively skirt them.

I don't think it is apples to apples to say both are part of game strategy. JMO.

I sense you tone is negative, of course I'll be all for it if it helps the Big Orange, fan is short for Fanatic
GBO
And yes, I'll boo from section L every time a player goes down.....for the second time

The SEC could easily take care of this without a rule change. Instruct the booth concussion protocol representative to put anyone who's "injured" twice in the same quarter, or if more than two players "injured" on the same drive to put that player into the protocol.

An ESPN journalist recently did a survey from across college football (coaches, players, ADs, etc), looking at what big changes they expect in the next few years. Wrote a long article on what he found. It's pretty good. I'll link it down below.

One part of the article was about what possible rule changes the 200 or so people poll favored and/or expected. The three most popular on-field rule changes mentioned were:
1. Giving replay officials more discretion on whether a player called for targeting should be ejected. (about two-thirds supported this change)
2. Allowing helmet speakers for QBs to ease communication with coaches. (about two-thirds here, too)
3. Making a player whose injury stops the clock sit out for the rest off the series (almost half supported this)

So that's pretty strong support. It will only grow as games continue to be over-long. Hopefully in the next year or so, it will have enough momentum to become a reality.

What is the future of college football? Over 200 coaches, players and administrators respond

Not really. Supposedly the NCAA kicked it back to the conferences to investigate and punish.

The supposed reason for not taking action is that they do not want to discourage players from going down when they are or even might have an injury.

I think the response to that isn't taking the series or a certain number of plays off but requiring at least 5 minutes of actual time for evaluation. They can call time outs or whatever to shorten missed playing time but if a guy goes down then they need to be looked over for more than 30-45 seconds.

VN Store

Back