So nothing is being done to address the fake injuries?

It is so easy to see by the refs in the case of a signal coming from the sideline and a full grown man suddenly falling down and holding his leg. They make it obvious. Now if the play ends and a guy is down thats an easy call as well. At a minimum they should make it more difficult to do, this is too easy.

One of two things will get action on the fake injuries....Saban support or pressure from networks...though if you think about it, ad revenue on UT games is probably higher than others b/c of all the injury time-outs, so I'd not expect action from networks. UT doesn't have the juice yet to impact this decision alone...there's flopping penalties in bball and soccer, and not a stretch for football...they just choose to ignore it.
They are probably scared of seeing heavy criticism due to the extremely physical nature of football and need to protect the players however possible.

We need to fake injuries every play against Bama and Georgia this season.

Then act as sarcastic as possible in the press conference after.

“Fake injuries?!? Jimmy how dare you question the integrity of our players. We follow the the rules to a T…”
Yea that's what I was thinking, Two can play the faking game. Fake injury every play when you're on defense, I mean every stinking snap. About 1 weeks worth of 7 hour games and the fake injury rules will change.

Yea that's what I was thinking, Two can play the faking game. Fake injury every play when you're on defense, I mean every stinking snap. About 1 weeks worth of 7 hour games and the fake injury rules will change.

I still say give each team 3 injury TOs per half. If they use one, that player is out the remainder of the Qtr. Teams with injured player can’t come to sideline during injury TOs but opponents can. If they run out of injury TOs, they use their game TOs. If they run out of both, 5 yd penalty for Delay of game. That would reduce the faking significantly.

Get the NFL to address it and tell the players that faking injuries could affect their chances of making it to the league.
Great idea! Announcers start discussing how much money that player is risking because they will be viewed as soft and injury prone

Reactions: orangetitanfan
We are going to have to deal with it to some extent, we are going to have to improve on offense where we can shift gears when the need arises. We have to become a offense that can move the ball at any tempo. Then we will be complete. GBO!

We are going to have to deal with it to some extent, we are going to have to improve on offense where we can shift gears when the need arises. We have to become a offense that can move the ball at any tempo. Then we will be complete. GBO!
I agree the problem is not going away. Especially when the people in charge are fine looking the other way.

Yes, the players and coaches will have to adapt and adjust. But we as fans can certainly get pissed off and voice our displeasure.

I agree the problem is not going away. Especially when the people in charge are fine looking the other way.

Yes, the players and coaches will have to adapt and adjust. But we as fans can certainly get pissed off and voice our displeasure.
Yep you sure can. But the players have to adjust and not let the slow down get in their heads. Coaches and players I am sure will be working on it. There is also situations late in games where we need to go at a slower tempo. We know we are going to go fast a lot, but having the other dimension to the offense will only make us better. Late in games when a few first downs put the game away. We can always improve. I have confidence that Heupel’s offense will continue to grow in many areas over time. GBO

Reactions: mercuryvol
Yep you sure can. But the players have to adjust and not let the slow down get in their heads. Coaches and players I am sure will be working on it. There is also situations late in games where we need to go at a slower tempo. We know we are going to go fast a lot, but having the other dimension to the offense will only make us better. Late in games when a few first downs put the game away. We can always improve. I have confidence that Heupel’s offense will continue to grow in many areas over time. GBO

That’s the complete opposite on what Heupel wants to do.

That’s the complete opposite on what Heupel wants to do.
. I said we would be in fast tempo the majority of the time. Do you think we are not going to work on going slow when we know at some point teams will flop? Do you think we are not going to work on certain situations when we get the ball and need to salt the game away by getting first downs to end the game. Or work on short yardage situations? Heupel has said himself he wanted us to be able to adapt to different situations to make us better. I do not understand what I said that you don’t agree with. GBO

Reactions: Visiting Dawg
. I said we would be in fast tempo the majority of the time. Do you think we are not going to work on going slow when we know at some point teams will flop? Do you think we are not going to work on certain situations when we get the ball and need to salt the game away by getting first downs to end the game. Or work on short yardage situations? Heupel has said himself he wanted us to be able to adapt to different situations to make us better. I do not understand what I said that you don’t agree with. GBO
I don't think it is in Josh Heupel's DNA to go for 10 yards when he knows he can get 40, or 70.

He may choose to slow down our whistle-to-snap pace in the latter stages of some games...in fact, we saw him do that last year at times...but I don't think you'll ever see him "salt the game away by getting first downs." He'll just go for the TD and challenge the other team to try to do the same. That's his genetic makeup.

His philosophy very much fits General George Washington's adage, "the best defense is a good offense."

Go Vols!

If they are not going to address the problem with the rules as a Coach I would publicly announce we are going to tell our kids to NOT compromise their health in any way or our ability to execute in any way and go down if either is in question. Bet that will get a response. But no one is going to try and assess the validity of an injury on the field so they better legislate how to deal with every clock stopping situation.
Start with subbing only the injured. Then allow the other team one sub to offset an advantage gained with a sub to cover injuries of convenience like going to a dime package by replacing a lb with a DB or the other way subbing a bruiser back for a wr. Then work from there. Frozen participation or such.

The commissioner has nothing to do with it.

The NCAA rules committee, made up of coaches and administrators elected to not change the in-game rules because they were concerned about a couple of elements as it related to player safety. They felt that if a player knew going down and requiring attention from the trainers would remove them from the rest of the drive, players would try to play injured and become further injured. There was great concern from the medical side that penalizing an injury of any type would be bad for the game.

I agree that something needs to be done because the system as it exists is terrible for the game. But the medical people are the reason it didn’t change, not the commissioner or Alabama or anybody else.

In a perfect world with only good people with good intentions, your analysis is sound. Reality, however, whether it is in sports, politics, business, etc., is that committees too often are a "front" and the real power brokers behind the scenes still influence and, all too often, call the shots. If you don't think "the likes of" Commissioner Stinky, Coach Satan, big money and TV don't have undue influence and did not want to solve this issue, then may God help you when Arnold & Danny come to sell you some siding.

I don't think it is in Josh Heupel's DNA to go for 10 yards when he knows he can get 40, or 70.

He may choose to slow down our whistle-to-snap pace in the latter stages of some games...in fact, we saw him do that last year at times...but I don't think you'll ever see him "salt the game away by getting first downs." He'll just go for the TD and challenge the other team to try to do the same. That's his genetic makeup.

His philosophy very much fits General George Washington's adage, "the best defense is a good offense."

Go Vols!
Well he knows he his teams will have to play defense in this league. It is still and always will be LOS league. Facts are Heupel’s offenses run as much as they pass. At times it’s more pass at times it’s more run depending what they give you. If we get the ball up by 5 with 4 minutes left and the team we are playing has one or 2 more timeouts that is when the good teams get first downs. Now you might break it and score. I imagine we may even roll out with option to pass nothing wrong with doing that. But in them type situations you want to make them burn their timeouts and get the first down and never let them have the chance. Your not going to go hurry up and not burn the clock. You don’t have to run 3 straight plays up the middle but your not going to be trying to get a 40 yard play. I love Heupel and the staff, but there is a time to burn as much clock as possible. Our offense can still get better and more diverse. I am not a fan of the shotgun at the 1 4 straight times. Maybe 1 time but we should be able to line up under center and score from inside the 1 with a good o-line. Short yardage is where I expect we will continue to improve. GBO

If we get the ball up by 5 with 4 minutes left and the team we are playing has one or 2 more timeouts that is when the good teams get first downs.

You could be right. That might be the safe choice.

But I don't think Josh Heupel necessarily likes to play safe.

I think he has supreme confidence in his assistant coaches, his scheme, and his players. If we have the ball, I think he wants to get 7 points. Because if we're up by 5 with 4 minutes left, the best plan is to score a TD and XP, putting us up by 12 with 3:30 left. Lol, 3:30. Scoring in just 30 seconds. :)

Because what's the worst thing they can do? Get it back to a 5-point lead (for us) with 1:30 remaining?

And here's the coolest thing about this mindset. We'd like to stop them from scoring and getting it back down to 5 point difference, sure, but if they do, that's just another opportunity for us to score again.

Totally different mindset than you're suggesting. A true "good offense is the best defense" mindset.

Go Vols!

Last edited:
I think Heupel cares about the total team. He knows the importance of a good defense and a good LOS. He runs as much as he throws. I love us being able to score. But your not winning the sec without a good defense as well. Some act like Heupel only cares about scoring and nothing else and that is a terrible injustice. Heupel has played big boy football he knows what all it entails. I don’t care if offense or defense carries us, but in this league you better have both. You better at least be good at both. You do not take either for granted. GBO!!!!

Last edited:
In a perfect world with only good people with good intentions, your analysis is sound. Reality, however, whether it is in sports, politics, business, etc., is that committees too often are a "front" and the real power brokers behind the scenes still influence and, all too often, call the shots. If you don't think "the likes of" Commissioner Stinky, Coach Satan, big money and TV don't have undue influence and did not want to solve this issue, then may God help you when Arnold & Danny come to sell you some siding.

Considering ESPN wanted the problem addressed more than anyone, considering how much these fake cramps lengthen the game and the fact that Commissioner Sankey was the one who brought the formal proposal to the committee to consider, I'm going to say you're wrong in this case.

Make it where player injured has to sit out a set number (3 or 4 maybe or end of drive, whichever comes first)of plays for safety and make rest of team have to stay on the field

NEW RULE: 3 members of the offense are allowed to walk by and kick the flopping defender in the nuts while they are on the ground.

Problem solved.

groinstomp.0.gif

This is how its done!

Reactions: TAF
I think Heupel cares about the total team. He knows the importance of a good defense and a good LOS. He runs as much as he throws. I love us being able to score. But your not winning the sec without a good defense as well. Some act like Heupel only cares about scoring and nothing else and that is a terrible injustice. Heupel has played big boy football he knows what all it entails. I don’t care if offense or defense carries us, but in this league you better have both. You better at least be good at both. You do not take either for granted. GBO!!!!
Oh yeah, I agree. Don't misunderstand me. When I say Heupel follows the truism, "the best defense is a good offense," I don't mean to imply he doesn't want a kick-ass defense, too. He wants both. He needs both.

His whole approach to the game relies on our offense being able to score on their defense MORE RELIABLY than their offense can score on our defense. Put another way: he wants our defense to be able to "break serve" more often than their defense can do to us.

So yeah, didn't mean to imply he's not banging the defense drum just like he does the offense in team preparation.

It's just that he is willing to trade lots and lots of possessions each game, in confidence we'll score more often than they do.

Go Vols!

VN Store

Back