So... about those running backs

We've also settled for field goals on 11/35 trips, and successfully passed for TDs on 10/35 trips compared to 6/35 rushing TDs from the redzone. I just don't think the red zone turnovers are as impactful on our rushing stats as a whole. We just have not been a very good rushing team this year, and much of that is due to the oline still not being effective at opening holes for the runningbacks.

Certainly our rushing attack the first 5 games of the year, save BYU and UTC was pretty poor compared to our most recent 5 games. That probably has a lot to do with those numbers as well. We've also had to play from behind for half the game in every single game aside from MSU, UTC, and BYU. But our OL has consistently gotten better and our rushing stats have improved accordingly.

Could our rushing attack be better? Absolutely. But I don't think it's been much of an issue since MSU. The lackluster numbers at Kentucky were primarily due (at least imo) to playing from behind against a team that controlled the ball for 40 minutes of the game, not because our rushing attack is poor in general.

I completely agree with this statement as I stated earlier, but I think it should be noted that Chandler still averages 5.1 yards per carry. I think he needs more touches. I specifically think that he needs Gray's touches. Gray may become a great player, but it seems to me that he consistently misses the few holes that are there.
Oops.

Eric Gray could be a potential Heisman Trophy candidate before his career is over at Tennessee.
No he’s not. Had a really nice game tonight, but he’s not a bellcow running back. Lotta people gonna go knee jerk and think he’s a Heisman candidate after tonight, but he’s not in the same league as guys like Deandre Swift at Georgia or certainly the great running backs we’ve in the past here like Lewis, Webb, Henry or Garner.

Reactions: marcusluvsvols
Does Gray have talent? Sure, but citing this game against this team as some sort of uber-elite indicator has got the cart in another time zone from the horse. We've got a bit more vetting to do before that talk has any merit.

Still, nice performance young man and welcome to the single game record list.* Hope for much more success in the future.

*For some perspective we're only a week removed from JG putting up the #4 passing game in UT history.

Does Gray have talent? Sure, but citing this game against this team as some sort of uber-elite indicator has got the cart in another time zone from the horse. We've got a bit more vetting to do before that talk has any merit.

Still, nice performance young man and welcome to the single game record list.* Hope for much more success in the future.

*For some perspective we're only a week removed from JG putting up the #4 passing game in UT history.

There are some places that the cart would be in a different time zone then the horse.

But seriously, yeah Gray has a great game and I hope he’s solid next year. No way he’s close to being a heisman candidate at this point though.

VN Store

Back