SI: It’s time for Harrison Bailey

Good read, and I agree Bailey needs to at least see time and definitely start the Arkansas game. However, the argument that Tennessee has offensive weapons is a good one until you get to the WR position. I've heard way too many people who actually know what they are talking about say that the WR play has been lackluster. Outside of Palmer, none of the WRs have shown they can get open consistently. This is a problem. Opposing defenses have been taking Palmer out of the play on obvious passing plays and none of the other receivers have posed much of a threat.

Bad WR play limits the QB and the run game. If our WRs dont show up, it's gonna get ugly for the QB.

When JG debuted, he was turf butter. That guy spent more time getting up off the field and pulling turf out of his face guard than anyone should ever have to do. His O-line could have been better, true, but he maddeningly held onto the ball, assuring that he was going to get hit hard. His time on the turf showed desire, but his time behind center reveals an inconsistency that he isn't growing beyond.

HB can debut behind a more talented O-line, one that will grow as a unit with game time. He should not spend anywhere near as much time spread out on the turf as has JG. Please, let him develop savvy. Let him look off defenders, make intelligent throws, and have greater accuracy. Let him become a better, smarter, more capable QB with every game. Let him be a winner, have the drive to compel the team down the field to score. Pretty please.

If Maurer is available (not injured), seems like he should get the start. HB may be the future of the program, but how much practice has he had? Does he even know the offense?
If HB or BM know to simply throw the ball away when no one is open, then they are already light years ahead of JG.

Last edited:
The article raises a valid point. If we can't run the full offense w/JG or anyone else the QB w/most upside needs to be in there. Get game reps, learn the speed of the game and set ourselves up for a great close to the season. Trial by fire but the right thing to do for the program.

Bama has athletes but this defense has given up a lot of big plays. May not be as scary to start HB as we would have though earlier in the year.

I really don't see our current situation as being any different then when Todd Helton got injured and Peyton had to take over his freshman year. We have no QB right now. Might as well start breaking in the new one. It is a little baptism by fire to start him for the first time against Bama but it is what it is.

Good read, and I agree Bailey needs to at least see time and definitely start the Arkansas game. However, the argument that Tennessee has offensive weapons is a good one until you get to the WR position. I've heard way too many people who actually know what they are talking about say that the WR play has been lackluster. Outside of Palmer, none of the WRs have shown they can get open consistently. This is a problem. Opposing defenses have been taking Palmer out of the play on obvious passing plays and none of the other receivers have posed much of a threat.

Bad WR play limits the QB and the run game. If our WRs dont show up, it's gonna get ugly for the QB.
WR’s look bad when their QB’s worse. Memories of an interview Michael Vick did the season before the dogfighting thing went down. A 10 minute pining for Marvin Harrison and what he could’ve done with that kind of talent. Two seasons go down and what he had available in Atlanta put up big numbers...Roddy White et al. His fans take? They didn’t catch the ball for Mike. 😏

I really don't see our current situation as being any different then when Todd Helton got injured and Peyton had to take over his freshman year. We have no QB right now. Might as well start breaking in the new one. It is a little baptism by fire to start him for the first time against Bama but it is what it is.

Couldn’t agree more. UT played Manning, Clausen, Ainge, Dobbs etc. as young QBs who only got better. If HB is the guy, play him now.

WR’s look bad when their QB’s worse. Memories of an interview Michael Vick did the season before the dogfighting thing went down. A 10 minute pining for Marvin Harrison and what he could’ve done with that kind of talent. Two seasons go down and what he had available in Atlanta put up big numbers...Roddy White et al. His fans take? They didn’t catch the ball for Mike. 😏
Its well know we don't use the middle of the field enough. Why is also pretty well documented. When a DC studies that he can make it pretty tough a WR when he knows where he's not going very often.

VN Store

Back