SI.com article on TN recruiting

abouting having Cut with pryor than with Clawson w/o Pryor.

I'll take Clawson w/o Pryor.

He doesn't have good passing stats for the number 1 QB/prospect in the country.

Soph:

Rushing: 663 yds 10 TD
Passing: 719 yds 6 TD 52.8%

JR:

Rushing: 1,676 yds 29 TD
Passing: 1,732 yds 15 TD 56.4%

SR:

Rushing: 1,899 yds 36 TD
Passing: 1,889 yds 23 TD % not listed

He's a much better runner than passer. He might improve but I would say he won't pass very much at tOSU this year.

I'll take Clawson w/o Pryor.

He doesn't have good passing stats for the number 1 QB/prospect in the country.

Soph:

Rushing: 663 yds 10 TD
Passing: 719 yds 6 TD 52.8%

JR:

Rushing: 1,676 yds 29 TD
Passing: 1,732 yds 15 TD 56.4%

SR:

Rushing: 1,899 yds 36 TD
Passing: 1,889 yds 23 TD % not listed

He's a much better runner than passer. He might improve but I would say he won't pass very much at tOSU this year.

He played in a very soft division so he probably didn't have to pass when he could run circles around them. And there's no telling what kind of players he was throwing to.

exactly he's unproven as a passer. So he could be a huge bust in college because he can't throw.

I wouldn't have minded having Cut back. I don't think his offense is limited to what EA was able to do for most of the season last year.

OTOH, we'd be boiling over with a QB controversy right now if he were still at UT IMO.

Then again, if there'd been no staff changeover, there probably wouldn't have been all those discipline issues in January and UT might have signed not only prior but the DT and OL that went to Clemson.

He din't have the most exciting offense but it was productive.

Take a guess how many combined offensive points we scored in the second halves of Florida, Alabama, South Carolina, Vanderbilt, LSU, and Wisconsin.

10. That's essentially over a span of 3 games.

We only scored more than once in the second half in two SEC games. Vanderbilt and Mississippi State. Coaches were figuring Cutcliffe out in the second half. The only other non-creampuff we managed to score twice upon was Cal (10 points).

kpt, I'd say coaches were figuring UT out last year after watching the first film. It just took a little time for the players and playcalling to fall into a rhythm.

I believe that Ainge's inability due to injury to take the ball down field limited the O to the short game. The short game alone not only doesn't help the run game... it draws DB's up close and allows LB's not to worry about dropping back into coverage.

Without injury, I think UT's O would have been better.

kpt, I'd say coaches were figuring UT out last year after watching the first film. It just took a little time for the players and playcalling to fall into a rhythm.

I believe that Ainge's inability due to injury to take the ball down field limited the O to the short game. The short game alone not only doesn't help the run game... it draws DB's up close and allows LB's not to worry about dropping back into coverage.

Without injury, I think UT's O would have been better.

This is not the first year I've been displeased with Cutcliffe. And Cutcliffe had another QB waiting in the wings, so the injury issue doesn't really sit too well with me.

These last two years pretty much played out like I figured they would. Fulmer's rehiring of Cutcliffe was actually the last straw for me. I don't know what the future will hold with Clawson, but I know what it would have held with Cutcliffe - Outback Bowls.

Take a guess how many combined offensive points we scored in the second halves of Florida, Alabama, South Carolina, Vanderbilt, LSU, and Wisconsin.

10. That's essentially over a span of 3 games.

We only scored more than once in the second half in two SEC games. Vanderbilt and Mississippi State. Coaches were figuring Cutcliffe out in the second half. The only other non-creampuff we managed to score twice upon was Cal (10 points).

I know but averaging almost 33 points a game should allow us to compete with every team we play.

I know but averaging almost 33 points a game should allow us to compete with every team we play.

We were extremely fortunate to defeat South Carolina, Vanderbilt, and Kentucky. We were bent over by two 6-6 teams. We scored 13 points against one of the SEC's crappier defenses. Scoring 48 against Arkansas State doesn't mean you are competitive.

Besides, we averaged 28/game.

In SEC play it was on 25/game.

Wait a minute, I come on this thread to read about our "recruiting surge according to SI" and I find 3 pages of people arguing about an Ohio St player and David Cutcliff?!?!?!?! :ermm:

kptvol, check your numbers. UT's O avg'd 32.5 ppg. They scored 28.6 in conference.

You might also want to look at point production under Cut, under Sanders, then under Cut again. UT usually scored 400+ points per season under Cut which is the single best predictor of a 10 win season for UT under CPF. Point production was high under Cut, dropped off under Sanders, and rose again under Cut.

You may not like the style or whatever. We can all agree that a lack of a dependable running game hurt the team and especially the young defense last year. However, D and not O was the primary problem over the last two years starting with Harrell's injury.

We were extremely fortunate to defeat South Carolina
Yes and no. UT couldn't run and failed to stick with what was working in the first half. OTOH, the primary problem was that UT's D couldn't stop USC in the second half... for no apparent reason.

Vanderbilt,
So was UGA. Vandy isn't always a push over... they're just always Vandy enough to lose.

and Kentucky.
Drops by Taylor, Foster, and Brown made that game closer than it should have been. That is the one game where UT didn't go conservative in the second half. If anyone of those guys had made a catch that they normally made UT would have secured a comfortable 10+ pt win. Taylor's drop on 4th and 3 in particular would have sealed the game in regulation.

kptvol, check your numbers. UT's O avg'd 32.5 ppg. They scored 28.6 in conference.

You might also want to look at point production under Cut, under Sanders, then under Cut again. UT usually scored 400+ points per season under Cut which is the single best predictor of a 10 win season for UT under CPF. Point production was high under Cut, dropped off under Sanders, and rose again under Cut.

You may not like the style or whatever. We can all agree that a lack of a dependable running game hurt the team and especially the young defense last year. However, D and not O was the primary problem over the last two years starting with Harrell's injury.

1. Being better than Randy Sanders does not make you a good coach.

2. My numbers are accurate. Cutcliffe gets no credit for defensive TDs. In total, UT did score 32.5 ppg.

Yes and no. UT couldn't run and failed to stick with what was working in the first half. OTOH, the primary problem was that UT's D couldn't stop USC in the second half... for no apparent reason.

So was UGA. Vandy isn't always a push over... they're just always Vandy enough to lose.

Drops by Taylor, Foster, and Brown made that game closer than it should have been. That is the one game where UT didn't go conservative in the second half. If anyone of those guys had made a catch that they normally made UT would have secured a comfortable 10+ pt win. Taylor's drop on 4th and 3 in particular would have sealed the game in regulation.

Against SC, UT's offense barely put up 300 yards. We put up 3 points in the second half. The defense wasn't the only problem. Our longest drive in the second half was 32 yards. Our total yards for that half: 62.

Yeah. They tried the same thing that worked against UGA but the Ol' Ball Coach was ready.

Probably a function of both UT's offensive limitations, the staff's limitations in gameday coaching/adjustments, and SS's excellence as a gameday coach.

2. My numbers are accurate. Cutcliffe gets no credit for defensive TDs. In total, UT did score 32.5 ppg.

Do you have a source? I just took out the 24 defensive pts I could find and still came up with 30.8.

VN Store

Back