Should schools be eligible for some sort of government bailout?

Welp my wife is faculty at UAB and they’ve been told to document everything regarding their work flow that has been affected by COVID. This will be submitted for stimulus money so apparently there’s a mechanism for schools to recoup losses

Yeah, I’m sure they are teetering on the brink of bankruptcy 😂. They are probably getting prepared to issue pro rated discounts to all the students who paid full tuition through end of semester, but got shorted.
Dang, you got to be kidding, right?
I have heard just about every school is refusing to refund for tuition

Not sure if serious, but let's be real here. No one put a gun to a kids head and forced him to take out school loans. Students and their families went into the agreement with eyes wide open.

I clearly recall sitting in my local bank with my mother doing the paperwork for school loans so I could attend UT. I did the same for my post graduate education. I finally paid off my loans when I was 42. I paid them off. I didn't cry and ask the taxpayers to pay for my decisions.

The govt produces nothing. The govt does not create income or wealth. They make up rules to take it from those who do produce. They're spending this once great country into oblivion. It's time the people of this nation get back to having a real sense of individualism and personal responsibility. Stop blaming everyone else. Stop depending on others....especially the evil that is the federal govt. Do for yourself.

How long did it take you to find a decent job that allowed you to make enough to effectively pay off those loans though.

For that matter, did you or your parents consider things such as attending community college at then transfering. Probably could have saved many thousands of dollars, and possibly picked up an Associates degree in the process.

I got lucky, got the lotto scholarship, a Pell Grant somehow, and went to a cheap community college close to home and ETSU, which was cheaper by far then UT. I was able to graduate from both schools with no loans whatsoever. Biggest issue, I graduated in August of 2008, so I was ready, willing, and able to work, it's just that at the time people where really into putting up going out of business signs. I suspect a lot of kids that graduate or otherwise are ready to enter the workforce in the coming year or so are probably not gonna do very well at finding work. Or find that their degrees are utterly worthless compared to whatever jobs are available

Lmao. They’ve been getting bailouts for years in the form of government student loans that allowed them to jack up exorbitant tuition fees. And the kids and /or parents are the ones paying the “bailouts”.

Plus since the Hope lottery went in they doubled their tuition rates leaving the lottery as a Quasi college fund. Lottery is mostly funded by people living pay check to pay check. It's really sad.

No. Colleges and universities deliberately built in fixed costs (absurd buildings, useless administration, etc.) thanks to enormous government subsidy already. The whole American university bubble needs to detonate and reset.

VN Store

Back