Should schools be eligible for some sort of government bailout?

flying a Liberian flag does not mean the ship has a presence in Liberia. It only means the ship saves millions of dollars in taxes from the country where they are headquartered. Ships that do not touch a foreign port on their trips have to be built in America and fly the American flag. Jones Act!

Reactions: greenbacknative
Considering Mississippi State has this far not offered to prorate and return dorm and food package fees to my freshman son, they have a higher profit margin than ever. They are doing their best, which isn't that good so far, to continue classes online, so I don't begrudge tuition at all.

speaking of bailouts.... how bout those floating petri dishes, the cruise lines, having the balls asking for a US bail out. They're headquartered in Liberia, and other small countries to keep from paying US government taxes. They're worse than dumbocrats with their hand out waiting a gift.

They flag their ships in those countries more for the labor laws than taxes.

Whenever we stop paying highly skilled gym teachers 5-10 million a year, I’ll consider government assistance. Until then, let’s see if lil Nick and his ilk want to take a pay haircut...ya know....for the kids?

Interesting how it takes a pandemic for people to start questioning coach’s salaries

Just saw season tickets this year are over a thousand dollars. Have they ever been that high

Well, take it from somebody born in 1960. Who went to games in Neyland stadium listening to John Ward on my headphone radio instead of boring Bob Kesling. When Rocky Top was played once or twice a quarter, and Woo was not a thing. And well before targeting was invented. If they think I am paying that much to endure all that crap? Forget it.

Interesting how it takes a pandemic for people to start questioning coach’s salaries

I’ve thought they were ridiculous and the product of a distorted market for quite awhile.

A market shock/disruption will often expose these inefficiencies. Like now.

Considering Mississippi State has this far not offered to prorate and return dorm and food package fees to my freshman son, they have a higher profit margin than ever. They are doing their best, which isn't that good so far, to continue classes online, so I don't begrudge tuition at all.
You let your kid go to MSU? How did you fail so miserably as a father?

Reactions: TNnative
You let your kid go to MSU? How did you fail so miserably as a father?

Bitter pill, but I take solace in the fact his mother is an Ole Miss grad. I also take solace in the fact he's still a Vol fan in a big way. Pisses his mother off royally that he wears orange and goes to MSU.

Reality is MSU came after him hard, and he'll graduate with no debt. That wouldn't have been possible at UT.

Lmao. They’ve been getting bailouts for years in the form of government student loans that allowed them to jack up exorbitant tuition fees. And the kids and /or parents are the ones paying the “bailouts”.
Yep, school increase their rates almost 2x a year because of the promised gov student loans. Why wouldnt they soak the students.

I read that $30 billion is slated for schools. How it is distributed and spent is anyone's guess. Nothing for my college kid who can't work because the hookah shop had to close (despite six foot hookah hoses).

Bitter pill, but I take solace in the fact his mother is an Ole Miss grad. I also take solace in the fact he's still a Vol fan in a big way. Pisses his mother off royally that he wears orange and goes to MSU.

Reality is MSU came after him hard, and he'll graduate with no debt. That wouldn't have been possible at UT.

Reality sucks, but you gotta do what you gotta do.

Don;t know why you put FYP in the reply. It ain't my pleasure. Inserting farmers in the post instead of dumbocrats is 2 different things. Farmers, of which my 2 grandfathers and 1 uncle had huge farms and busted their rears to make a living and supply area stores and such, They needed help only when drought, floods, tornadoes, or the economy ruined their crop year. Dumbocrats on the other hand, don't do anything and want everything for free. They wanna pay people to stay at home, free education, medical. Therein lies the difference

Reactions: Big Al Orange
I agree with some others, that as long as the government is supporting student loans, schools can charge basically any amount of money for anything forever.

Reactions: 0nelilreb
Yeah when they bail out student loan debt

Not sure if serious, but let's be real here. No one put a gun to a kids head and forced him to take out school loans. Students and their families went into the agreement with eyes wide open.

I clearly recall sitting in my local bank with my mother doing the paperwork for school loans so I could attend UT. I did the same for my post graduate education. I finally paid off my loans when I was 42. I paid them off. I didn't cry and ask the taxpayers to pay for my decisions.

The govt produces nothing. The govt does not create income or wealth. They make up rules to take it from those who do produce. They're spending this once great country into oblivion. It's time the people of this nation get back to having a real sense of individualism and personal responsibility. Stop blaming everyone else. Stop depending on others....especially the evil that is the federal govt. Do for yourself.

Last edited:
Reactions: Big Al Orange
Next time you bitch about farmers? Do it on an empty stomach.

Don;t know why you put FYP in the reply. It ain't my pleasure. Inserting farmers in the post instead of dumbocrats is 2 different things. Farmers, of which my 2 grandfathers and 1 uncle had huge farms and busted their rears to make a living and supply area stores and such, They needed help only when drought, floods, tornadoes, or the economy ruined their crop year. Dumbocrats on the other hand, don't do anything and want everything for free. They wanna pay people to stay at home, free education, medical. Therein lies the difference

Whatsamatter? Don't like the mirror?

A college education with no debt? You sir have totally redeemed yourself! 😂

VN Store

Back