Shades of Clausen

As a starter, Clausen was 2-1 vs Florida, 0-2 vs UGA, and 3-1 vs Bama.

The bizarre point the OP was trying to make is that football is a team game and no QB wins or loses to a team. 🙄

Thanks...with that 9700 yards passing and 75 tds. I would give my left nut for our QB to have the above record vs our biggest rivals...pretty sure most of us would. He coaches HS ball in California now. As smart as he played, i am surprised he didnt hang on in the NFL as a backup at least. As tough as he was, its weird honestly. It wasnt just mental toughness, either. Despite us having great line play back then, averaging 31 passes a game, i saw him pick himself up from some good licks. Seens like it just pissed him off. Lol

As a starter, Clausen was 2-1 vs Florida, 0-2 vs UGA, and 3-1 vs Bama.

The bizarre point the OP was trying to make is that football is a team game and no QB wins or loses to a team. 🙄

Football is a team sport. Clausen didnt single handidly beat UF. Like I said, the dude had 2 total TDs in 2 games against them in 2001 and 2003. Plese explain how Clausen "beat" UF.

Another way that JG is similar to Clausen is the criticism he gets. A large percentage of UT fans never appreciated Casey while he was at UT. He was constantly critiqued and compared unfavorably to the Peyton Manning Gold Standard of QBs. It was only a decade later after we sucked for several years that people looked back and said "oh yeah ... Casey Clausen was really good."

Similar deal with JG right now. Dude could have an 80% completion rate and throw for 300 yards with 2 TDs and 0 INTs and people will still endlessly complain about him and somehow blame all the problems on the O-line and defense on him. JG has a lot of things to work on still, but if he reaches his potential, I very much believe he could be in the same company as Casey Clausen. I can't say for certain whether he'll make it to that level, but certainly plausible if he continues to improve.

JG hasn’t thrown for 300 yards in a game yet that I can think of. I know he hasn’t won a SEC game so I am not sure about a comparison

Last edited:
Football is a team sport. Clausen didnt single handidly beat UF. Like I said, the dude had 2 total TDs in 2 games against them in 2001 and 2003. Plese explain how Clausen "beat" UF.
No. One. Said. He. Did.

Once again, you are creating the narrative, here.

No. One. Said. He. Did.

Once again, you are creating the narrative, here.

Yes they have said that very thing. People have made the comments like Clausen beat UF twice, Peyton never beat UF. Those statements are just flat out ridiculous. Clausen was a very good QB for us. Trying to compare him to JG is unfair imo. The team talent disparity between the two is gigantic. I wiuld be willing to be that any QB we have ever had would struggle mightily behind our OL.

Yes they have said that very thing. People have made the comments like Clausen beat UF twice, Peyton never beat UF. Those statements are just flat out ridiculous. Clausen was a very good QB for us. Trying to compare him to JG is unfair imo. The team talent disparity between the two is gigantic. I wiuld be willing to be that any QB we have ever had would struggle mightily behind our OL.
Yes, they are simply saying that Clausen was the QB in two of our wins. No more, no less. You are just arguing semantics. No one has claimed that Clausen holds sole responsibility for those wins. That is just a stupid claim to make and the fact you are arguing as if someone explicitly said that makes your argument equally stupid. You are creating a narrative that doesn't exist and defending it tooth and nail against literally, no one.

Reactions: Behr
Yes, they are simply saying that Clausen was the QB in two of our wins. No more, no less. You are just arguing semantics. No one has claimed that Clausen holds sole responsibility for those wins. That is just a stupid claim to make and the fact you are arguing as if someone explicitly said that makes your argument equally stupid. You are creating a narrative that doesn't exist and defending it tooth and nail against literally, no one.

Ok then.

You and only one other person in the sports world would argue this. Lol.

VN Store

Back