Shades of Clausen

Possible. But likely will never fully realize that potential.

I believe he was being sarcastic. JG isnt in the same stratosphere as Shuler. No.21 is the 2nd best QB to ever done the Orange and doesnt get his due because Peyton followed immediately after. If Shuler played on today's game, he'd be considered one of the best college QB's ever. He was ahead of his time.

Uhh, what? Clausen beat Florida...not once, but twice, in fact...and both times came AT the Swamp.

Lol. Wrong. TN beat UF twice in the swamp. And if you want to assign individual awards to who deserves the most credit for those wins (which is dumb), then Clausen doesnt deserve credit for either win. He didnt have a single score in the 4th quarters of either game in 2001 or 2003. Stephens and Davis deserve much more credit. Out of the 8 TDs scored in the 2 games, Clausen accounted for 2.

Reactions: Orange Swagger
Lol. Wrong. TN beat UF twice in the swamp. And if you want to assign individual awards to who deserves the most credit for those wins (which is dumb), then Clausen doesnt deserve credit for either win. He didnt have a single score in the 4th quarters of either game in 2001 or 2003. Stephens and Davis deserve much more credit. Out of the 8 TDs scored in the 2 games, Clausen accounted for 2.
Hmm...if ignoring the simple fact that Clausen was the winning QB in both games fits whatever bizarre narrative you're driving here, then have it. I missed the part of my post where I claimed (apparently) that Casey Clausen, with a herculean effort, single-handedly slayed the mighty Gators...all other teammates be damned.

Casey looked like he was running in molasses but, he's why I wear a number 7 jersey...:D

GO VOLS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Does anyone else see a bit of Casey Clausen in JG? To me ( at least from what I remember I was really young when Casey played) they both have a similar on the field presence and skill set. I really think if JG gets anywhere close to adequate pass protection that he could become one of the better QB's in the conference.

I see Johnny Unitas in J.G. when he throws the short and intermediate passes. I see Vince Young in J.G. when he runs the ball. I see Ryan Leaf in J.G. when he messes up. but I not see Casey Clasusen. Maybe a RIck Clausen...

Yes.

I've actually thought that JG looks most similar to Clausen a few times. Not necessarily saying he'll be as good as Clausen, but JG has the same mental toughness and a similar style. JG has a very strong arm and can throw the deep ball, even though he hasn't been asked to do it much.

The primary difference is that Clausen actually had an O-line, good coaches, and was surrounded by playmakers. That helps a lot. Hoping we get to see JG's potential come out in the next few years, but it really depends on the pieces around him.

Reactions: ursaminotaur
He was known as a true "road warrior".

For some reason he was at his best on the road.

When he walked into a enemy stadium you could almost hear the enemy fans thinking, "OMG, The ice man cometh".

VFL...GBO!!!

Reactions: TN Outlaw
Does anyone else see a bit of Casey Clausen in JG? To me ( at least from what I remember I was really young when Casey played) they both have a similar on the field presence and skill set. I really think if JG gets anywhere close to adequate pass protection that he could become one of the better QB's in the conference.
No, Guarantano has a much better arm than Clausen. Clausen had poise and moxy, but he had below average arm strength and athletic ability. Guarantano has a great arm, and good athletic ability, he has all the tools that Clausen could only dream of having. The only thing that Clausen had that Guarantano doesn’t was elite talent surrounding him on both sides of the ball. Clausen was our Trent Dilfer.

Last edited:
No, Guarantano has a much better arm than Clausen. Clausen had poise and moxy, but he had below average arm strength and athletic ability. Guarantano has a great arm, and good athletic ability, he has all the tools that Clausen could only dream of having. The only thing that Clausen had that Guarantano doesn’t was elite talent surrounding him on both sides of the ball. Clausen was our Trent Dilfer.
Our Trent Dilfer? Some of you guys have a super-selective memory as it relates to Clausen. There is a reason he is #2 in several, if not most significant passing categories in Tennessee history. Part of that was the talent around him, but Joey Matthews and A.J. Suggs had that same talent around them too, and they both flopped as starters, allowing a rag-arm, anchor-bellied freshman to come in and beat Alabama in his first start and not give up the job for three and half more years.

Trent Dilfer? Give me a break.

I actually thought it once last Saturday. All I heard on another board was how great a runner JG was. How quick and fast.

Well Saturday I watched him and thought "He's no faster than Clausen"

I don't know where people are getting this idea that Casey Clausen didn't have a strong arm.

Hail Mary versus Florida
4th & 19 versus Bama
Deep pass vs Florida

Dude completed a hell of a lot of deep passes. The 'didn't have a strong arm' criticism applies more to Rick Clausen than Casey. Rick was pretty efficient at short passes, but could not throw deep. Casey could throw some downfield bombs.

Another way that JG is similar to Clausen is the criticism he gets. A large percentage of UT fans never appreciated Casey while he was at UT. He was constantly critiqued and compared unfavorably to the Peyton Manning Gold Standard of QBs. It was only a decade later after we sucked for several years that people looked back and said "oh yeah ... Casey Clausen was really good."

Similar deal with JG right now. Dude could have an 80% completion rate and throw for 300 yards with 2 TDs and 0 INTs and people will still endlessly complain about him and somehow blame all the problems on the O-line and defense on him. JG has a lot of things to work on still, but if he reaches his potential, I very much believe he could be in the same company as Casey Clausen. I can't say for certain whether he'll make it to that level, but certainly plausible if he continues to improve.

Our Trent Dilfer? Some of you guys have a super-selective memory as it relates to Clausen. There is a reason he is #2 in several, if not most significant passing categories in Tennessee history. Part of that was the talent around him, but Joey Matthews and A.J. Suggs had that same talent around them too, and they both flopped as starters, allowing a rag-arm, anchor-bellied freshman to come in and beat Alabama in his first start and not give up the job for three and half more years.

Trent Dilfer? Give me a break.

The only reason he is number 2 in any passing category is because the was the starter for most of his 4 years on campus. He was an efficient game manager(Trent Dilfer). To put it into perspective Casey Clausen had 6 games out of 45 in which he threw for over 300 yards.
Tyler Bray threw for over 300 yards in 11 out of 28 games for his career. Clausen was a game manager.

Last edited:
Reactions: k-town_king
Both are tough but JG has a long way to go to be compared to Clausen. JG is slowly improving. If he turns out to be that good I’ll be happy! GBO!!

JG is a much, much more talented passer. Casey had a million times the talent around him. He was a great game manager. Great winner. Not our best passer or qb behind Manning. Bray and Dobbs were better qbs. Less talent around them. JG has more talent.

The only reason he is number 2 in any passing category is because the was the starter for most of his 4 years on campus. He was an efficient game manager(Trent Dilfer). To put it into perspective Casey Clausen had 6 games out of 45 in which he threw for over 300 yards.
Tyler Bray threw for over 300 yards in 11 out of 28 games for his career. Clausen was a game manager.
Please...he started for 3.5 years and threw for over 9700 yds and 75 TDs in an era where 3000 yd/30 TD seasons were not the norm. In his 3 full seasons as as a starter, he averaged nearly 2750 yds/20 TDs /8 INTs. That isn’t the definition of a game manager, even in today’s college game, let alone 15+ years ago.

Here’s a piece of trivia for you. Only 1 Tennessee QB has ever thrown for 5 TDs in a game on 3 separate occasions. Here’s a hint, it wasn’t Peyton Manning or Tyler Bray.

Reactions: marcusluvsvols
No. Clausen had a much, much, much better team around him. I think JG has better arm talent than Clausen. But the difference in talent around these guys is not even comparable.

About 70% of SEC QBs have better arm talent than Clausen did. Clausen had great teammates, but he also was a pretty smart QB and that's what made him good.

Please...he started for 3.5 years and threw for over 9700 yds and 75 TDs in an era where 3000 yd/30 TD seasons were not the norm. In his 3 full seasons as as a starter, he averaged nearly 2750 yds/20 TDs /8 INTs. That isn’t the definition of a game manager, even in today’s college game, let alone 15+ years ago.

Here’s a piece of trivia for you. Only 1 Tennessee QB has ever thrown for 5 TDs in a game on 3 separate occasions. Here’s a hint, it wasn’t Peyton Manning or Tyler Bray.

11 tds his JR yr to 7 ints
Career 139.8 qb rating.
5 300yrd games in 45 starts

He was a game manager and great winner.

Reactions: jarnol32
I like JG but nothing about JG is same as Clausen.
I thought that JG would be the Clausen type of QB after his ESPN interview last year about 'running away with the job' and talk to ' win the SEC championship' but on field he doesn't carry that swagger.

My first memory of Casey was when as a freshman against Alabama his helmet was knocked off & he continued to scramble, hitting a receiver then getting decked. Knew no fear.

I mean no disrespect to Manning, but Clausen and Shuler were my favorites.. Loved to watch those guys play..

11 tds his JR yr to 7 ints
Career 139.8 qb rating.
5 300yrd games in 45 starts

He was a game manager and great winner.
Cherry picking the one season he got hurt during the 6 OT game vs Arkansas, missed 3 starts and was never the same. Convenient.

Maybe we should examine his sophomore year...22 TDs to 9 INTs...or his senior year...27 TDs to 9 INTs?

You have a warped perception of the term “game-manager”. Fulmer was never scared to put the game in the hands of Clausen and give him the ball to go out and win the game. You don’t do that with a game manager at QB. You hide your QB’s deficiencies when you have a game manager playing the position. You don’t give them full reign of the offense and let them throw it around the field 31 times/gm (roughly Clausen’s average attempts per game over his career). The guy wasn’t Peyton Manning but he wasn’t Andrew Zow or Brodie Croyle, either.

VN Store

Back