Shades of Clausen

Could you imagine Bray with the teams Clausen had? He would probably have shattered Peytons records.

Could you imagine if Jamaal Lewis had returned for his senior season? Travis Henry would not have been the all time Tn. rushing leader.

Could you imagine if Kiffin had kept Berry at corner and not moved him to safety his senior season? Berry would have set an NCAA record with career interceptions return yards. Not U.T. record by NCAA record..........

Could you imagine if Fulmer had remained our coach? By now, he would have beaten the General's all time winning record..

Cherry picking the one season he got hurt during the 6 OT game vs Arkansas, missed 3 starts and was never the same. Convenient.

Maybe we should examine his sophomore year...22 TDs to 9 INTs...or his senior year...27 TDs to 9 INTs?

You have a warped perception of the term “game-manager”. Fulmer was never scared to put the game in the hands of Clausen and give him the ball to go out and win the game. You don’t do that with a game manager at QB. You hide your QB’s deficiencies when you have a game manager playing the position. You don’t give them full reign of the offense and let them throw it around the field 31 times/gm (roughly Clausen’s average attempts per game over his career). The guy wasn’t Peyton Manning but he wasn’t Andrew Zow or Brodie Croyle, either.
5 300 yard games in 45 starts is a game manager. His rating and ypa were never very high. He threw a ton of short passes that the NFL wrs and rbs made plays with.

He was a great winner. He benefited from the great talent around him. Not the other way around. Some times the qbs elevates the talent around him. Sometimes the talent elevates the qb.

He also had a year with 15 tds. The year he had 27 tds he was only 56.6% with a 134 qb rating. He started a lot of games and threw a lot of passes to a lot of talent so he racked up some stats. He wasn’t the most talented qb though. He was pretty smart with the ball and tough. Played with the most talented teams we have had though. Dobbs would have went to a NC game or two with that talent around him.

5 300 yard games in 45 starts is a game manager. His rating and ypa were never very high. He threw a ton of short passes that the NFL wrs and rbs made plays with.

He was a great winner. He benefited from the great talent around him. Not the other way around. Some times the qbs elevates the talent around him. Sometimes the talent elevates the qb.

He also had a year with 15 tds. The year he had 27 tds he was only 56.6% with a 134 qb rating. He started a lot of games and threw a lot of passes to a lot of talent so he racked up some stats. He wasn’t the most talented qb though. He was pretty smart with the ball and tough. Played with the most talented teams we have had though. Dobbs would have went to a NC game or two with that talent around him.
Come on, man. The season he had 15 TDs (his true freshman season), he only started 6 games. And his SR year, when his QB rating was “only 134.3”, that was still good for 36th nationally, and ahead of guys like Chris Leak, David Greene, Jay Cutler, Luke McCown, Kyle Orton, and Derek Anderson. It was 4th best in the SEC.

And you all keep going back to this “5 career 300 yd passing games” stat. Only 6 QBs in 2003 averaged 300+ passing yds per game. In today’s game, it’s not uncommon, but 15 years ago, the game was very different. Btw, Clausen was 33rd nationally in passing yards per game that season.

By your own admission, he threw a lot of passes. Good coaches don’t allow game managers to throw a lot of passes. You don’t get to 9700 yds and 75 TDs by game managing.

It seems like you are just grasping at faulty stats to support this theory of yours.

Last edited:
Does anyone else see a bit of Casey Clausen in JG? To me ( at least from what I remember I was really young when Casey played) they both have a similar on the field presence and skill set. I really think if JG gets anywhere close to adequate pass protection that he could become one of the better QB's in the conference.

Casey Clausen was the iceman. JG has a long way to go to get to CC's level. JG is tough though and has improved from last year for sure. Dude can play and he is growing up before our eyes. If he continues to improve, we may get to 8 wins this year. He has to be part of the o line improvement by getting the offense in the right calls for what the defense is giving.

;)

Reactions: DiderotsGhost
Edit...my quote didnt work somehow...this was in response to those cla ik mkng Casey never beat UF or UGA...

Thats not possible. He only lost 1 game on the road, started all 4 years. If he went to UGA, UF, and Bama twice each...mathematically he had to beat all 3 at least once, not counting at home. 14 and 1 on the road. Only way that is possible is if he didnt start his freshman year until after we played both UF and UGA, and then both teams swept him in Ktown. That may be true, but indont remember it that way. He was 34 and 10 as a starter..thats 44 games, 11 each year on average. I think he probably beat both teams once at least. My memory isnt the greatest, but the math doesnt seem to fit the " never beat florida or Georgia "
talk...that would be 8 out of the total 10 losses he had in 4 years..and i know he lost to LSU.

Does anyone else see a bit of Casey Clausen in JG? To me ( at least from what I remember I was really young when Casey played) they both have a similar on the field presence and skill set. I really think if JG gets anywhere close to adequate pass protection that he could become one of the better QB's in the conference.
more like Will Mcbride

Edit...my quote didnt work somehow...this was in response to those cla ik mkng Casey never beat UF or UGA...

Thats not possible. He only lost 1 game on the road, started all 4 years. If he went to UGA, UF, and Bama twice each...mathematically he had to beat all 3 at least once, not counting at home. 14 and 1 on the road. Only way that is possible is if he didnt start his freshman year until after we played both UF and UGA, and then both teams swept him in Ktown. That may be true, but indont remember it that way. He was 34 and 10 as a starter..thats 44 games, 11 each year on average. I think he probably beat both teams once at least. My memory isnt the greatest, but the math doesnt seem to fit the " never beat florida or Georgia "
talk...that would be 8 out of the total 10 losses he had in 4 years..and i know he lost to LSU.
As a starter, Clausen was 2-1 vs Florida, 0-2 vs UGA, and 3-1 vs Bama.

The bizarre point the OP was trying to make is that football is a team game and no QB wins or loses to a team. 🙄

wat? Casey was a top 5 QB at UT... JG isn't top anything. No flame... just my thoughts.

Come on, man. The season he had 15 TDs (his true freshman season), he only started 6 games. And his SR year, when his QB rating was “only 134.3”, that was still good for 36th nationally, and ahead of guys like Chris Leak, David Greene, Jay Cutler, Luke McCown, Kyle Orton, and Derek Anderson. It was 4th best in the SEC.

And you all keep going back to this “5 career 300 yd passing games” stat. Only 6 QBs in 2003 averaged 300+ passing yds per game. In today’s game, it’s not uncommon, but 15 years ago, the game was very different. Btw, Clausen was 33rd nationally in passing yards per game that season.

By your own admission, he threw a lot of passes. Good coaches don’t allow game managers to throw a lot of passes. You don’t get to 9700 yds and 75 TDs by game managing.

It seems like you are just grasping at faulty stats to support this theory of yours.
It all depends on perspective. To me a guy with only 5 300 yard games in his CAREER when he started 4 years is a game manager. If there were 6 qbs that averaged over 300 yards per game for a whole season why couldn’t he get more than 5 in 4 seasons? He had 45 games.

He went as the talent around him went. Being fourth best in rating as a SR with all the talent around him is not impressive. The year before only 11 tds to 7 ints in 11 games.

He was a great college qb for us. He wasn’t the “best” player as far as talent. I think plenty of people consider him a game manager. Nothing wrong with that.

Yea sorry they're not close, Casey was a killer and didn't hold on to the ball forever. You could've put 4 all American DB's on D and he wouldn't have cared, he would have still been just as confident. I remember watching him play thinking every pass is probably going to be a catch. I still can't believe he didn't play pro.

Last edited:
Reactions: marcusluvsvols
I mean, they both are/were quarterbacks for the Vols...those are about the only solid similarities of which I'm aware.

It all depends on perspective. To me a guy with only 5 300 yard games in his CAREER when he started 4 years is a game manager. If there were 6 qbs that averaged over 300 yards per game for a whole season why couldn’t he get more than 5 in 4 seasons? He had 45 games.

He went as the talent around him went. Being fourth best in rating as a SR with all the talent around him is not impressive. The year before only 11 tds to 7 ints in 11 games.

He was a great college qb for us. He wasn’t the “best” player as far as talent. I think plenty of people consider him a game manager. Nothing wrong with that.
You keep harping on this mythical 300 yd game “stat” as if it means anything. So what if he only eclipsed that mark 5 times. He also had games of 280, 283, 284, 285, 291, 293, 295, 298 yds. Does 20 (or fewer) yards make those any less impressive because he didn’t meet some arbitrary criteria of 300 yds?

The other fixation you seem to have is on his injury-plagued JR year. Take a look at his game log for that season and you’ll notice a sharp drop-off after the Arkansas game, in which he was injured. It is VERY noticeable. He had 1361 yds, 8 TDs, and 3 INTs in the first 5 games, then was injured and had 936 yds, 3 TDs, 4 INTs in the last 6 games he played. You can’t use his JR year as proof of anything other than to say he played hurt for half the season and his play reflected that.

I’m finished trying to convince you of anything. Go on believing he was a game manager if you want. Literally, nothing points to that being true, but whatever floats your boat.

Clausen was fearless and smart with the ball.He was a favorite but it was comical to me to watch him run,looked like a big grass hopper or something.Love ya Casey!!!

I don't know where people are getting this idea that Casey Clausen didn't have a strong arm.

Hail Mary versus Florida
4th & 19 versus Bama
Deep pass vs Florida

Dude completed a hell of a lot of deep passes. The 'didn't have a strong arm' criticism applies more to Rick Clausen than Casey. Rick was pretty efficient at short passes, but could not throw deep. Casey could throw some downfield bombs.

True, Casey had a pretty good arm, I remember he threw the deep ball accurately and burned a many DB in his time on the hill.
He was the essence of a tough competitor at the QB position and the team saw his toughness and rallied around him.
He played when Tennessee was indeed feared on the gridiron.

Goodness gracious no. Shuler had the chicken-salad making skills of Josh Dobbs with a stronger, more accurate throwing arm.

Indeed, Heath Shuler was my second most favourite Tennessee QB, just behind Manning, Casey Claussen was my 3rd most favourite QB, just ahead of Andy Kelly

Man oh Man that was a great era of Tennessee football and we had John Ward to make it so exciting.
Please Mr Pruitt, bring us back the pride of Tennessee football

Clausen beat Florida twice...in the Swamp! I love that guy!

Reactions: vol-un-tear
I don’t see that comparison. But I think JG is a good QB. They just have a different style.

VN Store

Back