Serious question: how are other players being picked over Vols?

There is no hatred. And he was a very good player. He just wasn't one of the elite football players in the game. he was the only player we had, so his numbers looked good. That's what happens when you use a 1st round pick on Matt Jones as a WR.

Which dovetails to an argument in favor of the OP? How the hell do Reggie Williams and Matt Jones get drafted in the first round as WR?

Because your front office smoked more crack than Matt Jones...

Thank you. It really is that simple. And folks on here look really foolish when they act like they know more than NFL scouts and evaluators.

If anything, it says everything we need to know as to why this program has struggled so mightily over the past decade+ ... we simply are not developing players. And it doesn’t matter if they are 5, 4, or whatever star recruits. Our recent staffs have not been able to turn many of them into NFL draft picks,

To put the first part of what you said into perspective: With every team’s draft history considered, you could find a lot of guys people missed on. So even the “expert” evaluators, the people getting paid to do this, are wrong literally most of the time. So if a blind monkey could throw a dart and be just as successful you’re telling me I have no shot of turning an organization around from my couch with my bag of chips? Lol! But in all seriousness... This by its own nature, invites (I would even say encourages) criticism and speculation by us lay folks. I agree with what said about the state of the program.

Last edited:
Reactions: orangebloodgmc
To put the first part of what you said into perspective: With every team’s draft history considered, you could find a lot of guys people missed on. So even the “expert” evaluators are wrong literally most of the time. This by its own nature, invites (I would even say encourages) criticism and speculation by us lay folks. But I agree with most of what you said.

Certainly not saying they are perfect...but they know way way more than we do.

I’m really happy that Jennings got drafted. I doubt that any player has ever played harder for UT. I hope he does great at SF.

Please allow me to rant for one moment. I have watched a few football games (UT and non-UT) in my lifetime. I would consider myself a casual fan of numerous other teams that have no bearing on UT’s schedule. I just like football plain and simple. Which brings me to my point:

Based on level of success vs competition, it makes no sense whatsoever how a player’s body of work at Ball State, La Tech, Colorado and a myriad of other programs could be considered superior to the SEC. Players like Bituli and JJ should’ve been off the board by yesterday. I am a reasonable fan. I am not referring to every SINGLE case. However can find probably 20 players that have been drafted and I’m like “nah, take that cash and put it in the toilet”. I am not trying to crap on the dreams of others but I seriously don’t understand it.
Why wouldn't any team draft the best players that fill a need for them? It makes zero sense that they do otherwise. It's a business. They couldn't care less who the guy played for, if he is the best available for them.

They also missed on Kyle Phillips and Shy Tuttle and misjudged Alvin Kamara

If were gonna play that game I can name a bigger list of players people thought should get drafted from the Vols that didn't that they were right on?

Think back to our best 90s seasons. We had elite college WRs... How many are going into the NFL HOF?

There is a gap, just like the gap from your favorite high school players to college. Tons of generational high school kids don't make it in college.

That's just how the talent gap goes.

Reactions: 08Vol
62 SEC players were drafted out of a total of 255.

2 of those 62 SEC guys drafted were from THE University of Tennessee.

I am sure a couple will become undrafted free agents. Still, LSU had 14 guys.

It’s just where we are and those old enough remember kinda what that looks like.

College performance does not equal NFL success. So, that's a big thing. You can produce at the college level and not be a highly sought after pro. So, I'll start with that.

But, having said that, a lot of these guys aren't as good as you think they are. There is a lot of what I have referred to as Maurice Jones-Drew Syndrome going on with Tennessee fandom.

When MJD was in Jacksonville, everyone thought he was great. He wasn't great. He was just the best we had.

There is a circle of life that y'all should have recognized by now.

1. Recruiting services underrate Tennessee signees.
2. The media does not select enough people for Preseason All-SEC.
3. Tennessee doesn't win football games.
4. The media doesn't pick many Tennessee players for All-SEC.
5. Draft picks from Tennessee are few.

Look at some of these guys and ask yourself if they would be playing on Tennessee teams of the past.

Bituli was just slow. Slow slow slow. So was UF’s David Reese. Both darn good college LB’s but you can’t play in the NFL if you can’t run.

If a team misses on a 4.4 speed wr that’s on the player, if a team misses on a 4.72 speed wr that falls on the gm and coach. Simple enough. I hope he sticks with a team. He has a chance so that’s all you can ask for in life.

It’s a tough pill to swallow but the reality is simple. JJ and MC were not that good. While we all love them both they are just not real good WRs. Bituli is a decent LB but in the NFL, he may be too slow. He needs to work on his coverage skills. DWA was the same as JJ and MC just not very good.

Yea I’m sure my opinion is subjective but JJ is a big, strong receiver that has strong hands. He is hard to bring down with underrated quickness. His top end isn’t good but his first move at speed is excellent, it creates separation. Lastly, he’s the most competitive player on any field he steps on.

I agree with a lot of what is being said but what if JJ and Callaway had PM throwing them the football instead of QB G and assorted freshman. JJ would be a great slot receiver. Edelman (Pats) is slow and not too big but he has good hands and gains yards after the catch. Very surprised that Callaway did not get drafted.

Jennings is a top 15 WR in this class and is the one UT player I find vastly underrated. The Titans have 3 7th round picks and would love if they got him. Either way Jennings as a 7th rounder seems like a steal to me.

It is a steal, imo jennings went so far in the draft cause he had a bad combine, 40 in 4.7 or something like that. Jennings is faster than that, but that was his time in the trials. I think if given the chance he will do good in nfl.

Reactions: orangebloodgmc
I agree with OP. I feel like our players are constantly underrated as far as the draft is concerned, yet quite often make rosters. Emmanuel mosley, Justin Coleman, Kyle Phillips, Shy Tuttle to name a few. That's just in the last few years. There's several more that are on rosters of some sort, practice or main squad. I firmly believe that Warrior, Callaway, Bituli, and DWA will at least make a practice squad and I think warrior and Callaway could make the main roster. Jennings being drafted in the 7th is just plain silly.

Although it’s been many years ago, I remember a small, slow WR being drafted out of Tulsa by the Oilers that was cut and then signed by upstart Seattle at the urging of their new receivers coach who happened to have been his hc at Tulsa. The kid ended up being inducted into the HOF. Ol’ Steve Largent. Jennings may get his chance, too.

JG should have to do 30 push ups for every WR picked ahead of Callaway. Callaway is a top 90 pick with a warm body at QB.
NFL is a man's league. Callaway is a good receiver but his toughness is going to get tested and I'd be surprised if he makes it. JG didn't have anything to do with him not being picked. Neither Calloway or Jennings were ranked much higher than 25th best WR this year in a deep class. Guys with question marks don't typically get drafted.

Jauan Jennings
Vertical: 29 inches (2nd worst among WRs)
Broad: 119 inches (7th worst among WRs)
40 yard dash: 4.72 (2nd worst among WRs)

Numbers the NFL looks at.

None of which matter that much in an actual football game, except the 40 yard dash (and even then, it's a very apples to oranges comparison). But you're right, scouts obsess over shallow stuff and ignore game footage, which is how they consistently miss great players.

They don't look at route-running.
They don't look at ability to fight off a defender.
They don't look at broken tackles.
They don't look at the ability to run with a defender hanging off of you.
They don't look at side to side speed, which is often more important for a WR, as you'll rarely be running in a perfectly straight line without shifting.

Jauan is pretty much the perfect example of "falling between the cracks" because all the irrelevant stuff they measure happens to be the stuff he's only OK at and the stuff they are bad at measuring is the stuff he's great at.

Jauan Jennings
Vertical: 29 inches (2nd worst among WRs)
Broad: 119 inches (7th worst among WRs)
40 yard dash: 4.72 (2nd worst among WRs)

Numbers the NFL looks at.
NFL puts emphasis on combine results. Overall body of work in college gets a player noticed but a bad combine will cause your draft status to drop. Players peak at 3 levels, high school, college or the pros. Almost impossible to tell if they can excel at the next level.

To put the first part of what you said into perspective: With every team’s draft history considered, you could find a lot of guys people missed on. So even the “expert” evaluators, the people getting paid to do this, are wrong literally most of the time. So if a blind monkey could throw a dart and be just as successful you’re telling me I have no shot of turning an organization around from my couch with my bag of chips? Lol! But in all seriousness... This by its own nature, invites (I would even say encourages) criticism and speculation by us lay folks. I agree with what said about the state of the program.
Why is Cinncinatti , Cleveland & Detroit so bad every year with top draft picks. Ford owns Lions, makes great trucks but can’t build a football team.

College performance does not equal NFL success. So, that's a big thing. You can produce at the college level and not be a highly sought after pro. So, I'll start with that.

But, having said that, a lot of these guys aren't as good as you think they are. There is a lot of what I have referred to as Maurice Jones-Drew Syndrome going on with Tennessee fandom.

When MJD was in Jacksonville, everyone thought he was great. He wasn't great. He was just the best we had.

There is a circle of life that y'all should have recognized by now.

1. Recruiting services underrate Tennessee signees.
2. The media does not select enough people for Preseason All-SEC.
3. Tennessee doesn't win football games.
4. The media doesn't pick many Tennessee players for All-SEC.
5. Draft picks from Tennessee are few.

Look at some of these guys and ask yourself if they would be playing on Tennessee teams of the past.

While I agree, Jauan Jennings is better than a seventh rounder. Time will prove that.

Reactions: feathersax

VN Store

Back