Sensible JG Observations

JG was highly regarded coming out of high school for a reason.

He had at least some decent talent.

His first two seasons he threw for almost 3k yards 16 td’s and 5 int’s. He certainly wasn’t setting the world on fire and at times he was bad; however what he probably needed was development…..and a real system.

He lost his confidence, was shuffled around and forced to play regardless. While I don’t think he would ever have been great (at Tennessee) he “should” have been much more serviceable than he was……..however I believe (just my opinion) much of that was from coaching (or lack there of) and the environment at the time.

The fact that he is being given a chance in the NFL means that he does have, at least, potential. I was hard on him because in any sport played at a high level I expect few mistakes. I do acknowledge the fact that he spent most games on his back and he went through a carousel of OC's and QB coaches. Hard to be consistent in that situation, but my opinion remains the same - he sucked. Sure he was better than your average HS QB, JUCO QB, even NAIA or D3 QB's, but for power 5 D1 he sucked. There were, in my opinion, at least a hundred QB's in college football that performed better that JG in the 27 years he played for UT. I remember thinking constantly, "How does a school like (insert mediocre or below average football program) have such a good QB and UT has this guy?" To be honest, I feel the same way about Milton. You can't play at this high a level and make the mistakes that these guys do repeatedly and be taken seriously.

Best of luck to JG, but he is going to get cut before the season starts. He will not make the roster. Dobbs struggled to make a roster and he was way better than JG.

Which coach? I count about 8 different OC/QB coaches... 3 HC's... at least one consultant (I believe the same one that worked with Dobbs), the Manning QB camp,... so which one of those professional coaches who had success elsewhere was to blame?

Isn't it a lot more reasonable to "blame" no one and just acknowledge that he was lacking some mental talent needed to play QB at a high level?
Pruitt had to see that JG wasn’t getting it done on the field, yet he kept setting us up to lose, instead of making the needed change. The player was not in charge of the decision.

JG was a highly rated/regarded QB that chose to come here instead of other schools. No matter what he is a Vol and I thank him for choosing to play for UT. He came and did his best. It’s so easy to be an amazing QB from our couch… (Yeah I know…holier-than-thou, high horse, yada yada).

Reactions: WoodsmanVol
I joke about him but it was Pruitt that kept sending him out there week after week. I am sure he did his best.
And Pruitt was, actually, right to do so. We saw that very quickly after he was pulled in 2019. JG had to come back just to save us vs UK and then we ran the rest of the schedule.

Then in 2020, which was not so surprisingly his worst season (the correlation between time under Pruitt and success is negative), the offense somehow, some way, actually was worse without him under HB and Maurer.

Pruitt was lucky to even survive 2019 because if JG had been cut after the Bama game, we would have finished with 5 wins that year and Pruitt fired iyam. Fwiw this is not because JG was so great while he was here, but because Pruitt has absolutely zero sense of offense and JG was simply the best he had. This is coming from a HC that openly admitted he would run the wing offense if he could lmao. Every single QB got worse under him and Chaney.

He always had the tools. To many OCs to many play books to prosper. Not gonna lie, kid had me scratchin hell out of my tv......alot. He never had the coaching or consistency. Best of luck to him!

Reactions: WoodsmanVol
These are the things that started JG's downfall IMO
1. If you come in as the #2 dual threat QB & you are just not even a mediocre Dual threat.
2. When you pout on the sideline(National TV vs GT) you better be the real deal when you do get in.
3. When they put up a Jennings cut-out O/W game to react the Dobbs hail mary. JG does a 360 & misses the target worse than all QB's. Showboat better be able to back it up. May have lost the OL & some fans early. I think even he started ? his confidence.
4. When you get run down & sacked 7 times by 270-300 DL's vs USCe.
5. Alabama goal line disaster
6. Throwing more TD's to UK DB's that UK QB to their receivers.
7. He could be a good practice QB in NFL to keep on the Taxi squad to play the role of the next opponent QB maybe just hoping for his best future.

IMO, the main issue with JG was that he had zero mobility. He also had fairly poor pocket presence (presents), but that's a little unfair because he was getting no help from his OL. I definitely don't think you could question his toughness.

Knowing how some folks are narrow-mindedly unforgiving, insist on negative judgments, I dare say, even Vol-hating, here's a more sensible take former Vols' QB, JG.
Reader speaks out on Jarrett Guarantano. Another fears worst for UT Vols secondary | Adams

No one on this forum would be talking about JG right now if you had not posted this. Don't act innocent. You posted this for a reason. You probably didn't get what you were looking for but got what you deserved.

Last edited:
JG was highly regarded coming out of high school for a reason.

He had at least some decent talent.

His first two seasons he threw for almost 3k yards 16 td’s and 5 int’s. He certainly wasn’t setting the world on fire and at times he was bad; however what he probably needed was development…..and a real system.

He lost his confidence, was shuffled around and forced to play regardless. While I don’t think he would ever have been great (at Tennessee) he “should” have been much more serviceable than he was……..however I believe (just my opinion) much of that was from coaching (or lack there of) and the environment at the time.

The coaching was bad but he just doesn't have it.

Let's look at Tyler Bray. As soon as he stepped on the field as a true freshman you could see the 'it' factor and natural swagger that he had. With good coaching and a better system for him and a real defense, Bray could have been a Tennessee legend. Most naturally gifted QB arm wise since Manning and Shuler. Elite pocket presence as well.

JG is no where close to that level of natural talent. Deer in the headlights all the time. Mist of his completions were high percentage short passed and guys coming out of the back ground and some 50/50 jump balls for our best receivers in traffic.

The coaching was bad but he just doesn't have it.

Let's look at Tyler Bray. As soon as he stepped on the field as a true freshman you could see the 'it' factor and natural swagger that he had. With good coaching and a better system for him and a real defense, Bray could have been a Tennessee legend. Most naturally gifted QB arm wise since Manning and Shuler. Elite pocket presence as well.

JG is no where close to that level of natural talent. Deer in the headlights all the time. Mist of his completions were high percentage short passed and guys coming out of the back ground and some 50/50 jump balls for our best receivers in traffic.

Yea

This is kind of why I said “I don’t think he could have ever been great at Tennessee”…….no matter the coaching or system.

I think he “should” have been more “serviceable” than he was. However due to bad system, bad coaching, lack of development and the awful environment (at the time)…….he wasn’t even that.

Yea

This is kind of why I said “I don’t think he could have ever been great at Tennessee”…….no matter the coaching or system.

I think he “should” have been more “serviceable” than he was. However due to bad system, bad coaching, lack of development and the awful environment (at the time)…….he wasn’t even that.
But then he goes to Washington State and found himself third string by the end of the year. And if you read the Washington State board they sounded like us when they described his play.
He really just didn't have it. Bur yeah he could have been serviceable maybe in a better environment.

Then again, the environment had gotten pretty good in 2019 when we started winning all those games down the stretch. That was a relatively healthy time. He had nice games against South Carolina, second half against KY then Mizzou.

But then he has a pedestrian game against UAB, awful game against Candy and was awful against Indiana when USCjr KY and Mizzou were arguably better teams! So even when things would be going well he just couldn't get out of his own way.

I think if he were just a back up that would come in and make some plays sometimes that would've worked out best for him.

If "Hes just not a good quarterback" counts as a negative judgement, I guess I'm guilty. I don't hate him or anything. He's just not a good quarterback.

And you feel the need to stress that? I guess the hate force in strong in you. Me? I wish him the very best.

No one on this forum would be talking about JG right now if you had not posted this. Don't act innocent. You posted this for a reason. You probably didn't get what you were looking for but got what you deserved.

That's false, I posted the article because of the thread about the Cardinals signing JG as a free agent, and the subsequent mocking of some posts about him. Tell the whole truth rather than half of it, because a half a truth is a falsehood. In the case of your accusation here, it isn't even a half-truth, just wholly false.

That's false, I posted the article because of the thread about the Cardinals signing JG as a free agent, and the subsequent mocking of some posts about him. Tell the whole truth rather than half of it, because a half a truth is a falsehood. In the case of your accusation here, it isn't even a half-truth, just wholly false.

You posted this because you knew it would get responses from other posters saying some not so kind things about JG's play and would make your point about "Knowing how some folks are narrow-mindedly unforgiving, insist on negative judgments, I dare say, even Vol-hating" post. The truth is what it is and the posts made on here are free speech posters opinions, like them or not.

Last edited:
You posted this because you knew it would get responses from other posters saying some not so kind things about JG's play and would make your point about "Knowing how some folks are narrow-mindedly unforgiving, insist on negative judgments, I dare say, even Vol-hating" post. The truth is what it is and the posts made on here are free speech posters opinions, like them or not.

If that's what you want to believe, or your pseudo-telepathy, or pseudo-licensed psychology tells you, go ahead. Nobody can stop you. It certainly isn't worth any time-wasting back and forth word wrangling. Proceed.

Last edited:
Clearly, you haven't seen some of the ugly stuff said of JG on this forum. As for why people do that, all I can offer is, humans gonna human. But there's always that few that not only have good sense, but sense enough to use it.

Wasnt jg fault. It was the staff's for not coaching him up and then continuing to leave him out there

VN Store

Back