Senator wants UT, "Tiger High" Memphis to compete annually

SEC??

That ain’t happening unless they build a basketball arena and football stadium on campus, and then they would be a viable option for a conference like the SEC!
I don't think that's the issue.

South Carolina's football, basketball and baseball teams all play at off campus facilities

Reactions: Doberman
I agree with everything you said except for the passionate fan base part.

They are not, and never have been. The Gameday thing was an anomaly. That was a lot of non football fans latching on to an “event”. Something to do, wanting to be part of something, anything since this city has so little to offer without taking your life into your own hands.

They also sold out their game that night, due to all seats being offered at 9.01 (our area code) and when even that wouldn’t work, FedEx bought what left and gave them away for free to any and all takers, in a desperate effort to put on a “show” for the cameras.

A couple of weeks later they drew about 30-35 k for their HOME HOSTED conference championship game. So passionate!!

Their built in fan base is probably maxed at 30 k fans. All hate The Orange more than they like their own Tigers. Thats just facts.
And say 30k is a stretch”I can’t stand Tiger high just because of their fans and that Prick of a basketball coach...:.Piss on Tiger high and piss on the senator!!!

That money would stay in Tennessee for sure if the Vols played another home game instead of home and home with a non power 5 opponent. I get your point though. But, and trust me I speak from direct experience, Memphis has the worst leadership in its local government and any moneys generated would be squandered. I've dealt with them for years at that level and THEY ARE NOT TO BE TRUSTED!
That sir is a good point. I guess my gut was to look out for what was best for Tennessee, but I have no disagreement with your facts. And it's sad.

SEC??

That ain’t happening unless they build a basketball arena and football stadium on campus, and then they would be a viable option for a conference like the SEC!
Would never happen. UT, Ole Miss and Arkansas would blackball them. They don't fit the profile of any school in the SEC.

Reactions: GreveHaller
I would like Memphis to replace Vandy in the SEC East. Vandy football is not doing anything to receive their share of the profits.

Oh for pete's sake. I'm no fan of Vandy but it seems to me that if you're going with that argument it would be Tennessee that should be kicked out. During the last 8 years Vandy won two NCs in baseball and beat us 5 out of 8 in football. They are a legacy program in the SEC. In fact, Neyland was originally hired primarily to end Vandy's dominance of the SEC in football. George Cafego was a client of mine and he considered Vandy our primary rival. His hatted of them ran deep. Besides, the last thing we need to do in help Memphis lock down West Tennessee in recruiting which is what bringing Memphis into the SEC would do.

The headline should read: Having Solved All Other Issues Facing the State of Tennessee, Senator Kelsey Wants University of Tennessee, University of Memphis to Compete Annually.

stupid strong.jpg

Would never happen. UT, Ole Miss and Arkansas would blackball them. They don't fit the profile of any school in the SEC.
Actually back in the late 50's and early 60's Ole Miss tried to get Memphis into the SEC. That gained no traction and they are where they are. Obviously Memphis would offer zero to the SEC. The SEC has the Mid-South viewership completely locked up and does not need any more teams in that area anyways. And, to use a worn out phrase, at the end of the day we all know its about money, money, money and allowing someone like a Memphis would enhance that none.

Reactions: MemphisVol77
I would rather play one FCS team to start out the year as a sort of preseason game and then play Power 5 opponents as our other OOC games. I see no benefit in playing Group of 5 teams and I hate that we already do it. It’s a lose-lose situation for us. When you win everyone says that you played nobody and when you lose it’s the end of the world. If we lose I would rather us go down to Power 5 teams than to teams like we did last year.

Reactions: MemphisVol77
Actually back in the late 50's and early 60's Ole Miss tried to get Memphis into the SEC. That gained no traction and they are where they are. Obviously Memphis would offer zero to the SEC. The SEC has the Mid-South viewership completely locked up and does not need any more teams in that area anyways. And, to use a worn out phrase, at the end of the day we all know its about money, money, money and allowing someone like a Memphis would enhance that none.
That relationship between Ole Miss and Memphis at that time I think is because Johnny Vaught and Spook Murphy were really good friends. Not so anymore. Ole Miss would blackball them for sure. And you are correct. They offer UT or the SEC zilch, nada, zero, nothing.

That relationship between Ole Miss and Memphis at that time I think is because Johnny Vaught and Spook Murphy were really good friends. Not so anymore. Ole Miss would blackball them for sure. And you are correct. They offer UT or the SEC zilch, nada, zero, nothing.
Yes you are exactly correct. They were long time friends and as hard as JV tried to get them in no ones else was biting.

Amazed at the references to "Tiger High" and "Memphis State" as being insulting.

Memphis students have referred to Memphis State and University of Memphis as "Tiger High" for years. It, to them, means nothing more than it being historically a commuter school, which it still is.

As for the "Memphis State" reference, again so what? They've played more than one basketball game this year (and last) with Memphis State jerseys. They seem to wear it proudly.

I disagree with you, believe it or not.

Memphis, believe it or not, would bring a lot of new money. It is 10 times bigger than Knoxville. Not that the average Memphis fan yearns to be in the SEC.

Oh for pete's sake. I'm no fan of Vandy but it seems to me that if you're going with that argument it would be Tennessee that should be kicked out. During the last 8 years Vandy won two NCs in baseball and beat us 5 out of 8 in football. They are a legacy program in the SEC. In fact, Neyland was originally hired primarily to end Vandy's dominance of the SEC in football. George Cafego was a client of mine and he considered Vandy our primary rival. His hatted of them ran deep. Besides, the last thing we need to do in help Memphis lock down West Tennessee in recruiting which is what bringing Memphis into the SEC would do.

If you start using facts to make your point, they'll blackball you from this forum. Don't ask me how I know, just be careful.

Memphis, believe it or not, would bring a lot of new money. It is 10 times bigger than Knoxville. Not that the average Memphis fan yearns to be in the SEC.
And yet they can only muster up 30,000 consistent fans to show up at games even in it’s best years. (Unless they are giving away $5.00 Kroger tickets.) The SEC already owns the Memphis college sports TV market with all the alumni here. Memphis will add nothing to that. Obviously you don’t live around here. The average Memphis fan would sell their soul to the devil to get in the SEC. They just know it will never happen.

Would not. The SEC already has the Memphis TV market. Any new additions to the conference would be from new territory like Oklahoma or North Carolina.

Reactions: RDU VOL#14
Would not. The SEC already has the Memphis TV market. Any new additions to the conference would be from new territory like Oklahoma or North Carolina.
Absolutely. And according to his last sentence, the “ average Memphis fan” would much prefer having a $5 to $8 million TV check from the AAC than $40 million check that an SEC member will get on the new contract. Yep, they wouldn’t want to be anywhere near the SEC. Sounds logical to me.

I would respectively disagree with you as well. Memphis just would not contribute much of anything. I'm sorry they just would not. The SEC market is 100% sown up here. No ifs, ands, or buts about it. In fact, with Ole Miss being just down the road and Miss St just beyond that and Arkansas just across the river and Alabama only a couple hours drive away, and Missouri only and 1 1/2 away and well you get the picture. The Mid-South is SEC country any way its sliced.

Reactions: RDU VOL#14
And yet they can only muster up 30,000 consistent fans to show up at games even in it’s best years. (Unless they are giving away $5.00 Kroger tickets.) The SEC already owns the Memphis college sports TV market with all the alumni here. Memphis will add nothing to that. Obviously you don’t live around here. The average Memphis fan would sell their soul to the devil to get in the SEC. They just know it will never happen.
Exactly...too many other schools (UT, Vandy, Ole Miss, MSST) would not vote for them to be in the SEC. Why would anyone want 3 SEC schools in a single state?

Exactly...too many other schools (UT, Vandy, Ole Miss, MSST) would not vote for them to be in the SEC. Why would anyone want 3 SEC schools in a single state?
Someone might know better than me but I believe it has to be a unanimous vote to add a school and that dang sure ain’t happening for Memphis.

VN Store

Back