Senator wants UT, "Tiger High" Memphis to compete annually

We only have 12 games on the schedule. Playing Memphis every year would be a waste of a whole game every year.

The only good that could come from this would be another home game when we played in Memphis. We should make them play us at neutral site because their stadium is out of date. Maybe at Dudley in Nashville.
I wouldn’t mind playing our spring game against them, but putting them on our schedule is a waste. It would give them a huge game to lose every year, considering they played no big games this year.

Do you live in Memphis, surrounded by Memphis fans? Obviously not.
They even hate the natural color of their mascot because of us. Often times they change the color of their tiger from Orange and black to gray and blue due to how much they hate the color Orange because of how they lose so many sporting events to the Vols.

Reactions: Doberman
(1) If Memphis took Vandy's place in the SEC, they would BE the new Vandy. They've seen nice success lately as a Group of 5 school, sure, but in the Power 5, particularly in the SEC, they'd be winning 4 to 6 games a year.

(2) It is telling that the state lawmaker who pushes this agenda is from the Memphis area. Fact is, an annual meeting of our two programs would help Memphis out a lot while taking away options for the Vols.

Everyone making fun of Memphis but didn't they go to a better bowl game than us last season? Hell in the last 5 years I'm pretty sure they have been better than us too.

No sir. Not even close. Even in our worst year, and we've had a couple of those lately, we're a stronger program than Memphis. Could they beat us once? Sure, things happen occasionally. But don't be blinded by the group of 5 teams who win their conferences; they're still only playing one or two games a year that match up to the level of competition SEC teams see most weeks.

No, I'm all for playing Memphis in football from time to time (and Basketball perhaps more frequently), but nowhere close to annually.

Go Vols!

(1) If Memphis took Vandy's place in the SEC, they would BE the new Vandy. They've seen nice success lately as a Group of 5 school, sure, but in the Power 5, particularly in the SEC, they'd be winning 4 to 6 games a year.

(2) It is telling that the state lawmaker who pushes this agenda is from the Memphis area. Fact is, an annual meeting of our two programs would help Memphis out a lot while taking away options for the Vols.

No sir. Not even close. Even in our worst year, and we've had a couple of those lately, we're a stronger program than Memphis. Could they beat us once? Sure, things happen occasionally. But don't be blinded by the group of 5 teams who win their conferences; they're still only playing one or two games a year that match up to the level of competition SEC teams see most weeks.

No, I'm all for playing Memphis in football from time to time (and Basketball perhaps more frequently), but nowhere close to annually.

Go Vols!
Hope Barnes cancels the basketball series too.

Why would you ever want to give them the clout of being a member of the SEC?

Asking Memphis State to join the SEC would be the equivalent of the rich family in town bringing in the little kid from the wrong side of the tracks that has a pissy attitude and a long rap sheet because they felt bad for him.

There are times when being a humane human instead of a snotty stuck up human is a better deal.

220px-Blind_side_poster.jpg

What do we gain from UAB or Ga St games?

There it is. The anti-Memphis thing is more about East Tennessee bigotry towards West Tennesseans than the value of playing Memphis. And scheduling the likes of Georgia State and University of Alabama Birmingham while badmouthing Memphis just exposes that. Like most, I'd never want UM in the SEC, simply because they don't belong in it and never will. But shamelessly want every Tennessee school to be so good any out-of-state school would be terrified of playing a TN school. I'm a Vols fan first a Tennesseean second, and there's no third option for me, far as I'm concerned. As for Memphis fans hating UT, who can blame them for all the scorn heaped on them for years by East Tennesseeans?

Last edited:
If Michael Oher weren’t from Memphis you would never have said that.

Yes, I would because though my post is Memphis tainted, it's far less about Memphis than it is about snotty self-righteous and arrogantly judgmental people. Whoever the "hail" they may be.

Reactions: TNfan#2
Yes, I would because though my post is Memphis tainted, it's far less about Memphis than it is about snotty self-righteous and arrogantly judgmental people. Whoever the "hail" they may be.
Well my attitude towards Memphis is because Memphis and their fan base, with their massive Shelby county sized chip on their shoulder don’t deserve to be rewarded by having the privilege of being a member of The Southeastern Conference. Did you see Gameday when it was in Memphis this past season? They are a very passionate fan base, I’ll give them that. They are also a very passionate fan base that mostly hates Tennessee and would do anything to screw us. They almost hate Tennessee more than they like Memphis State. I’m sorry if my attitude towards Memphis offends you, but it isn’t because I dislike Memphis just because . It’s because they hate Tennessee and their perpetual snarky routine gets old.

Plus lost in this entire stupid hypothetical that they would be an SEC member is that they would add exactly nothing to the conference. And adding eyeballs to the tv screen is what it’s all about anyways.

Calling people bigoted seems judgemental and self righteous to me.

Maybe you should remember an adage: As in water face reflects face, So a man’s heart reveals the man. Or that when pointing fingers at the other, three point to ourselves

Well my attitude towards Memphis is because Memphis and their fan base, with their massive Shelby county sized chip on their shoulder don’t deserve to be rewarded by having the privilege of being a member of The Southeastern Conference. Did you see Gameday when it was in Memphis this past season? They are a very passionate fan base, I’ll give them that. They are also a very passionate fan base that mostly hates Tennessee and would do anything to screw us. They almost hate Tennessee more than they like Memphis State. I’m sorry if my attitude towards Memphis offends you, but it isn’t because I dislike Memphis just because . It’s because they hate Tennessee and their perpetual snarky routine gets old.

Plus lost in this entire stupid hypothetical that they would be an SEC member is that they would add exactly nothing to the conference. And adding eyeballs to the tv screen is what it’s all about anyways.

I agree with everything you said except for the passionate fan base part.

They are not, and never have been. The Gameday thing was an anomaly. That was a lot of non football fans latching on to an “event”. Something to do, wanting to be part of something, anything since this city has so little to offer without taking your life into your own hands.

They also sold out their game that night, due to all seats being offered at 9.01 (our area code) and when even that wouldn’t work, FedEx bought what left and gave them away for free to any and all takers, in a desperate effort to put on a “show” for the cameras.

A couple of weeks later they drew about 30-35 k for their HOME HOSTED conference championship game. So passionate!!

Their built in fan base is probably maxed at 30 k fans. All hate The Orange more than they like their own Tigers. Thats just facts.

Couldn’t agree more RDU. I’m judging their fan base on 43 years of observation from living in their midst. If that makes me judgmental, so be it. And you are correct. The incessant whining about UT and the SEC is just a tired act and I see no reason to play them and have to put up with more of it.

Play them once every five years in Neyland.

I'd much rather see Tennessee do a 10 year series with alternating home games against Arizona State or Washington.

Just a comment... I think we have opinions coming from totally different angles and neither one applies to the other IMO. OBVIOUSLY the University of Memphis plays on a different stage than we do. Some of my closest friends played at Memphis and three actually played in the NFL. My own daughter served on Coach McNeils staff with Memphis. One current staff member on the basketball team is a life long friend and has spent countless hours at my house (his father and I have attended dozens of Vols games over the years together). We have had this discussion several times and EVEN THEY KNOW the stage is different. If one cant see that simple point then this conversation will be contentious and silly. I'm now and have been most of my life a massive Vols fan. I see zero to gain for the Vols of playing Memphis IN ANY SPORT! Of course IF I'm a Memphis fan I want to play the Vols but I think we here want what's best for the Vols. Things are just different for the two programs. And I doubt that will change in my lifetime.

Reactions: VFL-82-JP and AM64
I have a much different take than many on this string. I'd say, "Hell yes". All the money from Tennessee going to out-of-state programs-when it could be staying within Tennessee isn't good. As most seem to believe Memphis can't really play ball-it would be almost an automatic win-every year. Remember, those automatic (powder-puff games) wins get you bowl games. More money in the pockets of the people of Tennessee and an automatic win, sounds good to me.

Not a good deal for Tennessee. Now that we are trending up and Memphis is trending down, we do not need to be playing a potentially weak Memphis team, that could possibly jeopardize our chances for making the play-offs in the future.

And yes, I do believe we will be back in years to come.

I have a much different take than many on this string. I'd say, "Hell yes". All the money from Tennessee going to out-of-state programs-when it could be staying within Tennessee isn't good. As most seem to believe Memphis can't really play ball-it would be almost an automatic win-every year. Remember, those automatic (powder-puff games) wins get you bowl games. More money in the pockets of the people of Tennessee and an automatic win, sounds good to me.
That money would stay in Tennessee for sure if the Vols played another home game instead of home and home with a non power 5 opponent. I get your point though. But, and trust me I speak from direct experience, Memphis has the worst leadership in its local government and any moneys generated would be squandered. I've dealt with them for years at that level and THEY ARE NOT TO BE TRUSTED!

Tell them to join the SEC and he will get his wish.......

SEC??

That ain’t happening unless they build a basketball arena and football stadium on campus, and then they would be a viable option for a conference like the SEC!

SEC??

That ain’t happening unless they build a basketball arena and football stadium on campus, and then they would be a viable option for a conference like the SEC!
Kinda been addressed already and I should have used BLUE FONT but this is much to do about nothing thread....They will not be building any facilities in Memphis for the school. Reason(s) Can't afford it, can't insure it, and it sits on an Active Fault Line. (New Madrid) which could go at any time...

VN Store

Back