SEC refs

So let me get this straight, you think someone is going to risk their job because of an allegiance to Alabama and the fact that Kiffin once coached for Alabama and we beat him back in the 90's. Come on, give me a break. Utterly ridiculous. Is there a problem with officiating, of course, but it's not because of homers.
Its a fact that refs have certain biases, sports bettors are known to look at crews, which conference they came from, past games, etc. to see if they can get an advantage.

It's also a fact that pro and collegiate sports have corrupt officials. Not sure why this is so hard for some of you to believe. Ignorance is bliss.

Reactions: Bigorangedan23
My point is just because someone is an alum of Florida, Auburn or Alabama doesn’t mean they automatically don’t like Tennessee as you suggested.

Well first, one is not just an alum, he is a former player.

Second, chances are they went to school rooting against Tennessee as a student…actually it’s all but guaranteed.

Are they intentionally biased? I don’t know for sure and neither does anyone else. Is there a subconscious bias there? I would bet yes.

Do they automatically hate Tennessee? I don’t know. But in a neutral environment where they aren’t officiating and watching as a fan you can bet they will be rooting for their team. That is a bad look, and combine with the ridiculous calls that continually cost Tennessee games the outrage is justified.

also, I live in Bama and this week is annually known as Tennessee hate week. It’s real with Bama and they still want to crucify Fulmer for beating them.

It’s a safe assumption the majority of Bama fans have real hate for Tennessee.

Reactions: orangebloodgmc
So let me get this straight, you think someone is going to risk their job because of an allegiance to Alabama and the fact that Kiffin once coached for Alabama and we beat him back in the 90's. Come on, give me a break. Utterly ridiculous. Is there a problem with officiating, of course, but it's not because of homers.

My theory is that the SEC is so competitive that the leadership feels that if they don't protect a few of the perceived best teams in the conference they will beat each other up to the point they play themselves out of the big money games. Thats the financial motive I believe they use to justify to the officiating crews to make sure the calls lean heavily against the team that will probably not make it to the most lucrative bowl games.

It's all laughable until UF gets ****ed. I cant wait.

If you haven’t noticed lately, UF doesn’t need refs to screw us out of a game.

Todd Grantham is our defensive coordinator.

And yes, the referee conspiracy theories against Tennessee is all laughable. There’s enough evidence on tape every Saturday to conclude SEC refs also suck in games that don’t involve Tennessee.

Tennessee alums aren't allowed to ref Tennessee games. Just like Brent Sowell would have to be replaced if the Curles crew got assigned a Bama game.

Wish they wouldn't have allowed this guy to officiate our game in 2019. He stopped play in the red zone when we were in our wildcat package and about to score. It allowed Bama to get set, because he needed to "confirm the game time on the field" or some nonsense. Guy is a lifelong Bama fan.

Capture.png

Here is his brother-in-law in the picture above:

Capture.png

Reactions: 67Vol
also, I live in Bama and this week is annually known as Tennessee hate week. It’s real with Bama and they still want to crucify Fulmer for beating them.

It’s a safe assumption the majority of Bama fans have real hate for Tennessee.

Perhaps, but not as nearly as much as you guys hate Alabama. It’s not close.

Look at it this way…if Tennessee had won seven national championships since a coach from a rival school turned you guys in to the NCAA, and UT had a current 14-game win streak against that same school, how much do you think UT’s fan base would care about what happened nearly two decades ago?

Perhaps, but not as nearly as much as you guys hate Alabama. It’s not close.

Look at it this way…if Tennessee had won seven national championships since a coach from a rival school turned them in to the NCAA, and had a current 14-game win streak against that same school, how much do you think the fan base would care about what happened nearly two decades ago?

This is naive to the fullest. You should see my facebook feed. The hate is very much still alive and very much real, at least from almost every Bama fan I interact with.

There is no "perhaps" about it. We are in the middle of "Tennessee Hate Week" and it happens every year.

Officiating should not be a part time job. They should be paid well, full time with benefits. During the off season, they should be going through continuous training. They should live where they want and be flown in for games from outside the region. The same for the NFL. These institutions make enough money to make it happen. There is too much riding on these games to give way to human error. Human error should be reduced as much as possible.

Also, I feel like as a society we have enough technological advancements to develop a way to more accurately spot the ball and determine if a ball crosses the plain of the end zone. Maybe a giant pad under the grass that detects sensors woven into the outside of the ball. Also, the 360 camera thing they did in the NFL was cool, why not for replay? I think I recall they synced multiple cameras to see where the ball was when contact was made to the ground a couple of years ago. I don't see that anymore.

...and while I'm ranting, you mean to tell me there was not one camera on the Ole Miss side of the field that had a shot of Warren when he went down? BS.

This is naive to the fullest. You should see my facebook feed. The hate is very much still alive and very much real, at least from almost every Bama fan I interact with.

There is no "perhaps" about it. We are in the middle of "Tennessee Hate Week" and it happens every year.

You’re just as naive in thinking your Facebook feed is somehow equivalent to an official’s biases towards a particular school whose game he’s calling on any given Saturday.

It’s plain as day you’re projecting your own biases but you can’t see it.

Maybe SEC refs suck just because they suck, not because they have it out for Tennessee.

Last edited:
Reactions: bamawriter
Probably never, but my point is I don't believe they are making bad calls because they are a homer. I think they are becoming too reliant on instant reply to bail them out. Then the replay isn't conclusive. I don't know what the problem is - but I'm confident it's not because they have an allegiance to a school or an extreme dislike for a school.

I have a bridge to sell you.
I don't think being a homer or a bribe taker is prevalent, but with that many officials over the years, corruption in recruiting, travel teams, the big money in winning, the big money boosters, influence of gambling on college sports, need I go on? And people think there isn't the potential for crap happening?
I'm not saying it was in this recent game, I am saying I can't say it's not in "the college game"

Watching some of the things they let happen in that game makes it seem more plausible than it should be. Hell if I was ref I’d screw Alabama

I am amazed with all the technology in the world they can not put a microchip in the football to determine forward progression. Seriously, would it even be that hard to do? Instead of some out of shape line judge running over from 40 yards away it could be very precise.

I've thought that for years. But chips in the footballs and have the chains laser-synced and when the ball with the chip crosses the line to gain (laser signal goes off) you know it's a 1st down. Granted you have to determine where the knee touched but you would at least know where the ball was.

Reactions: 67Vol and HooahVol
It is $800 to $3k a game.
You should look through a few more articles instead of the very first thing that comes up in a google search. SEC officials that have any decent amount of experience make significantly more than that. I know someone who is a former SEC official and he did quite well officiating.

Officiating crew for Tennessee / Ole Miss game:

Referee – Marc Curles – Georgia Tech

Umpire – Brent Sowell – Alabama – played DT 1982-1985 on Bryant's last team

Linesman – Stephen Ray – Texas A&M alum

Line Judge – Chris Conway – Auburn alum, works in Montgomery

Back Judge – Matt Hollifield – Carson Newman

Field Judge – Wes Booker – Not sure

Side Judge – Eduardo Balbis – University of Florida

Center Judge - Chris Garner – The Ohio State University

A lot of alumnus on there from schools/fans that don't particularly like Tennessee.
Looks suspicious to me. Refs need to be outside of the southeast. Period!

Reactions: dlravol2
You’re just as naive in thinking your Facebook feed is somehow equivalent to an official’s biases towards a particular school whose game he’s calling any given Saturday.

It’s plain as day you’re projecting your own biases but you can’t see it.

Maybe SEC refs suck just because they suck, not because they have it out for Tennessee.

It’s amazing how the game changing calls never seem to go against certain teams at the same rate the do against others.

Do you really think something wasn’t rotten in the Bama/MSU game or Bama/Tenn game in 2019. It was egregious, especially the MSU game.

Reactions: Volizona
I have a bridge to sell you.
I don't think being a homer or a bribe taker is prevalent, but with that many officials over the years, corruption in recruiting, travel teams, the big money in winning, the big money boosters, influence of gambling on college sports, need I go on? And people think there isn't the potential for crap happening?
I'm not saying it was in this recent game, I am saying I can't say it's not in "the college game"
I never said it doesn't or hasn't happened, but the OP suggested that every SEC ref is corrupt and biased and simply isn't true.

Reactions: I4Vols
Its a fact that refs have certain biases, sports bettors are known to look at crews, which conference they came from, past games, etc. to see if they can get an advantage.

It's also a fact that pro and collegiate sports have corrupt officials. Not sure why this is so hard for some of you to believe. Ignorance is bliss.
Don't disagree that their are biases - but I don't believe the SEC officials are all corrupt and homers as the OP indicated.

It’s amazing how the game changing calls never seem to go against certain teams at the same rate the do against others.

Do you really think something wasn’t rotten in the Bama/MSU game or Bama/Tenn game in 2019. It was egregious, especially the MSU game.

Yes, if you read my previous post I stated I think SEC refs stink across the board.

There’s a competency issue in my opinion. I’ll leave the conspiracy theories to you guys.

Reactions: a vol n tears

VN Store

Back