SEC Records since expansion

I remember gatahater from Gridscape!
There's a quote contributed by me (gatahata) from the early to mid 2000's somewhere on Gridscape that says "These are the good old days." Our fanbase in 2008 had seen 20 years of winning football. They were spoiled and the 30 somethings and younger didn't really remember any really bad times that lasted more than a year before the Vols were right back in a bowl.

However it worked out, we got a belly full of Karma I guess.

Reactions: ksgovols
They didn’t panic imo. They were lying in wait, waiting for the opportunity to fire Fulmer at the earliest opportunity. Couldn’t do it in 2007 when he won 10 games and the East.....were salivating in 2008 when the season started poorly and fired him, disgracefully, mid season.
Just like at UGA and LSU...except they hired coaches that, in worst case, kept them at same level of upper tier football, which didn't allow for year over year fall off in talent. Kiffin signed good class that couldn't stay out of trouble. Others bounced when Dooley hired...DD didn't recruit...CBJ recruited ok but couldn't keep players from defecting, coach or develop...so, here we are.

This won't be a stellar year, but will be better than the last few...

Reactions: VolsGrad1989
Agree. Since 2012 encompasses all of Muschamp and McElwain and was the worst stretch of UF football since the 70’s. And still, 4th on this list.
How many SECs and Nattys do you have during that span? Exactly. Don’t even matter how average you were. Without rings, you might as well be us. Y’all were world beaters back when you had the murderers, rapists, and such

I can’t wait until you all stop posting garbage threads. Turns out no one forgot we’ve sucked for a long time. We get it.

Jesus.

Reactions: jakez4ut
Kudos to MissSt for being in the SecWest and still being 28-28. Of course their crossover game every year is with KY.

Tennessee's record vs:

AL: 0-7
GA: 2-5
LSU: 0-1
FL: 1-6
aTm: 0-1
AU: 1-1
SCAR: 3-4
MissSt: 0-1
Mizzzou: 2-5
Ole Miss: 0-1
Vandy: 2-5
KY: 6-1
Arky: 0-1

We dominated KY but they have been really good against SCAR, and Mizzou.
Mizzou and Vandy have owned us more than Georgia even though the record is the same, we had mostly close games with Georgia, sans the last two.

Games we should have won: aTm, Arky, 1 Georgia, 2+ Florida, 1 SCAR, 1 Vandy, 2 Mizzou.
Games we should have lost: 2016 Georgia
Conclusion: coaching really handicapped us.

th

Reactions: jakez4ut
I have to admit that I admire the dedication many of you have to trying to polish the turd that was the decision to fire Fulmer.

The facts are that Fulmer was 67-33 without Cutcliffe, that's a .670 winning percentage. Our program's all time winning percentage is .674, so basically, Fulmer "without Cutcliffe" was right in line with our historical average.

Since firing Fulmer we are of course, 62-63 for a .496 winning percentage, and 30 games below .500 in conference play. Those numbers speak for themselves.

Fulmer with Cutcliffe----and Fulmer sans Cutcliffe..... that's how you have to look at it to get the picture.

Having said that---I will be man enough to admit that I was WRONG for wanting Fulmer fired all those years ago.

I don't believe that he could have possibly done WORSE than the 3 stooges we hired before CJP.

Tennessee's record vs:

AL: 0-7
GA: 2-5
LSU: 0-1
FL: 1-6
aTm: 0-1
AU: 1-1
SCAR: 3-4
MissSt: 0-1
Mizzzou: 2-5
Ole Miss: 0-1
Vandy: 2-5
KY: 6-1
Arky: 0-1

We dominated KY but they have been really good against SCAR, and Mizzou.
Mizzou and Vandy have owned us more than Georgia even though the record is the same, we had mostly close games with Georgia, sans the last two.

Games we should have won: aTm, Arky, 1 Georgia, 2+ Florida, 1 SCAR, 1 Vandy, 2 Mizzou.
Games we should have lost: 2016 Georgia
Conclusion: coaching really handicapped us.
Juan disagrees...UGA did have their forgettable hail mary too.
1562036165904.jpeg

I have to admit that I admire the dedication many of you have to trying to polish the turd that was the decision to fire Fulmer.

The facts are that Fulmer was 67-33 without Cutcliffe, that's a .670 winning percentage. Our program's all time winning percentage is .674, so basically, Fulmer "without Cutcliffe" was right in line with our historical average.

Since firing Fulmer we are of course, 62-63 for a .496 winning percentage, and 30 games below .500 in conference play. Those numbers speak for themselves.

We’ve done badly because we hired incredibly badly. Fulmer was finished. End of story.

If you thought things were gonna be better by getting rid of Fulmer, Cutcliffe and Chavis after their success then you don't know sports. Our fringe lunatic fans think you can just snap your fingers and be better, doesn't work that way. Lots of sensible fans predicted exactly what would happen when our fringe NegaVols ran that staff out of town and it really wasn't that hard of a prediction to make!

Mike Hamilton sabatoged UT, period! If he had the donors in his back pocket instead of Fulmer having most of them, UT spends the money and gets Gary Patterson or a top 10 PROVEN COACH, not a JOKE of a coach and UNPROVEN one (Kiffen)!!! Don't blame it on the fans! Fans seen the writing on the wall with the OL being the weakest link on the team and Fulmer not recruiting OL and DL. He seemed to have forgotten what won the NC in 1998, trenches. Did you forget that Cutcliffe had already left for Duke and the CLAWFENSE that Fulmer let happen was HORRENDOUS!!! You need to get YOUR FACTS STRAIGHT before calling out a bunch of fans and calling them NegaVols!!!!!

Arguing we should have retained Fulmer because we made three awful hires after him is like saying you shouldn’t have had life-saving surgery because you got killed in a car accident a year later.

Phil’s record against the coaches that occupied the seats of all the major SEC programs in 2008 was bad and downright abyssmal without Cutcliffe.

If we hire Patterson in 2009 or a semi-competent coach in 2010 or 2012, that record looks a lot different. Patterson probably has added some hardware to our trophy case.

This times a million! I read after replying myself. This is a great point!

Fulmer with Cutcliffe----and Fulmer sans Cutcliffe..... that's how you have to look at it to get the picture.

Having said that---I will be man enough to admit that I was WRONG for wanting Fulmer fired all those years ago.

I don't believe that he could have possibly done WORSE than the 3 stooges we hired before CJP.

Most of us were only wrong due to the incompetence in the AD with shelling out a ton of money to get a top 10 HC!!! Kiffin would have had us on probation had he stayed. Dooley couldn't recruit, didn't recruit OL/DL. Butch couldn't coach his way out of a paperbag, couldn't develop, and couldn't manage the team! Pruitt is the guy! He will return UT to a top 10 team soon! Let's hope we can retain him and keep Bama from trying to take him when Saban retires. I know it is early and he hasn't proven a thing. But, Finebaum is clueless! It wasn't CJP's fault several quit on the team vs Mizz and Candy and he didn't have replacements and depth!!! The fact that UT beat a solid UK team and pretty good AU team at their place with an inexperienced OC with no SEC coaching experience says a ton! Now, UT has Ansley, Tee, and Chaney as coaches. UT is on the rise and should win a minimum of 7 regular season games this year!!!

Reactions: SpookyAction
Mike Hamilton sabatoged UT, period! If he had the donors in his back pocket instead of Fulmer having most of them, UT spends the money and gets Gary Patterson or a top 10 PROVEN COACH, not a JOKE of a coach and UNPROVEN one (Kiffen)!!! Don't blame it on the fans! Fans seen the writing on the wall with the OL being the weakest link on the team and Fulmer not recruiting OL and DL. He seemed to have forgotten what won the NC in 1998, trenches. Did you forget that Cutcliffe had already left for Duke and the CLAWFENSE that Fulmer let happen was HORRENDOUS!!! You need to get YOUR FACTS STRAIGHT before calling out a bunch of fans and calling them NegaVols!!!!!
Keep polishing!!

Keep polishing!!

You are CLUELESS with NO FACTS! The FACT that you said fans ran Cutcliffe off SHOWS YOUR IGNORANCE! UT hired the wrong HC in the first place. FULMER was riding CUTCLIFFE's success! Had Cutcliffe been promoted to HC and Fulmer let go. Eli Manning comes to UT instead of Ole Miss and UT would have probably been one of the winningest teams in the SEC the last decade with CDC as HC!!! Fulmer was NEVER A GREAT OFFENSIVE MIND!!! Nothing proved it more than when Fulmer hired Dave Clawson and was so excited with David Clawson before the 2008 season. 2008 was the worse offense UT had in 30 years!!! Fulmer was always the HC that was a very good recruiter and had all the donors in his back pocket, nothing more. Cutcliffe and Chavis were the GREAT COACHES on the staff during Fulmer's tenure, NOT FULMER.

Last edited:
Most of us were only wrong due to the incompetence in the AD with shelling out a ton of money to get a top 10 HC!!! Kiffin would have had us on probation had he stayed. Dooley couldn't recruit, didn't recruit OL/DL. Butch couldn't coach his way out of a paperbag, couldn't develop, and couldn't manage the team! Pruitt is the guy! He will return UT to a top 10 team soon! Let's hope we can retain him and keep Bama from trying to take him when Saban retires. I know it is early and he hasn't proven a thing. But, Finebaum is clueless! It wasn't CJP's fault several quit on the team vs Mizz and Candy and he didn't have replacements and depth!!! The fact that UT beat a solid UK team and pretty good AU team at their place with an inexperienced OC with no SEC coaching experience says a ton! Now, UT has Ansley, Tee, and Chaney as coaches. UT is on the rise and should win a minimum of 7 regular season games this year!!!
I agree with all of that except for blaming the incompetent AD. The mob ran Coach out of town at least a year too soon and basically made a man that had given his entire life to the University, a man that turned down Bear Bryant to wear orange, a HOF NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIP coach with a monster W/L record look like a fool for firing him mid season to hire probation to be Kiffen. He had earned better treatment from all of the fans, especially the clueless win at all cost fringe NegaVols. Check out his record vs Alabama sometime and let me know when that is going to happen again. The mob caused it and they were led by the NegaVols and everyone that has had internet for the last 20 years knows it. It gets thrown back up every now and again because the NegaVols were miserable to deal with back then just as they are now. They love to dish it out but cry fowl when you serve it to them.

FWIW I'm a huge fan of our current AD as well as Coach Pruitt, this staff and this group of players. I believe we'll be highly successful THIS season.

Reactions: HuntlandVolinColo
I agree with all of that except for blaming the incompetent AD. The mob ran Coach out of town at least a year too soon and basically made a man that had given his entire life to the University, a man that turned down Bear Bryant to wear orange, a HOF NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIP coach with a monster W/L record look like a fool for firing him mid season to hire probation to be Kiffen. He had earned better treatment from all of the fans, especially the clueless win at all cost fringe NegaVols. Check out his record vs Alabama sometime and let me know when that is going to happen again. The mob caused it and they were led by the NegaVols and everyone that has had internet for the last 20 years knows it. It gets thrown back up every now and again because the NegaVols were miserable to deal with back then just as they are now. They love to dish it out but cry fowl when you serve it to them.

FWIW I'm a huge fan of our current AD as well as Coach Pruitt, this staff and this group of players. I believe we'll be highly successful THIS season.

I love coach Fulmer's loyalty and work ethic. I do agree with you. Hamilton handled the firing in a classless way and was a moron! But, I truly believe The Chief and Cutcliffe were the great coaches on the staff, not Fulmer. You saw how the O improved and was the worse O in 30 years when Cutcliffe came back for a year before going to Duke. Fulmer knew so little about a great O he hired an incompetent Clawson with a West Coast type offense that doesn't cut it in the SEC. Fulmer was so excited before the 2008 season that he was bragging about how good the O looked in practice and how exciting and good the O was going to be. Well, it was the worse O in 30 years for UT. Doesn't that say it all about Fulmer's lack of being an offensive mastermind? Don't be fooled. Cutcliffe was ALWAYS THE MASTERMIND BEHIND THE OFFENSE, not Fulmer! Cutcliffe should have been promoted to HC, not Fulmer! Peyton said he came to UT due to Cutcliffe and Eli would have too had Cutcliffe not went to Ole Miss.

By the way, Bama wasn't the powerhouse during Fulmer's tenure like they have been the last 10 years. Saban went 7-6 his first year as HC LOSING TO LOUISIANA MONROE and still won vs UT 41-17. Saban was 2-0 vs Fulmer before he built a juggernaut!!! Yeah, Fulmer was going to win consistently vs Saban, NOT!!!!!

Last edited:

VN Store

Back