SEC OFFICIAL NANCE [bumps Barnes]

I never implied that, nor am I trying to be doom and gloom. I’m just stating facts on what I’ve seen so far from this team and from watching a multitude of other SEC games. The rest of our schedule is extremely difficult. Playing Kentucky, Arkansas, and Auburn twice puts us against the 8 ball. I hope I’m wrong.
Yeah right now it’s pretty obvious that we’re unlikely to make the tourney. But the odds aren’t nil. We still can improve and win some games

Washington is no longer a quality win. It was at the time, but not anymore. They are 12-9 and have lost a few games to mediocre teams in their conference. They are currently 11th in the Pac-12. Beating Kansas would have given us a quality win that we needed.
Well, they still have a NET ranking of 48 as of this morning, and Tennessee hows as having 2 Q1 wins. VCU is in the high 30s, so outside of those two wins, not sure who else we have beaten that would qualify.

You may not like it or agree with it, but it sounds like your only argument is Washington’s current record and standing in the Pac12. The metrics used by the committee to determine it shows Tennessee with 2 quality wins.

Reactions: VolGee4
Washington is no longer a quality win. It was at the time, but not anymore. They are 12-9 and have lost a few games to mediocre teams in their conference. They are currently 11th in the Pac-12. Beating Kansas would have given us a quality win that we needed.

According to the criteria, Washington is a quality win. Doesn't matter their record. Washington is still top 50 in KenPom and in the NET. A quadrant one win is a top 50 NET win on a neutral court.

Edit: Chris got it. I'm too slow.

Reactions: cncchris33
Well, they still have a NET ranking of 48 as of this morning, and Tennessee hows as having 2 Q1 wins. VCU is in the high 30s, so outside of those two wins, not sure who else we have beaten that would qualify.

You may not like it or agree with it, but it sounds like your only argument is Washington’s current record and standing in the Pac12. The metrics used by the committee to determine it shows Tennessee with 2 quality wins.
Washington and VCU are our current Q1 wins. We are 2-4 in Q1 games (Kansas, FSU, Cincinnati, LSU). I think it’s fair to say that Washington isn’t going to end up being a Q1 win though. If they fall 3 more spots, they move to Q2.

Yeah. I mean I understand saying we deserved to lose this game, but I don’t think we should have with some of those calls, if that makes sense. Overreacted in the game thread, but this was really, really poorly officiated for around the last 15 minutes at least
Never understood the whole “ we played so bad we deserved to lose” crowd. So the team that played even worse and needed crooked calls from officiating deserved to win? Not really referencing this specific game but just in general I’ve never understood that line of logic.

Barnes did go after his team repeatedly. All over Bowden, Pons, Vescovi, Fulky. Absolutely chewed them out.
Good, they absolutely deserved it imo.
My comment was admittedly based on the few times the camera angle showed Barnes and staff sitting down, while A&M's coach was working the entire length of the floor and seemingly "actively" coaching his players.
I know Barnes isn't that type of coach, but it's hard to watch at times when the team looks like it did last night.

Reactions: cardvolfan
Never understood the whole “ we played so bad we deserved to lose” crowd. So the team that played even worse and needed crooked calls from officiating deserved to win? Not really referencing this specific game but just in general I’ve never understood that line of logic.
Barnes said it, and I agree. Bad calls aside, if you're outrebounded 46-21, you probably shouldn't win.

Good, they absolutely deserved it imo.
My comment was admittedly based on the few times the camera angle showed Barnes and staff sitting down, while A&M's coach was working the entire length of the floor and seemingly "actively" coaching his players.
I know Barnes isn't that type of coach, but it's hard to watch at times when the team looks like it did last night.
Yeah, I go and sit behind the bench. He was absolutely the most vocal he has been. I cringed a few times when he got onto Bowden, who had just committed 3 turnovers in 2 minutes. It's hard to know unless you have a vantage point.

Reactions: lostsheep
Barnes said it, and I agree. Bad calls aside, if you're outrebounded 46-21, you probably shouldn't win.
I agree, but even so somehow we still should have won that game barring some criminal officiating. But either way as I previously stated wasn’t necessarily referencing only this game. Just talking about that mindset in general.

Reactions: cardvolfan
Yeah right now it’s pretty obvious that we’re unlikely to make the tourney. But the odds aren’t nil. We still can improve and win some games
The thing is that Tennessee can have an ugly loss like this, yet turn around the next time and surprise us. I think we win once against KY and once against Auburn. May get slaughtered, but I think the identity of this team is up and down.

Not sure how close the Vol Network crew was to CRB, but Bertelkamp clearly mentioned the 'bump' in the broadcast and said 'no, you bumped him'.

Not sure how close the Vol Network crew was to CRB, but Bertelkamp clearly mentioned the 'bump' in the broadcast and said 'no, you bumped him'.
I was there.....sit down low.....clearly saw the call by the official as a block. He signaled blocking on the call in question near the end, then it was changed.

It kind of comes from a place of being mad at the team.

Will Rick Barnes be available Saturday? I ask as he needs to be put in the Concussion Protocol following the hit from Nance. This is the only reason one would use the word "Trust" and "SEC Office" in the same sentence.

Own an sports officials organization. Have officials and former officals calling at all levels and all major sports.

Scheduling is the priority issue. Officials get sick, take vacations, family emergencies, etc. Pulling an official from geography X to geo Z on short notice may be unavoidable. This isn't the same as Employee A walking down the hall to do Empoyee B's daily.

It's a nightmare.

Own an sports officials organization. Have officials and former officals calling at all levels and all major sports.

Scheduling is the priority issue. Officials get sick, take vacations, family emergencies, etc. Pulling an official from geography X to geo Z on short notice may be unavoidable. This isn't the same as Employee A walking down the hall to do Empoyee B's daily.

It's a nightmare.

So you’re saying the official was sick or tired?

Reactions: cobbwebb0710

VN Store

Back