SEC OFFICIAL NANCE [bumps Barnes]

Anyone who thinks the officiating can't and doesn't determine the outcome of games needs to pay better attention. Get snippy with an umpire in a baseball game and watch the strike zone change for your team. Officials carry grudges as well. I've seen this on more than one occasion. They tend to get fixated on a player as well, that kid fouls alot, travels alot. Etc. I remember years ago being asked to fill in one game as an official, they were short a man. While I was very knowledgeable of the game I had never officiated. So I asked the head official, what if I make a call and it looks to be in question? His response, whatever call you make I'll up hold it. And you do the same for me. That's how it works, we don't want to appear unsure of our decision and give the coach or fans an opportunity to question us.

Wait, you mean to tell me they put the wrong guy on the line after the Fulkerson "illegal" screen?

I know they put Flagg on the line, earlier, when it should have been Aku (I believe), but are you speaking of another instance following the call against Fulk?

If so, that isn't even the biggest issue with that play.
I was referring to the highly illegal box out

I was referring to the highly illegal box out
Ok, I was going to say. I nearly blacked out at how bad the foul on Fulk was that effectively ended our chances, that I didn’t pay much attention after that. But if they put ANYONE on the line to shoot following that, it was an egregious error because you obviously don’t shoot FTs after an offensive foul.

Anyone who thinks the officiating can't and doesn't determine the outcome of games needs to pay better attention. Get snippy with an umpire in a baseball game and watch the strike zone change for your team. Officials carry grudges as well. I've seen this on more than one occasion. They tend to get fixated on a player as well, that kid fouls alot, travels alot. Etc. I remember years ago being asked to fill in one game as an official, they were short a man. While I was very knowledgeable of the game I had never officiated. So I asked the head official, what if I make a call and it looks to be in question? His response, whatever call you make I'll up hold it. And you do the same for me. That's how it works, we don't want to appear unsure of our decision and give the coach or fans an opportunity to question us.
That is officiating 101, especially when working with an inexperienced official. We are trained to have each other’s back, and as long as you can explain to your partner(s) why you called what you did, they will try and back you up. If it is just a really bad blown call, officials can gather and collectively change the call, if able (charge vs block). If it is a walk or double-dribble, for example, it’s nearly impossible to reverse since it involved one player and stopped play. You just play on and allow the more experienced official handle it. Unofficially, there is a such thing as make-up calls.

Pretty sure losing at home to a team who's RPI is 141 just shot any tournament hopes all to hell
Barring a run of beating teams we probably shouldn’t, you are most likely correct. We were hanging by a thread and needed all the “gimmes” we could get. This was likely the second easiest remaining game on our schedule outside of Vandy at home.

I say this every year, but one year it will come true; every year I consider just quitting watching college basketball because of the officiating and how it gets worse every season.

I know fans complain about officiating in every organized sport, but IMO college basketball is head and shoulders the absolute worst. Officiating in college basketball is WAY too subjective and inconsistent game to game, crew to crew, and sometimes even half to half. College basketball refs by far seem the worst affected by home crowds/status of one of the teams playing (i.e. blue bloods get better calls). And way too many college basketball refs put the spotlight on themselves and make it about them (i.e. TV Teddy). It gets worse every season and yet the NCAA refuses to do anything about it.

I say this every year, but one year it will come true; every year I consider just quitting watching college basketball because of the officiating and how it gets worse every season.

I know fans complain about officiating in every organized sport, but IMO college basketball is head and shoulders the absolute worst. Officiating in college basketball is WAY too subjective and inconsistent game to game, crew to crew, and sometimes even half to half. College basketball refs by far seem the worst affected by home crowds/status of one of the teams playing (i.e. blue bloods get better calls). And way too many college basketball refs put the spotlight on themselves and make it about them (i.e. TV Teddy). It gets worse every season and yet the NCAA refuses to do anything about it.
To be fair, it is the most difficult sport to officiate, but the quality is just so bad. The SEC seems particularly bad, which is odd for such a brand name conference. It just feels like it gets worse once we are in conference.

Reactions: Lankykong
I’ve been watching NCAA basketball for 50+ years and I have never seen anything approach this level of obvious intentional confrontation by an official... EVER! I have a few friends who have retired from the SEC and a couple still officiating. Most of these men are above reproach but just by the shear numbers you’re going to get a few low character individuals in the pool. Based on his actions last night CLEARLY Nance may be one of those men. Hopefully the SEC office will take action but consequence for wrong doings these days doesn’t seem to be a high priority in any area of life ...SMH!

Agreed.

It’s no better than the NBA right now.

I'm with you on this. Officiating is pathetic across the college game and I've felt for years the Vols have the most pathetic " home court advantage " in the league.

The SEC takes it to an even lower with the guys they trot out though with Nance being the latest example.

Reactions: ttocswob
Bowden continues to be an issue. This is more than just a slump. If we want any chance of the tournament he has to turn it around fast
We aren't making the tournament at this point. We have no quality wins and we still have at least 7 more losses on our schedule. We still have play Kentucky, Auburn, and Arkansas. Florida and Alabama will probably beat us as well.

I think I responded to you in another thread about this. I have watched far less because of it. It’s unfortunate for the players, but the product is terrible, mainly because of officiating. It’s been brewing for a while, too. We see the same characters over and over again.

You know it’s about ego when Teddy V was called out for an unprofessional act, was halfway disciplined by a league, and publicly threatened to retire. Then, because he can’t stand it, he was back to a full schedule within a few weeks. These guys love the spotlight and love the challenge to go up against million dollar coaches. It’s a problem that doesn’t seem to have a fix right now.

We aren't making the tournament at this point. We have no quality wins and we still have at least 7 more losses on our schedule. We still have play Kentucky, Auburn, and Arkansas. Florida and Alabama will probably beat us as well.
Cancel the season then I guess? 🙄

While I don’t disagree that we are solidly on the outside looking in, Washington and VCU on neutral courts are both quality wins.

To be fair, it is the most difficult sport to officiate, but the quality is just so bad. The SEC seems particularly bad, which is odd for such a brand name conference. It just feels like it gets worse once we are in conference.

I’m just asking for more consistency.

If a crew wants to call it tight, call it tight. If they want to “let them play”, then let them play. But establish it early and stick with it. Don’t go from one to another during the game because teams can’t get a rhythm or flow. Don’t call one half different than the other and sure as heck don’t call it one way on one side of the court than the other.

I can’t take any crew seriously that lets one player basically mug on one end then on the next end calls a touch foul. That’s just pathetic and the NCAA needs to punish crews for being inconsistent like that.

Last edited:
Cancel the season then I guess? 🙄
I never implied that, nor am I trying to be doom and gloom. I’m just stating facts on what I’ve seen so far from this team and from watching a multitude of other SEC games. The rest of our schedule is extremely difficult. Playing Kentucky, Arkansas, and Auburn twice puts us against the 8 ball. I hope I’m wrong.

While I don’t disagree that we are solidly on the outside looking in, Washington and VCU on neutral courts are both quality wins.
Washington is no longer a quality win. It was at the time, but not anymore. They are 12-9 and have lost a few games to mediocre teams in their conference. They are currently 11th in the Pac-12. Beating Kansas would have given us a quality win that we needed.

VN Store

Back