SEC Expansion

The real prizes would be a combo of UNC, Duke, NC State, UVA, VPI and then the Oklahoma schools.

The D.C. Metro area with Raleigh, Charlotte and or Ok City markets are the goals. West Virginia would be a good fit culturally and competitively but do not bring any tv screens. They rank around 40th in a declining state population. UCF doesn’t bring anything that Florida doesn’t bring from Orlando and there are about a million reasons why Georgia Tech shouldn’t t be given a thought.

Are these actual statistics, or just your personal opinion? Are poor people in West Virginia really that much more impoverished than poor people in Mississippi, Arkansas, Louisiana, Tennessee, Alabama, etc? They are all in the bottom 20% of income.

You're correct that West Virginia's poor aren't necessarily "poorer" than these other states. But it's not just that they're poor; there are fewer of them. There are more than a million more people in Mississippi than WV. Same goes for Arkansas. There are 2.5 million more people in Kentucky. 3 million more in Alabama and Louisiana.

I completely agree WVU in the Big 12 is absurd from a travel perspective, but the West Virginia/Pittsburgh TV market can't be any worse than Lubbock, Ames, or Manhattan.

I'm sure it's not worse than Ames or Manhattan, but those teams were a part of the conference* before TV became the driving factor. If the Big XII were forming today, those teams wouldn't make the cut. And if the Big XII were to fold tomorrow, those teams would be scrambling to land in the AAC, MAC, or CUSA. Adding another market on par with Ames or Manhattan was moronic when Louisville was available.

*I know that technically the Big XII is a totally different conference from the Big 8. But given that the Big 8 moved to the Big XII en masse, that's splitting hairs.

Reactions: RDU VOL#14
I live very close to TCU. Even in FW, they are way down the totem pole. Same with any school in Texas not named UT or aTm.

TCU has one of the smallest fan bases in Power 5. They struggle to fill a 40,000 seat stadium. And I suspect that the rest of the Texas schools struggle the same.

OkSt has the same issue with OU in that state.

I'm not arguing for TCU. I don't think adding a 4th Texas school was terribly wise. But it was a far better decision than adding WVU.

And I haven’t even mentioned the Kansas and Iowa schools.

The Big XII is a train wreck but not because of only WVa. They only have two marquee programs that are the flagship program in their state (Kansas and WVa are the main programs in small states).

You're completely correct. The Big XII only has two schools that are worth anything to other leagues: Texas and Oklahoma.

I'm not arguing for TCU. I don't think adding a 4th Texas school was terribly wise. But it was a far better decision than adding WVU.

We will have to agree to disagree. I’ve watched TCU play in both stadiums. WVa has a much larger following than TCU. And likely many other Big XII schools.

We will have to agree to disagree. I’ve watched TCU play in both stadiums. WVa has a much larger following than TCU. And likely many other Big XII schools.

I can't speak much to TCU. I've only been there once. I've been to Morgantown, and they do a fine job packing their stadium. But I've been to multiple games where WVU was the visitor, and one at a neutral site, and their fan contingent was less than impressive.

Still, from a value perspective, TCU simply being in the Dallas-Fort Worth media market comes with a certain amount of value. And, obviously, the distance factor weighs in TCU's favor.

All of that said, neither was a good choice.

Reactions: Doberman
Does the board think that the SEC will expand again anytime soon and who would you like to see join the SEC?

I think Oklahoma State, West Virginia and Virginia and North Carolina State would be good additions.

Thoughts?
Maybe WVU or VT, but UVA would never leave ACC and don’t see NC state leaving either.

I think cord cutting effectively ends the idea of conference expansion. And the SEC needs to plan for a dramatic pay cut from ESPN when that contracts up for negotiation. The conference will be getting a significant hair cut.

Agreed. Texas runs the Big 12 currently. Doubt they'd give that up to come to the SEC.
Texas historically destroys whatever conference they are in. They did it to the old SWC and now they are doing it to the Big 12. They are Texas sized @$$holes. The way they wanted to get all litigious with us over "UT" for example, though Tennessee is a far older school.

Let’s wait until the end of the season and make offers to all the current non-SEC teams that finish in the top 25. Let the Big Ten have their 14 teams. If the SEC has 30, no one will question which conference is best.

Does the board think that the SEC will expand again anytime soon and who would you like to see join the SEC?

I think Oklahoma State, West Virginia and Virginia and North Carolina State would be good additions.

Thoughts?

I heard a few years back that OK wanted to go to the SEC (Texas didn't just pizz off aTm you know). OKST wants to follow OK but that doesn't always bode well for TV ratings as you just need one team from a state/TV market.

I think OK or Kansas State & OKSt from Big12 (Iowa State maybe but way North). TV Markets to harness: OK, Kansas (Mizzou does this some already), Iowa.

I think from the East Coast: NCST/Virginia/Maryland/VT/Wake Forest/Duke/NC in that order. Although Maryland just recently moved to B1G and I think Duke/NC would have to be a package deal. TV markets to harness: NC, VA, MD, DC. I suppose you could add WV or Pitt to encroach more into OH/PA but I don't think that would happen, especially WV.

We could add Iowa State and Pitt just to infuriate the B1G! :cool:

Last edited:

VN Store

Back