SEC Expansion

They need to add one more conference to the power five, winners play in a 6 team playoff, two highest ranking teams getting a bye.

It would be better if the Big XII contracts. Keep the four team playoff. The conference title games act as quarterfinals.

Reactions: leon
I live in Big XII country and I’ve never heard that.

Talk to the admins at the various schools. WVU is a millstone around the neck of a conference that was already drowning. The travel is absurd, the fanbase is poor, and the state has few TV sets.

The Big XII is in a terrible spot right now. Their options are so crappy that ESPN and Fox are willing to give them handouts so that they don't add any more schools. The league will only last as long as Texas desires, and their media partners are likely to incentivize Texas and OU to leave when the rights come up for renewal.

Talk to the admins at the various schools. WVU is a millstone around the neck of a conference that was already drowning. The travel is absurd, the fanbase is poor, and the state has few TV sets.

The Big XII is in a terrible spot right now. Their options are so crappy that ESPN and Fox are willing to give them handouts so that they don't add any more schools. The league will only lasts as long as Texas desires, and their media partners are likely to incentivize Texas and OU to leave when the rights come up for renewal.
I hear radio reception is iffy as well!!

I didn't want the last 4 additions especially the last 2. I don't want any more teams than we have now. It screws up tradition.
My .02

Does the board think that the SEC will expand again anytime soon and who would you like to see join the SEC?

I think Oklahoma State, West Virginia and Virginia and North Carolina State would be good additions.

Thoughts?
I think North Carolina would be a good fit.

I get the travel, but the fan base and TV sets can’t be much different than OkSt, TCU, TexTech, Baylor, etc.

Or SEC schools like Vandy, MissSt, etc.

WVa brings competitive football and basketball programs. I would add them for the basketball alone, and the football team consistently makes a bowl and will have a really good season every now and then.

Reactions: sport3500
Does the board think that the SEC will expand again anytime soon and who would you like to see join the SEC?

I think Oklahoma State, West Virginia and Virginia and North Carolina State would be good additions.

Thoughts?
Not that it's going to happen, but the only additions I'd be O.K. with are Oklahoma and Texas. Texas won't happen because it would be admitting that little brother (A&M) was a helluva lot smarter than they were. Also they like to think they're too good for the SEC. Oklahoma would come in a New York minute, but the downside is that other than a traditionally strong program, they bring no eyeballs (rattlesnakes, coyotes, and jackrabbits don't count).

The Big XII is in a terrible spot right now. Their options are so crappy that ESPN and Fox are willing to give them handouts so that they don't add any more schools. The league will only last as long as Texas desires, and their media partners are likely to incentivize Texas and OU to leave when the rights come up for renewal.
Are these actual statistics, or just your personal opinion? Are poor people in West Virginia really that much more impoverished than poor people in Mississippi, Arkansas, Louisiana, Tennessee, Alabama, etc? They are all in the bottom 20% of income. I completely agree WVU in the Big 12 is absurd from a travel perspective, but the West Virginia/Pittsburgh TV market can't be any worse than Lubbock, Ames, or Manhattan.

I could see Arkansas leaving for the Big 12 sometime in the future and I could see Missouri going to the Big 10+2.
I've lived in Arkansas for 45 years and was a witness to the Hogs jumping ship for the SEC. 95% of the Hog fans want to stay here. You always have that 5% whose nostalgia outweighs their memories. The Hogs left because Texas ran the SWC as if it was their own personal toy. The only explanation I can give for that 5% is that it is some kind of Stockholm Syndrome.

You might have a case with Okie Lite. But TCU is in Fort Worth. Baylor is in Waco. Even the West Texas wastelands have more eyeballs than WV.

I live very close to TCU. Even in FW, they are way down the totem pole. Same with any school in Texas not named UT or aTm.

TCU has one of the smallest fan bases in Power 5. They struggle to fill a 40,000 seat stadium. And I suspect that the rest of the Texas schools struggle the same.

OkSt has the same issue with OU in that state.

I'm a big fan of re-alignment because Missouri is not in the east - this makes the most sense...
but I wouldn't add anybody.

SEC East:
Florida
Georgia
Tennessee
South Carolina
Kentucky
Auburn
Vanderbilt

SEC West:
Texas A&M
LSU
Alabama
Arkansas
Ole Miss
Missouri
Miss St

Only problem is this would eliminate Alabama as our permanent West opponent. Granted, I know many are in favor of this (I'm not), but there's no way Alabama is going to give up playing Auburn every single year.

And I haven’t even mentioned the Kansas and Iowa schools.

The Big XII is a train wreck but not because of only WVa. They only have two marquee programs that are the flagship program in their state (Kansas and WVa are the main programs in small states).

Last edited:

VN Store

Back